T14-T16 was always intended

General Discussion
Just an observation, but the Torment selection screen had 3 empty spaces for many years...I always thought it looked unfinished.
Now that we have Torment 14, 15 & 16 and the screen is full I suspect that these "new" torment levels were always intended but not implemented, perhaps it was a decision made at RoS launch that they would be added later or perhaps it was a management decision...
Either way I believe Diablo is made more complete with these added torment levels.
Your thoughts??
Stash tab pages have empty spaces still.

StashGate 2.0 just happened.

Your move.
05/15/2019 09:15 PMPosted by TheTias
Stash tab pages have empty spaces still.

StashGate 2.0 just happened.

Your move.

Crying just happened!

Dry clean.
I welcome higher difficulties and rewards outside the monotony of Greater Rifts, but ideally they should have pared down all this irrelevant Torment levels to perhaps 6 or 10 total, and scaled the difficulty accordingly.

3 more Torment levels now means that, outside of starting a new character, there will simply be that many more difficulties that are completely empty, ignored, and meaningless.
05/15/2019 10:19 PMPosted by Agamemnicon
I welcome higher difficulties and rewards outside the monotony of Greater Rifts, but ideally they should have pared down all this irrelevant Torment levels to perhaps 6 or 10 total, and scaled the difficulty accordingly.

3 more Torment levels now means that, outside of starting a new character, there will simply be that many more difficulties that are completely empty, ignored, and meaningless.

Agreed. They should reduce torments to 6 - 10 and set the new difficults / exp / reward / drops.
I'm happy with where the great game of D3 is.
You'll never see me tell Blizz what they should do.

I might ask them to do something or say I would love to see this or that!
Someone get this guy a cookie.
That's not actually true.

The original difficulty screen was 5 options and the torment levels 1 to 6 were on a slider (5 panes of glass).

When they removed the slider option for torments they created an extra 5 panes of glass which showed monsters for the T1-T6 panes (5).

Then when they increased torment levels to t10 they flipped the monster panes around and added 4 of the 5 panes to the difficulty screen. It was probably at this point that they realized they could only have 10 more panes of glass before making new art assets which would give them room up to Torment 16.

If they ever decide to increase torment levels again they can always flip the hero panes around and put them in a new color. If you notice T12 starts off as red and T16 has red with a bit of purple in it. The new colors could start as purple and transition into blue. Or if they were super lazy they could just copy the other 20 panes in the same colors but in reverse which would give them enough room for T36 or GR 175.

Since they are unlikely to ever increase the GR limit past 150 this gives them a maximum limit of Torment 31 or 15 additional torment levels. Since there are only 20 panes of glass and they only have 15 panes left they could only go from T16 in this order, 5 Hero panes right facing, 5 monster panes left facing, 5 monster panes right facing. The last monster pane is empty which is symbolic of being the last torment level available.

But given how close D:I is to release and the "eventual" release of D4 (unless they kill the franchise) it's highly unlikely we will ever get an increase past T16.
I don't know. Empty part of the screen notwithstanding, 13 has something to it as a number. 16, not so much.
Apropos, at least to me, it would make sense to compress them all into 7. It would perhaps do away with some of the difficulties that no one ever plays, and 7 lvls of Hell would actually be quite fitting.
Power creep. Thats all this is. Might as well make paragon 20, 100...... etc etc
"We tested it until it was too hard for us, and then we doubled it" - Jay Wilson, development team lead, referring to the original Torment difficulty

Torment levels were added *after* loot 2.0