S17 Wizard Walkthrough (Text)

Wizard
Wizard Seasonal Walkhrough S17

1. Make a Seasonal Character, join a game, then leave.
2. Complete Challenge Rift
3. Join Game With Seasonal Character; claim challenge rift bag
4. Upgrade Blacksmith using challenge Rift bag mats
5. Decide how to gamble your shards. Some suggested options (Etched Sigil (33), Goldwrap (1)/Shame of Delsere (20), Ashangarr's Bracers (1), Custerian Bracers (34). Remember, you generally do not want to go over the level, as the chances of that legendary decrease, sometimes significantly.

*I suggest the Etched Sigil root for Tal's or Firebirds set, and I suggest gambling, at level 20-30, for belts in hopes of Goldwrap and Shame of Delsere for LoN. You may elect to do *just* goldwrap at level 1.

*Should you choose the Custerian route, gamble the shards, hope for Custerian, equip them and then pick up the gold. You have a 1/5 chance of Custerian, but Nemesis and Ashangarr's and APDs are in this pool as well, and are all pretty useful.

6. Consider acquiring a Kanai's cube early. Did you get an extractable legendary?
7. Using the Challenge bag mats, craft a level 70 2 handed weapon with reduced level requirement at 40. Craft a weapon with CC as a secondary affix and reroll the NON-CC affix to get a reduced level requirement. If you craft a weapon that does not have CC or a good reduced level requirement, re-craft another.
8. Consider extracting legendary power of key legendaries early so that they are available early. Key legendaries are very likely the ones you gambled for, plus build-defining weapons. (Triumvirate, Unstable Scepter, Goldwrap, Shame of Delsere, Etched Sigil, etc)
9. Reach level 70. Congrats, you made it!
10. It is suggested you gamble on Wizard sources first, and upgrade either Wands (Unstable, Woh, Chantodo's, Aetherwalker.) or Swords (for In geom or Deathwish.) if you choose that path.
11. Begin Haedrig's Gift requirements (if applicable) or begin farming (LoN)
Cratic's suggested S17 LoN FO Video (Recommended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQUx2Sw0V0

Firebird's Season start by Bluddshed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_x0z2YbXI&t=451s

Seasonal Journey Tasks (Shamelessly Stolen from D3 Resource, all thanks to them)

https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc267/lasthopefa/Haedrigs.png
Someone is prepared :)

Now we just need a start date
I seem to level faster from easy bounties than from rifts. At least to level 30. Massacre bonus with the wizard is less than fluid :-/
05/08/2019 10:44 AMPosted by aloc
I seem to level faster from easy bounties than from rifts. At least to level 30. Massacre bonus with the wizard is less than fluid :-/

I agree. Gets a little easier after once you have Teleport and Disintegrate.

Also, if you get lucky and get an Etched Sigil, you can get some huge massacre streaks going in Fields of Misery with Blizzard: Apocalypse. Not the best DPS for killing elites, but you can basically string along the entire map with Apocalypse and stuff dies eventually. Covering the entire map with Apocalypse makes it pretty easy to keep your streak going. You just have to find that sweet spot where stuff dies quickly enough to be worth it, but not so quickly that you have trouble maintaining your streak. Pretty reliant on Etched Sigil for it to work though.

That's interesting. Wizard mobility is so limited until Aetherwalker, I would think running bounties would be slower. I mean, there is always the possible of a bad rift, but in general I would expect rifts to be faster. Plus, the drops are better and you get keystones.

05/08/2019 12:32 PMPosted by TinneOnnMuin

if you get lucky and get an Etched Sigil, you can get some huge massacre streaks going in Fields of Misery

I've run a few tests. At level 33, I generally get Etched Sigil maybe slightly more than half the time. The other half, I get Winter Fluffy (sic) and I die a little inside.

All in all, I'd prefer to do rifts, because I don't have aetherwalker ^-^

Edit: Equipping an Ancient weapon with gem of ease and Hellfire ring/amulet and power leveling yourself on t6 is ridiculous. I hit 33 in like 10 kills. Took me less than 2 minutes.
05/08/2019 12:43 PMPosted by Venaliter
Edit: Equipping an Ancient weapon with gem of ease and Hellfire ring/amulet and power leveling yourself on t6 is ridiculous. I hit 33 in like 10 kills. Took me less than 2 minutes.

Try it with a cow stick at t-6 with the streaks it is just nuts.
I dunno if I can stand the Firebird start. Especially without blood bracer (and maybe a few other niceties) acquired. The constant see-saw defense/no defense tends to annoy me. I'm torn between DH or WD start because of the ease of early progression.
05/09/2019 09:11 PMPosted by BossDogg
I dunno if I can stand the Firebird start. Especially without blood bracer (and maybe a few other niceties) acquired. The constant see-saw defense/no defense tends to annoy me. I'm torn between DH or WD start because of the ease of early progression.

Blood Bracer is one of the easier legendary to get as a Wizard. Make a level 1 Wiz, gamble 300 shards on Bracers, boom. I mean, you'll have to extract it, but it's ridiculously simple to get.
I agree Blood bracer is relatively easy to target but I've done a few rounds of experimentation only to spend upwards of 2-2.5k shards before blood bracers show up. Kadala can be truly evil. The first 2500 to 5000k shards as a fresh 70 are pretty critical to gaining speed or switching to another set.
The leveling I experienced was boosted greatly by the completion bonus. Small bounties give a large reward simply because he completion bonus is relatively huge. Find one wit a cursed chest and it seems to really come out well. Of course, I did this in solo. I’m not sure how the group dynamic changes things.

