We need more! (Rant)

General Discussion
What is going on with AAA game companies today? Why is the Diablo 3 getting left in the dust content-wise by indie game developers? (just found out on steam that Titan Quest just got a new DLC called Atlantis FYI that is a very old game. WTH!?) Where is the Skovos Isles expansion /update for D3? what the hell is going on at Skovos Isles? I want to know.

Is Diablo 3 done? Is it only going to get 1 expansion and an unfinished story? How long do we have to wait?

To hell with the season stuff. Give us something new like new game Lore and story, New Maps, Monsters, Hero Skills, Boss fights and so on please just give us something new and epic we been waiting too long for something. Hell, the band Tool has a new album coming out why can't we get a new expansion?
rip
Money. This one is registered is a failure for Blizzard and not worth to them.
That's why the second Exp or whatever's left of it was chopped up and fed as patches after RoS
Diablo 3 should be allowed to die at least somewhat gracefully now. Diablo's future is clearly in a sequel. However, it's clear that after Blizzard North was eliminated any expertise and passion for this type of game has left Blizzard. And Blizzard has been moving for a long time now towards very casual and juvenile sensibility. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but as Diablo fan I have minimal confidence in their ability to provide a good Diablo game. I think they should consider selling the rights to the Diablo franchise to some company that knows what they're doing and actually cares about this type of game.
05/11/2019 06:45 AMPosted by Bodhisattwa
However, it's clear that after Blizzard North was eliminated any expertise and passion for this type of game has left Blizzard

QFT.
Would love to have the old team back.
but as Diablo fan I have minimal confidence in their ability to provide a good Diablo game

Same.
I have little to no confidence in what D4 might be, sorry.
I don't think this company is ever going to learn their lesson and I half expect we're still going to get radioactive neon flashing monsters that spawn pink laser beams. We're still going to have to chase purple timer balls while dodging nuclear explosions while the main baddies send us electronic/telepathic tweets letting us know all their plans.
should consider selling the rights to the Diablo franchise to some company that knows what they're doing and actually cares about this type of game

If only.
I've joked with some of my buddies that if I won the lottery I would gladly pay for the rights of Diablo franchise and get new people working on it, on top of enticing the old guard to come back.

The only thing carrying this game (and other Blizz titles) are their cinematics and music dept, which are outstanding.
However, it's clear that after Blizzard North was eliminated any expertise and passion for this type of game has left Blizzard

QFT.
Would love to have the old team back.

Yeah, after all, they've done such good work since they left Blizzard, especially that Brevik guy.

Oh, wait.
Because investors. Blizzard could release another expansion pack for Diablo 3, have it sell as many copies as its predecessor, and its stock would still decline. Why? Because they are not making more money. That is why Blizzard entered into the mobile game market, even though its IP's were traditionally played on a PC or console. Basically, Blizzard was taken by reports that the majority of so-called "gamers" played games on their phones, and presented this information to their investors in order to brag about how much money they were going to make.

That is not to say that Blizzard will abandon PC gamers. But, short of a financial disaster akin to one of Trump's businesses, you can expect Blizzard to embrace the lucrative mobile game market for the foreseeable future. *sigh*
The decision was and is about the financials. Activision Blizzard who own Candy Crush, which is the number one revenue generator on mobile platforms for them. It attracts a casual gamer market and it pays very well. So to try to grab a part of that casual gamer market with Immortal makes business sense, if it attracts this demographics.

As for D3.... The amount of people playing could not support an expansion, and any thing more than what we are currently getting. Now could we get something to tide us over until there is a possible Diablo 4, maybe but unlikely if it is in the nearer future. Development has costs, and sometimes the cost out weigh what the current player base would like.

So is D3 dead? Ya it's struggling and every season it looks like it is headed the way of D2. A 2000 to 5000 USA player base mid season can not support more content. It's a hard pill to swallow but it is the truth. Let's see what the future holds.
OP please don't compare Titan Quest new expac with Diablo 3.

What a mistake that is.

D3 is so much more than Titan Quest will ever be.

That being said.

