Diablo IV - Camera Designer - Job Posting

General Discussion
There is a job vacancy for camera designer - isometric -, which can be seen here:

https://careers.blizzard.com/pt-br/openings/oRs89fwk

I believe this confirms the speculation that there is a Diablo IV is coming, but he's on an early stage of development, as there are still several open positions.

In the job description, the following is required:

Requirements

- 2-5 years’ experience designing and implementing in-game cameras
- Knowledge of Blizzard worlds and gameplay—specifically, the gothic fantasy of Diablo
- Support player navigation, traversal and combat with well-executed camera work
- Able to prototype and finalize fun and interesting camera moves while keeping gameplay in mind
- Knowledge and experience working with text-based scripting languages
- Able to maintain a positive attitude in a driven, highly collaborative, and iterative team environment.

Pluses

- Knowledge of successful intellectual properties in dark fantasy and gothic horror genres, and the ability to speak to what made them successful
- Online play experience with various Blizzard Entertainment games (Diablo III, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, etc.)
- Experience working in television, movies, and other media that involves camera work
- Experience as a content or systems designer
- Experience with isometric cameras.

See also that a kind of distancing of Diablo 3 is created in the topic "-- Online play experience with various Blizzard Entertainment games (Diablo III, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, etc.)"

Let's see what happens.

Edit: Why would you need a camera designer for a new expansion if the Diablo 3 base camera is already isometric? That is why the job seems to indicate the existence of a new game.
Support player navigation, traversal and combat with well-executed camera work

So camera will be more dynamic than a dull fixated angle and we'd be able to go vertically as much as horizontal? Will the camera angle peak at crowded combat scenes in story to get a better view? I think all those other modern ARPGs did something good afterall.

the gothic fantasy of Diablo

D3 is a badly written anime fan fiction, not a gothic fantasy. Even I recognize it as most successful of 3 to spread among many different platforms, I still can not give credit to the developers on this bit.
Disney tier villains, arch-enemies explaining themselves, a cheap death scene for a key character, readable traitors, we control a gullible idiot used like a tool; yet still game lacked a real plot twist of all and fails to answer a question. It's as simple as "why all this nonsense happened?". It's even unable to give refers to the past or at the times of D:I for us to keep the lore whole.
How the heck they still call it "gothic fantasy"? Why would you need to buzzword it like that when it's obviously not?

I ain't even wanna get to the "bringing hell to its knees yet lost to slot machines" thing. There should be a trope about this.
Before a camera-man I'd appreciate if they hire a better writer for the lore of whatever the next installment is. So we don't have to ask for another separated mode to avoid cringy dialogues.
Non-mobile please, you'd even surprise me if that unannounced project is D:I's expansion pack.
05/23/2019 07:09 AMPosted by Thörior
I believe this confirms the speculation that there is a Diablo IV is coming,

Oh, really?

Don't hold your breath.
Makes me wonder why they are just starting to look for one right now.

Seems that if D4 is in development, they still haven't left the concept stage (or my idea about how video game development works is just wrong).

Or the old camera designer left and now they are just looking for a new one...
Huh? All this does is ADD to the speculation. This is not confirmation of anything other than they're looking for a camera designer for an unannounced Diablo project. There is no proof at all that the unannounced project referenced in the job posting is Diablo 4.

I mean, by all means, be excited that they're hiring for an "unannounced project," but if we are to believe their "multiple projects" line, this posting could just as likely be for any number of things OTHER than Diablo 4.

Don't hype yourselves, folks...we all know what happened last time. Or do. Whatever makes you happy.
05/23/2019 08:13 AMPosted by clueso
Seems that if D4 is in development, they still haven't left the concept stage

I think the same. They scrapped 3 arpg prototypes and an mmo-lite prototype in 3 years according to that one Kotaku article, yet people still awaiting D4 release to be '20 doesn't make sense to me.

D3 team had like 200+ people (watch credits) and roughly estimated 70-100 million dollar budget -yet I still think writers are overpaid- and it stood in development hell for a good 7 years. I was expecting an MMO-lite if we expecting a rather hasty release, but if they still newly hire some key staff, I have no idea.

Or the old camera designer left and now they are just looking for a new one...

I hope so. But why would he left other than being split at multiple projects at once. I doubt mobile is too demanding either.

05/23/2019 08:40 AMPosted by Putridian
There is no proof at all that the unannounced project referenced in the job posting is Diablo 4.

At least we know there's an isometric Diablo game, hopefully for PC. No one can say for certain that it's Diablo 4 or their MMO-lite spin-off attempt with isometric view.