One time a friend of mine was leveling and got the rainbow goblin. Cosmic wings even dropped. That turd hasn’t hardly played since. Luck of the roll plays a big part in which path comes out ahead I guess. Getting the plans from bounty caches at least once seems reasonable. At least in an effort to get those sets that grant EXP around level 20.

Note that keys don’t drop till lvl 70, and you don’t get massacre bonuses in rifts :(. Good rifts do have better density though and more consistent blood shards.

I’m sure that massacre bonus is undoubtedly the fastest way to level at the seasonal start. Crafting the bonus exp sets would greatly increase it too. Isn’t the buff party wide?
05/10/2019 09:08 AMPosted by aloc
Crafting the bonus exp sets would greatly increase it too. Isn’t the buff party wide?

Yes, but I think it's diluted because of XP sharing.

So solo, you get 50% from Cain's. In a 4p group, each person gets 12.5% from one person wearing Cain's. Effectively, you're still earning 50% more XP for the group, but it's split out across the group because of XP sharing.

E.g. a normal kill nets 100 XP. Something dies. You gain 150 XP for the group, and the three other party members gain 100 XP for the group. That's 450 total XP, which is split across the group so everyone gets 112.5 XP.

You'd want all 4 people wearing Cain's (or Born's, or ruby in Leoric's Crown) for maximum effect.
@TinneOnnMuin:
Wow thank you. I wondered about this. Getting the recipies early means doing bounties and popping them early to get the recipes. However, it is mostly more profitable in the long term to not turn them in until level 70 so as to get level 70 bounty rewards/mats.
05/10/2019 05:19 AMPosted by BossDogg
I've done a few rounds of experimentation only to spend upwards of 2-2.5k shards before blood bracers show up.

Nah, man, you aren't understanding. Blood Bracers are EASY to get. You make a level 1 Wizard and you gamble shards on Bracers. There is only one possible legendary. It's Blood Bracers. Shouldn't take more than 500 shards. At level 70, it's harder; I might just reforge a pair I gambled at level 1 if it's an urgent need.

I wouldn't mind using a reforge on Blood Bracers, ancient ones are fairly hard to get and used for most every build.
05/10/2019 11:43 AMPosted by Venaliter
Blood Bracers are EASY to get. You make a level 1 Wizard and you gamble shards on Bracers.

Interesting. Didn't realize you could get them at level 1. Looks like you can get anything up to level 16 gambling on a level 1 character? Good to know.

There is only one possible legendary. It's Blood Bracers. Shouldn't take more than 500 shards.

Chance of getting Blood Bracers with 500 shards at level 1 should be 1-0.9^(500/25) = 87.8%. So yeah, pretty good chance.
Blood Bracers are EASY to get. You make a level 1 Wizard and you gamble shards on Bracers.

Interesting. Didn't realize you could get them at level 1. Looks like you can get anything up to level 16 gambling on a level 1 character? Good to know.

Yeah. Some classes have it really easy to get key multiplier items very easily and very early. Not Wizards. But like I said, Blood Bracers are pretty critical and this little trick makes them trivial to acquire.
@Venaliter
I fully understand how the strategy works. I popped a large swath of T-10 and T-13 bounty caches on a level 1 Wiz to fuel my shard gambling. It was way more than 500 shards. This was several seasons ago. I finally got the lowbie version of the Blood bracers. I then learned the hard way that reforging a lowbie legendary gives you another lowbie legendary. You do not end up with a level 70 item upon reforge of a lowbie legendary. Reforging a level 70 legendary while on a level 1 Wiz will result in a level 70 item. Upgrading a level 70 yellow bracer while on a level 1 Wiz does NOT guarantee a Blood Bracer end result.
Just for point of reference, Wizard low level item hunt:

[level required] - [Item]
1, 12 - Pox Faulds pants, Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer, Goldwrap Belt, Starfire, Unstable Scepter wands
23 - Shame of Delsere Belt
24 - Primus Hat
26 - Aquila chest
28 - Manald Heal ring
31 - Swami Hat
37 - Karini ring
37 - Fazula, Herbrash, Harrington Belts
37 - Camaral Hat
37 - Sigil, Mykens, Light of Grace Orbs
37 - Furnace mace
37 - Custerian, Ancient Parthan, Warzechian Armguards, Nemesis bracers
37 - Mantle of Channeling
37 - Hexing Pants
37 - Cindercoat
37 - Magefist, St. Archew's gloves
53 - Frag of Destiny wand
53 - Goldskin chest
63 - Tyrael's Might chest
62 - Arlyse ring
63 - Strongarm bracer
63 - Triumvirate Orb
63 - Nilfur's boot
63 - Frostburn, Tasker and Theo gloves
63 - Depth Digger pants
63 - Grand Vizier staff
70 - Ranslor's Folly bracer

All other Wiz goodies, like the Deathwish sword, are level 70 items.
@Venaliter
I I finally got the lowbie version of the Blood bracers. I then learned the hard way that reforging a lowbie legendary gives you another lowbie legendary. You do not end up with a level 70 item upon reforge of a lowbie legendary. .

Oh, wow. That's totally not the way you'd expect it to work. I confess I've never reforged a level one before. I usually do weapons and jewelry. I just expected it to work that way.

Thanks for the heads up!
My personal strategy is to spread challenge rift shards between belt, bracer, pants, and 1h weapon. With a little luck one could end up with 1 to 2 legendary items early on. IMO, on the first char at season start, Pox Fauld's + Weapon would be strong; especially Unstable Scepter.