How does Challenge Rift work, and when to go for it?

New Player Help
I took a long break from Diablo 3, and so I see there is a Challenge Rift button for us to use. I watched some videos on YouTube and none are answering the questions I got:

1) Can you do a Challenge Rift from level 1, and if so is it optimal to do it soon for leveling?
2) The items you have on you are "given" for the time you do that Challenge Rift? Is that it?
3) What is the main reason to do a Challenge Rift in the first place?
4) It's a ONE time only thing, right? Once you run a successful run, it disapear for the period of the season, right?

Pretty easy questions for you to answer I suppose, but I trully don't know the answers. Thanks for your help.
1. The challenge rift has nothing at all to do with your own characters. It is basically someone else's recent GR run. The challenge is for you to beat the original player's time, with all other variables remaining constant. If you are able to earn the cache, it contains crafting materials, blood shards, and gold, which can help you level up your own character.

2. You use the same items and skills as the original player. The only thing you can customize is the arrangement of the individual skills.

3. It is another game mode. Same reason you play any other game mode: for fun. And also for the challenge rift cache.

4. A new one appears every Monday. You can replay the same rift for the week, trying to beat your personal best time. However, you only get one cache per rift, so if you get the cache, replaying the rift won't get you another.
Okay! But about question #1, usually people do it the second the season starts? Its the first or second thing you do, after creating you new seasonal character?
05/17/2019 03:01 PMPosted by DiGG
Okay! But about question #1, usually people do it the second the season starts? Its the first or second thing you do, after creating you new seasonal character?

Yes. Create new seasonal character (you must do this first). Run Challenge rift until you get the cache. Switch to your seasonal character and claim the cache.
What do you mean switch to your seasonal character? You end the Challenge Rift, a cache drop, you DON'T loot it with the Challenge character, switch to my season character and... enter the Challenge Rift and loot? No.... I'm just not sure.
The challenge Rift isn't with your character. It's easier to do than to say.

As Timberwolf said Create your seasonal character first. Complete the challenge Rift. Open the Cache with your seasonal characters.
05/17/2019 04:01 PMPosted by DiGG
What do you mean switch to your seasonal character? You end the Challenge Rift, a cache drop, you DON'T loot it with the Challenge character, switch to my season character and... enter the Challenge Rift and loot? No.... I'm just not sure.
  • You create your Seasonal Character or Rebirth a main Character. (If you are going to Rebirth, remove all your and the Followers' gear and Stash it first. Then, you won't have to check your non-Season mail for items returned -- They'll already be in your non-Season Stash).
  • With your Level 1 Seasonal Character, click "Game Settings" and select "Challenge Rift". (The Character you had selected should be the one that will collect your CRift Cache if you successfully complete it).
  • Start the Challenge Rift and enter the Rift (from the Hub).
  • When you complete the CRift you will return to the Hub through the Portal that appears where you killed the Guardian.
  • Leave the game, click "Game Settings", select "Adventure Mode" (or Campaign if you wish). Your previously selected Level 1 Seasonal Character will reappear automatically. Start your Seasonal game.
  • Check your Seasonal mail and "Claim to Inventory".
  • Open your Inventory (with your Stash closed) and right-click on the CRift Cache.
  • Pick your loot up from the ground.

Congratulations, you win!

And you will have enough Gold and Mats to Train all 3 Artisans plus buy all your Stash Tabs for a nice Seasonal start. (We used to get 10 Death's Breaths and a little over 4 mil Gold. Now we get 5.1 mil Gold and 35 DBs plus the other Mats).

Good hunting!
05/18/2019 04:17 AMPosted by Perusoe
05/17/2019 04:01 PMPosted by DiGG
  • You create your Seasonal Character or Rebirth a main Character. (If you are going to Rebirth, remove all your and the Followers' gear and Stash it first. Then, you won't have to check your non-Season mail for items returned -- They'll already be in your non-Season Stash).
  • With your Level 1 Seasonal Character, click "Game Settings" and select "Challenge Rift". (The Character you had selected should be the one that will collect your CRift Cache if you successfully complete it).
  • Start the Challenge Rift and enter the Rift (from the Hub).
  • When you complete the CRift you will return to the Hub through the Portal that appears where you killed the Guardian.
  • Leave the game, click "Game Settings", select "Adventure Mode" (or Campaign if you wish). Your previously selected Level 1 Seasonal Character will reappear automatically. Start your Seasonal game.
  • Check your Seasonal mail and "Claim to Inventory".
  • Open your Inventory (with your Stash closed) and right-click on the CRift Cache.
  • Pick your loot up from the ground.

Congratulations, you win!

And you will have enough Gold and Mats to Train all 3 Artisans plus buy all your Stash Tabs for a nice Seasonal start. (We used to get 10 Death's Breaths and a little over 4 mil Gold. Now we get 5.1 mil Gold and 35 DBs plus the other Mats).

Good hunting!

Well said.