First primal drop can be for another class..

General Discussion
Today I learned that it is possible for the first primal drop to be for another class. In my case it was Zunimassa's Vision for the witch doctor, if only it was Swamp land waders.

https://gc-p.co/Golden/440be053.png
D3 at its finest...
Yeah, there is a small chance that the item that drops will not be a class item. They intended Smart Loot to rectify the horrors of getting a 2-handed Mighty Weapon for a Barbarian with Intelligence on it.

The chance of you getting a class-relevant drop is high, but there is a chance that you will get something else. The fact that this was your Primal drop is another indicator of the lack of global thinking by the devs...
well you have a guarantie a primal drop, nothing more nothing less, doesnt say it will be and upgrade for your currently build. deal whit it
^^ I know this thread is getting old, but I have to respond to this guy. ^^

So you're saying that our anticipation, our expectation, of the primal drop being something we can at least equip and use is a fallacy?

Do you think that any player, knowing in advance that their first guaranteed primal drop for the character will be something that the character absolutely can't use, will be pleased or feel rewarded for simply verifying that the mechanism works? That the player now has a fabulous 15 more Forgotten Souls? Souls that I could obtain in a single decent T13 Nephalem Rift.

Ever since this Primal Soul-O nonsense was introduced I have advocated for a parametric randomization of the item that would be dropped. In other words, the game would check the account and see what classes it has and what they are equipped with, and then drop something that would be usable by at least one of them.

It really seems to me that the devs dropped the ball on this one, because they made such a big deal over it at the outset, yet if you look at this forum, the people on your Friends list, the people you're playing a game with, the vast majority of them will show you their introductory Primal, and it will be laughable trash. Good only for the 15 Souls it provides.

TL;DR
The first GR70 Primal should be something that one of your characters can use, something you are gratified or even amazed at getting, something you can show off with glee to your Friends.
So start another character.

Such a pointless discussion.

Most primals are useless anyway.
05/18/2019 09:30 AMPosted by Golden
Today I learned that it is possible for the first primal drop to be for another class.

Yes, just like every other legendary, ancient or primal could be.
Crazy enough I got my first primal for the same class which is my wd. It was a very useful one. I do know the devs had said primals will be for another character when drop but I don't know the %. I'm just glad I got one for my hero. =)
I got the same primal as last year, Raekers gloves. I never play the charge builds as I hate the mechanics. Maybe next season...
05/19/2019 02:28 AMPosted by Grog
same

same as me.

a useless legendary Xbow (demon machine) that wouldnt even work with a LoN build :/

exact same one that dropped last season...
05/18/2019 08:22 PMPosted by Slamboney
^^ I know this thread is getting old, but I have to respond to this guy. ^^

So you're saying that our anticipation, our expectation, of the primal drop being something we can at least equip and use is a fallacy?

Do you think that any player, knowing in advance that their first guaranteed primal drop for the character will be something that the character absolutely can't use, will be pleased or feel rewarded for simply verifying that the mechanism works? That the player now has a fabulous 15 more Forgotten Souls? Souls that I could obtain in a single decent T13 Nephalem Rift.

Ever since this Primal Soul-O nonsense was introduced I have advocated for a parametric randomization of the item that would be dropped. In other words, the game would check the account and see what classes it has and what they are equipped with, and then drop something that would be usable by at least one of them.

It really seems to me that the devs dropped the ball on this one, because they made such a big deal over it at the outset, yet if you look at this forum, the people on your Friends list, the people you're playing a game with, the vast majority of them will show you their introductory Primal, and it will be laughable trash. Good only for the 15 Souls it provides.

TL;DR
The first GR70 Primal should be something that one of your characters can use, something you are gratified or even amazed at getting, something you can show off with glee to your Friends.

Yawn.

This would be why I actually completely forgot there was a guaranteed Primal - because it doesn’t mean anything.

It follows the drop rules the same as anything else. It’s a guaranteed Primal, not a guaranteed good item.
Why would you expect anything different? Its just a primal, it follows all the same rules as every other item that drops. Smart loot means 85% chance it drops for your class. Before smart loot you had a way lower chance.

[/quote]
Yes, there's actually a very neglible chance it is even usable.

Each class have a pool of over 200 legendaries, having 1 drop of the 13 you need for your build is a 6% chance of we don't consider legendary rarity. Furthermore even getting the correct rolls is very unlikely.

And then yes there is another layer of a 5% chance the drop won't be part of your class drop, but determined for a different class.

in a word, yes.
First primal can be any item in the game. And is affected by the 15% off class smart loot. What’s so shocking about it ? Why do people want even more handouts ind3
My first guaranteed (crappy) Primal was a thunder fury sword. I'm a DH.
I got the Vambraces of Sescheron (barbarian bracers) for my DH. I don't even have a barbarian to use them on. I was pretty disappointed.
05/20/2019 09:04 AMPosted by Prology

"I can haz?" - Kormac
05/20/2019 09:04 AMPosted by Prology

Give it to your Templar.
Mine was one of the 1h weapons that don't even have a legendary affix. Can't remember which.

At least yours might have been useful for a class.