I played Titan Quest first two expac when they came out years before Diablo III.
And it was fun. But it was a solo game (believe you could lan play)with no online available.
I've been trying out Grim Dawn and it's pretty fun, for a solo-style fixed game. I might go give POE a spin again. While I don't really enjoy that level of skill complexity or the graphics for the most part, it does provide a lot of game play and the few seasons I've done were a lot more fun than what D3 has.

I can only hope that they are working on a D4 that will rival the competition, and take to heart the many concerns and complaints that the players have had over the years. But with more and more companies focused on MOABs and MicroTrans/PtW, I would not even take a dollar bet on what the future holds for Diablo, if it has one outside of mobile.
The only popular ARPG adding content on a regular basis is because it has MTX to support the content. Blizzard sent out questionnaires years ago (after the AH was removed) asking if people would be open to things like MTX. Diablo fans were not happy WITH ANY MTX, not even cosmetics. I'm not judging, just saying they're a publicly shared company and they need a financial incentive to do anything.

- Diablo 3 and SC3 are the only semi-modern games Blizzard has without MTX/monthly fees and they both get trickles of content compared to their other games. HotS supposedly lost a lot of support but I think that has a lot to do with it not being very popular anymore- namely because LoL and Dota2. I understand expansions are different but, as far as constant content updates go, companies usually expect some form of constant revenue stream to maintain the staff they have working on the game. Blizzard has enough IPs going on at once that they would just move their Diablo 3 expansion staff around after any given expansion is done. Small paid expansions every few months would work but it would also be a nightmare for people to play with each other.
Nobody here is ever realistic. Blizzard is not an indie company anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

The endgame is MONEY. The indie developers are chasing the same thing. You'd be very surprised to find your favorite indie developer hit it big and end up being exactly like blizzard wouldn't you?

Well you shouldn't. Blizzard doesn't care about customers anymore. They gained enough of those.. The game now is profit. If blizzard were faced with improving one of their franchises.. Expanding it, adding content and an expansion or the destruction of their empire. They could have it done in a week. They would hire the people necessary and get it done.. They are not pressured by customers anymore. They are pressured by stockholder. If it's not profitable, it's not worth doing and it won't be done. I don't see why people are so blind to this. People are so hopeful. Why? Play the games you enjoy. If it's not enjoyable, don't play.

If D3 playerbase dropped to 0 it wouldn't exist as a game... Yet here it is. You are left with no choice. Accept it for what it is and what they decide they want it to be.. Or go play something else. In the end, they don't care about you... or me.. But who cares. You shouldn't
05/11/2019 12:43 PMPosted by Deadlyquiet
Blizzard doesn't care about customers anymore. They gained enough of those.. The game now is profit.

I'm not sure that is 100% accurate. The bottom line is making enough money to pay Dev's, Artists, Sound Engineers, and the many others it take to create a great game. Then the company deserves to make a profit too. They have to pay for building, hardware, repay loans, and investors. Do not forget bandwidth and servers. It's a fact of being in business, and that is OK.

However with no residual income coming in, they have to rely on a larger player base to support the game with xpacs, add on, or a monthly fee. The problem is D3 does not have a large enough player base to support any of that. The current model of lvl to 70, rift, gr's, rince and repeat, gets very old very quick. There is nothing to keep people excited anymore, so they leave.
05/11/2019 09:16 PMPosted by Chastiza
05/11/2019 12:43 PMPosted by Deadlyquiet
Blizzard doesn't care about customers anymore. They gained enough of those.. The game now is profit.

The problem is D3 does not have a large enough player base to support any of that.

This is exactly what I mean. The game is not profitable for the company. Therefore, communication with players, new content, patches, ideas, stash space.. Things like this are handled very poorly.

Blizzard as a corporation is a powerhouse. Do you honestly believe that a company like this can't handle adding stash space without the game breaking? They absolutely can.. But they won't. They bring down profit by hiring more people to handle things like this on a game that is not bringing in anything basically. They can but they won't is the story of everything here.