Why would you need a camera designer for a new expansion if the Diablo 3 base camera is already isometric?

Job application clearly says "Diablo-Unannounced Project". If they need an expansion content for D3, they already have a camera expert for this kinda thing in team#3 which is directed to the mobile currently with team-incubation and working with NetEase.
Demanding him to do his job is just paperwork among company.
There is a job vacancy for camera designer - isometric -, which can be seen here:

https://careers.blizzard.com/pt-br/openings/oRs89fwk

I believe this confirms the speculation that there is a Diablo IV is coming, but he's on an early stage of development, as there are still several open positions.

In the job description, the following is required:

Requirements

- 2-5 years’ experience designing and implementing in-game cameras
- Knowledge of Blizzard worlds and gameplay—specifically, the gothic fantasy of Diablo
- Support player navigation, traversal and combat with well-executed camera work
- Able to prototype and finalize fun and interesting camera moves while keeping gameplay in mind
- Knowledge and experience working with text-based scripting languages
- Able to maintain a positive attitude in a driven, highly collaborative, and iterative team environment.

Pluses

- Knowledge of successful intellectual properties in dark fantasy and gothic horror genres, and the ability to speak to what made them successful
- Online play experience with various Blizzard Entertainment games (Diablo III, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, etc.)
- Experience working in television, movies, and other media that involves camera work
- Experience as a content or systems designer
- Experience with isometric cameras.

See also that a kind of distancing of Diablo 3 is created in the topic "-- Online play experience with various Blizzard Entertainment games (Diablo III, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, etc.)"

Let's see what happens.

Edit: Why would you need a camera designer for a new expansion if the Diablo 3 base camera is already isometric? That is why the job seems to indicate the existence of a new game.

lol

A job posting confirms jack squat - there have been job postings for years.

Stop fueling the rumor fires and wait. IF D4 is being developed, we’ll know about it well in advance of the release date. There’s no need for wild mass guessing every flippin’ time some small thing changes.
Seems that if D4 is in development, they still haven't left the concept stage

I think the same. They scrapped 3 arpg prototypes and an mmo-lite prototype in 3 years according to that one Kotaku article,

Really? Was it 4 different Diablo prototypes? I thought there were only 2: one with an over the shoulder camera (Project Hades) which they scrapped and then Project Fenris, the one that Lois Barriga is directing (embrace the darkness).

I maybe have to read the article again...
05/23/2019 09:00 AMPosted by clueso
which they scrapped and then Project Fenris

Fenris had 3 prototype attempts which all made up in the fashion of isometric ARPG as I remember and there was Hades, their MMO-lite attempt. Read again and tell me if I recall wrong.
I donno if they mean they scrapped 3 attempts and going with the 4th or running with the 3rd attempt currently. Still, discarding a prototype means serious time loss that may signal weeks, sometimes months of work.
05/23/2019 09:01 AMPosted by naksiloth
05/23/2019 09:00 AMPosted by clueso
which they scrapped and then Project Fenris

Fenris had 3 prototype attempts which all made up in the fashion of isometric ARPG as I remember and there was Hades, their MMO-lite attempt. Read again and tell me if I recall wrong.

oof, yeah, I probably read that thing again...
05/23/2019 09:01 AMPosted by naksiloth
I donno if they mean they scrapped 3 attempts and going with the 4th or running with the 3rd attempt currently. Still, discarding a prototype means serious time loss that may signal weeks, sometimes months of work.

I read that whole article again and they don't mention anything about Project Fenris having prototypes before it. They only mention Hades (the souls-like with the over the shoulder camera) and Fenris, but nothing about previous versions of it.

But I found one interesting quote in the article that might be relevant for this thread:

"One ongoing conversation, for example, has been whether to keep the isometric camera angle or use the over-the-shoulder third-person view that was prototyped for Hades. Recent builds of the game [Project Fenris] have been isometric, like previous Diablo games, according to three people familiar with Fenris, but questions remain over whether that should change."

Source: https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

If they are looking for a new camera designer at this point in time, it might mean that they still have not completely made up their mind if the Diablo project they are currently working on is going to have an isometric or third person camera.

The first attempt for Fenris might have been isometric, but then in the second they changed it back to an over the shoulder camera, so the guy who worked on the isometric camera left and now in their latest third attempt they are going back to isometric and need someone new who can work on an isometric camera again... but that is all speculation on my part...
05/23/2019 07:30 AMPosted by naksiloth
How the heck they still call it "gothic fantasy"?

They say this to specifically distinguish the IP from the heroic fantasy genre. D3 devs did not know the difference at that time and assumed the IP was simply into the fantasy genre which is vast.

