Blizzard @ Gamescom 2019 Update

General Discussion
Breaking: From the EU Blizzard website regarding the biggest gaming convention in the EU. Blizzard has had a booth for at least 10 years and sometimes announces major things there. Speculation in the Diablo community was that we might hear about new things at PaxEast, Gamescom, or at the latest, Blizzcon. Very unusual for them not to have a booth there.

Guess it is going to be Blizzcon if we hear anything for Diablo at all?

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/blizzard/22937753/blizzard-and-gamescom-2019

Blizzard and gamescom 2019
Blizzard Entertainment 30 April 2019

As part of a renewed effort this year to maintain our focus on development, for our current games and our future projects, we won’t have a booth at gamescom 2019. The show is an important one for the European and global gaming community, and we’re going to miss meeting players in Cologne this year. You’ll still be able to find Blizzard gear in the gamescom 2019 shop area, and we’re looking forward to returning to the gamescom show floor in the future. We’re also looking forward to sharing more details about the projects we’re currently working on when the time is right.
Who care diablo: immortal is an abortion.
04/30/2019 09:03 AMPosted by MissCheetah

I doubt if we even hear about Diablo. They know D:I caused a backlash from all accounts pretty badly and I highly doubt if they have any new projects to announce yet.

May be in '20-'21 we hear about a new Diablo project. Actually I'm fine with that. They'd come to terms to improve D3 at least oncoming years, I hope?
TYVM MissCheetah,

Just more of the same.

"We have many plans for Diablo across multiple projects which we’ll be revealing over the course of the coming year."

Tomarrow is May already, we are still waiting.
A lot of companies are leaving these big conventions. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to not see any of them happen in the next years, honestly. Not only are they expensive to organize and attend to, but these days many decide to just organize their own thing online after seeing the success of stuff like Nintendo Direct, at a small fraction of these massive events' cost, and allow companies to connect directly with the audience and control their message far better.

I suppose Blizzard already had a headstart here with Blizzcon being an event centered around their own products, but after last year's fiasco and all the controversy surrounding the company as part of the company's culture shift, I feel the event as a whole was massively devalued. We'll have to see if they can somehow restore all the brand damage they've done.
04/30/2019 09:15 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
A lot of companies are leaving these big conventions. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to not see any of them happen in the next years, honestly. Not only are they expensive to organize and attend to, but these days many decide to just organize their own thing online after seeing the success of stuff like Nintendo Direct, at a small fraction of these massive events' cost, and allow companies to connect directly with the audience and control their message far better.

I suppose Blizzard already had a headstart here with Blizzcon being an event centered around their own products, but after last year's fiasco and all the controversy surrounding the company as part of the company's culture shift, I feel the event as a whole was massively devalued. We'll have to see if they can somehow restore all the brand damage they've done.

I might agree with you if they did any other events in the EU. This is their only conference on the continent they usually participate in. Most in the EU can't/won't spend funds to come to Blizzcon. It is a major marketing opportunity lost, unless they have nothing to market this year.
No way they would cancel Blizzcon just because Diablo didn't go over well last year. They're tightening the ship and refocusing after that disaster. While it remains to be seen what the company does with regard to Diablo, I do expect some news but not a big announcement.
04/30/2019 09:28 AMPosted by MissCheetah
04/30/2019 09:15 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

I might agree with you if they did any other events in the EU. This is their only conference on the continent they usually participate in. Most in the EU can't/won't spend funds to come to Blizzcon. It is a major marketing opportunity lost, unless they have nothing to market this year.

This is tied into the layoffs. People who plan these conventions have been decimated so they cant really do anything. The ones stil working are busy planning blizzcon.
I doubt they'd say they discontinued the development of Diablo for PC.

But on a second thought... I mean, after Blizzcon 2018 we have to expect anything, right? So, on a second thought... Who knows? We might hear even that!
This:

04/30/2019 09:11 AMPosted by Avalon

"We have many plans for Diablo across multiple projects which we’ll be revealing over the course of the coming year."

Although there has been an announcement that during the year news would be brought to us, it seems difficult to have something relevant to Diablo this year, especially in blizzcon, because the spotlight will be on the warcraft franchise, which turns 25 years. Another year lost, it seems.

It feels like at any moment we can be warned that things have taken more work than imagined and that nothing is ready, which would throw everything for next year. Honestly, my hopes are getting smaller and smaller.

Btw, at the current stage, I would be happy if they told me at least what they are planning.
As for the variant of "multiple projects" they used in their article, I'll believe it when I see it. Their lack of a presence at a major gaming convention due to having nothing to show for tells me everything I need to know about the validity of the "multiple projects" line.

But really, is it any wonder they're not going? Rest assured this never made it past their financial department. There wasn't a chance in hell of this happening this year. They're not going to spend gobs of money to send a bunch of people to Cologne when they have nothing at all to speak about. It's unnecessary spend. So...in a weird way...kudos, Activision! You finally got a decision right!
Thanks Miss C.
04/30/2019 09:28 AMPosted by MissCheetah
It is a major marketing opportunity lost, unless they have nothing to market this year.

Remember that in the post BlizzCon 2018 sticky they promised that there would be announcements of multiple projects in the following year. The fact that they won't be attending Gamescom 2019, which runs from the 21st to 24th August, means they have nothing to announce by then. That doesn't leave them a lot of months to announce stuff...
All this is a just a scam to catch naive people into an artificial hype train. Don't trust Actiblizz. Don't hold your breath.
04/30/2019 02:09 PMPosted by Chipoodle
All this is a just a scam to catch naive people into an artificial hype train. Don't trust Actiblizz. Don't hold your breath.

^^ +10
Blizzard's almost complete silence since BlizzCon definitely showcases how insecure they are feeling in the wake of the backlash they received.

My favorite part of this announcement is:

"You'll still be able to find Blizzard gear in the gamescom 2019 shop area"

So don't fret!! You can still attend gamescom and load up on Blizzard merch to fill Activision's coffers!!!
Breaking: From the EU Blizzard website regarding the biggest gaming convention in the EU. Blizzard has had a booth for at least 10 years and sometimes announces major things there. Speculation in the Diablo community was that we might hear about new things at PaxEast, Gamescom, or at the latest, Blizzcon. Very unusual for them not to have a booth there.

This is the first year I expect absolutely nothing from Blizzard, other than WoW content, which seems to be all they care about even though the ship is sinking.
Honestly, I'm not expecting anything from BlizzCon outside of the expected expansion reveal for WoW, as it's that time in the cycle again. Aside from that, I can't imagine much I'd really get all perky for.