Can we get added stash space? We could... But not worth
Can you make some barbarian changes? We could... But not worth

Get it?
Don't expect a major movement on D3 at the term of updates before D:I released. It's so excruciating that D3 hangs by a thread to the D:I's success but that's truth for you.
05/11/2019 11:44 AMPosted by Madix
The only popular ARPG adding content on a regular basis is because it has MTX to support the content. Blizzard sent out questionnaires years ago (after the AH was removed) asking if people would be open to things like MTX. Diablo fans were not happy WITH ANY MTX, not even cosmetics. I'm not judging, just saying they're a publicly shared company and they need a financial incentive to do anything.

- Diablo 3 and SC3 are the only semi-modern games Blizzard has without MTX/monthly fees and they both get trickles of content compared to their other games. HotS supposedly lost a lot of support but I think that has a lot to do with it not being very popular anymore- namely because LoL and Dota2. I understand expansions are different but, as far as constant content updates go, companies usually expect some form of constant revenue stream to maintain the staff they have working on the game. Blizzard has enough IPs going on at once that they would just move their Diablo 3 expansion staff around after any given expansion is done. Small paid expansions every few months would work but it would also be a nightmare for people to play with each other.

Asking people if they want mtx in a game is such a dumb move. You just do your thing, make the game good and fun to play, and then just be loud and clear that you will implement some kind of cash shop with no pay to win mtx in order to keep up the development of the game. Let the product speaks for itself, then people will come to play if it's good.

To answer OP though, I think D3 is a lost cause. Would I like to see more content added to D3? Of course. But honestly I would rather they regroup and focus on the D4 instead. Learn all the wrongs from D3 and do it right this time.
People saying they want the old team back, remember that the old team thought it would be best for Diablo to be a turn based strategy game, Blizzard felt otherwise.

I know we loved D2, but the old team had a lot of flaws as well. Who really knows what would have happened to be honest, but I want a new team of passionate ARPG fans to be headlining the production of D4, not some old washed up developers who questioned the ARPG, or whatever the heck we want to call the D3 team.

A group of individuals who like RPG's and ARPG's and share our passion are going to make a great game, I believe that.
05/11/2019 11:31 PMPosted by Demonmonger
remember that the old team thought it would be best for Diablo to be a turn based strategy game

Not a strategy, a turn based dungeon crawler. Not the entire team but Brevik only envisioned Diablo this way, which he changed his mind after seeing how real-time combat can be enticing. Watch post mortem talk on Diablo with Brevik, it's over at Youtube.
Replicating success is almost impossible and just as likely to be done by a new crew as the old. What we need is not more but less. Diablo 3 is a huge confused mass of incoherent ideas warring with each other. Stop trying to be all things to all people and build games that make some sort of sense. All they're doing is driving up the cost and frequency of failure by attempting to turn every game into a blockbuster. Almost no one plays the same game for years so stop pretending that's a desirable market.

You people have bugger all idea how much influence stockholders have on games and what drives them. It's popularity. Build games that people like and investors will throw money at you. Build games that people don't like and no monetization scheme will make money for you.
05/11/2019 10:42 PMPosted by naksiloth
Don't expect a major movement on D3 at the term of updates before D:I released. It's so excruciating that D3 hangs by a thread to the D:I's success but that's truth for you.

I haven't looked at it this way, but there is some truth to it.

I would add that all Diablo projects hang in the lurch to D:I's eventual success/failure.

In any relationship, a change in the way that participants communicate truly shows the beginning or the end of said relationship.

Blizzard is not this way or that in their communication.

Their communication is simply broken.

Blizz says one thing, one day, then changes it later.
When confusion happens about what was said/done, Blizzard says and does another thing to make it even worse.

1) At recent Blizzcon, D:I is coming out soon.
Q: Really?

2) 5 stash tabs in PTR
a) changed to: Not all at once, but gated behind next 5 seasons.
b) changed to: Well, we'll do one stash tab, and stop there cause (think of a good reason) oh, all those nasty stash tabs are so laggy!

There is nothing wrong with all of us.
What is wrong is how we are being treated.