It is explained in this tread which is very interesting:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769540085#post-1
D3 may be in the isometric genre. d3's camera is not exactly isometric, d3's camera is like warcraft3's camera.
Isometry is an infinite zoomed view like d2, starcraft, age of empires or more recently Pillars of eternity (that is quite beautiful is my opinion). Real isometric in CAD programs means no perspective.

A wider camera angle takes more resources and encourage to play toward north... I personally prefer the classic and distant camera, I think it would fit a more RPG diablo game.
Cameras close to the character are good for more action and this may be the reason why d3 has a wider one.
05/23/2019 09:37 AMPosted by clueso
I read that whole article again and they don't mention anything about Project Fenris having prototypes before it.

I generally sneer and roll eyes at statements when reading that article. To the point of not paying enough attention. My bad.

I fail to believe a bunch of "mobile gamers" which stated by company heads, would make a dark-gothic Diablo while playing Candy Crush and look at sales figures on previous games in the franchise. I fear that they copy Diablo 3 despite saying it'll be a dark-gothic fantasy because they wanna play it safe and go for the most sold model, which is D3, as seen on Diablo Immortal.

they still have not completely made up their mind if the Diablo project they are currently working on is going to have an isometric or third person camera.

Article says it's "shelved" somewhat, I at least brought myself to read it properly.

In the middle of 2016, Mosqueira left Blizzard. It’s not clear whether Mosqueira left because of Hades’ cancellation or if Hades was canceled because he left, but what’s certain is that at that point, the project was shelved.

05/23/2019 09:41 AMPosted by Olbat
It is explained in this tread which is very interesting:

Interesting read, but you see, a good writer would write a proper plot twist in. Even after this point, no problem. Really. They just don't have any and I don't believe they have enough imagination to do so.
d2 was ahead of its time with outside dungeons and landscape. made it feel like it is a big adventure game with many lands to explore. thats the concept i loved about d2. It is an isometric MMORPG before there was even an MMORPG.

The fixed camera is what i love about the game and leaves more controls open for keybinds.

If there was a way to combine ALL the diablo games into one new game. With ALL the characters/skills/rune trees/items. And have all the acts come together with 5 acts assigned to new lore, new places, new bosses.
Likely for DI 2.

:P
@naksiloth
I read that whole article again and they don't mention anything about Project Fenris having prototypes before it.

I generally sneer and roll eyes at statements when reading that article. To the point of not paying enough attention. My bad.

No problem.

they still have not completely made up their mind if the Diablo project they are currently working on is going to have an isometric or third person camera.

Article says it's "shelved" somewhat, I at least brought myself to read it properly.

Project Hades (the one which was designed as a Souls-like with an over the shoulder camera from the beginning) was scrapped because it didn't took off for whatever reasons, but the idea for an over the shoulder camera for Project Fenris (which was more intended to be more D2 and to have an isometric camera) was just 'shelved' as you say, but not completely out of the question as the article stated and also according to the article they are still going back and forth on whether Fenris shall have an isometric or over the shoulder camera (or at least they are having conversations about it).

See the quote I posted earlier.
I stayed a while and listened.
I'll be in my 40's by the time Diablo IV comes out. Not sure how much into gaming I'll be by then. It will be important for me to find some younger friends that can carry me on D4. That's the only way I'll be any good at that game. It will seem daunting to me trying to learn a new Diablo game at an older age.

I do a lot of soloing in Diablo 3 but it's an easier, arcade-like action game to me. Or even Diablo 2 that I already mastered for most of my life. I can go back and play D2 and play it well (finish every quest - level 1 to 90 just soloing and doing every quest - with one-hand tied behind my back. I know every inch of every area in the game.

When I play a game these days I enjoy the challenge but I also want to become very good at it. If I know I'll never be any good at a game, like Path of Exile for example (that game gave me some hard times) it's hard to keep my passion going. I haven't played POE in nearly year. I may play it off and on once or twice a year. If I had played Path of Exile in my teenage years or even 20's, I'd probably have liked it. Just don't have the energy to play a deep game like that as I age.

I'll give Diablo IV a great chance just because I loved Diablo 1, II and III. If Diablo IV has some type of in-game Diablo shop full of goodies, which I wish Diablo 3 had like they do in China, I'll also spend a good amount of money on DIablo IV. Just like I do on Heroes of the Storm. I've been playing HoTS since November, for 6 months, and I've easily spent $400 total on it.

At this point in my life I just want to play and have fun.
At least we know there's an isometric Diablo game, hopefully for PC

I Don't think Blizzard will ever launch a PC game since this market is colapsing