The 3 most important things to make D4 a success

General Discussion
The Social Aspect
The game dont need to be an MMO. But one of the strongest aspects, that brings fun to a game is to play with friends and other people.

Random Multiplayer Events where players can join could fresh the game up.

Dark Atmosphere
Diablo 4 should go back to his roots and be Dark again.

A Bigger world to explore.
Again, it dont need to be big like an MMO but it should also not feel like the ground Hog day. A little bit bigger wolrd / maps would help for the longterm survive.
Diablo series has been mostly single player experience.
D3 has a limit of only 4, and has issues with performance.
If you want a bigger experience, Diablo series isn't for you.
05/21/2019 12:36 PMPosted by LocknLoad

I would disagree. There are plenty of community focused players that prefer playing in groups whether it's for leveling, pushing greater rifts or just to get the bonus xp etc. and some people, *gasp*, just enjoy playing with others.

You can have both. The performance issue with inventory is due to a bad programming decision due to lack of forethought way back when that's not cost effective to fix in a product that's towards the end of it's life now. I'm sure when it was decided they didn't realize long term support implications. With less items it's probably more performant and more secure but now they have spent years modifying the game around this strategy and players have clamored for more and more storage every year so it increasingly becomes a problem.

“640K ought to be enough for anyone” — Bill Gates

I know, right? lol.
People keep talking about this "d4".

It's not coming.

Diablo was mostly a single player experience but, in my opinion, Diablo 2 was not. During my time playing Diablo 2 / LoD and getting involved in community's like Chx I've made a few good friends online in addition to just connecting to the people around me playing at the time through work/school/etc.

Diablo2 also had some challenges, namely elemental immune affixes in Hell difficulty, which made it inaccessible for solo gameplay for a good chunk of builds.

In Diablo 3's life span the trend has continued where we've seen platforms rise like Discord and Reddit which connect players in a way that didn't exist before.

The multiplayer in Diablo is one of the things that keeps bringing me back to the series. More places to explore and more things to do with friends is not going to detract from that.
05/21/2019 01:48 PMPosted by Talby
The multiplayer in Diablo is one of the things that keeps bringing me back to the series. More places to explore and more things to do with friends is not going to detract from that.

As long as you can choose to explore those places with friends or solo, I'm fine with it. However, if the franchise starts gating content behind multiplayer, I won't be playing it.
05/21/2019 01:53 PMPosted by Oblivion
As long as you can choose to explore those places with friends or solo

I can second that. I was talking more about the ability to bring people into your game experience was not a bad thing like connecting with other players to do events like Rifts, Infernal Machines, Cow levels, Puzzle rings, etc is something I'd like to see more of.
More then 4 person parties
05/21/2019 12:33 PMPosted by Dowsha
The Social Aspect

You're looking at trading and PvP then. They're bringing trading back in D:I, so I hope they do the same thing in D4 or next Diablo title. However I know without PvP, trading would be dead in a few mere months after launch, so they better be prepared.

Dark Atmosphere

They have the metrics for what is selling and what doesn't. I'd be into a darker tone Diablo, but as I know Acti-Blizz will just act on the data they have at the moment and we'll have a badly made anime fan fiction; both at story telling and gameplay.

A Bigger world to explore.

Random Multiplayer Events

An isometric ARPG can not be your MMO-lite unless it's designed that way. A better engine must be made for such thing and perhaps a twist on the genre.
05/21/2019 01:53 PMPosted by Oblivion

As long as you can choose to explore those places with friends or solo, I'm fine with it. However, if the franchise starts gating content behind multiplayer, I won't be playing it.

To add onto that, NO Hubworlds. PLEASE.

I hate how ARPG's are doing this trend. It completely kills my immersion. I do not want to be immersed into this dark, gothic fantasy and then have SirP00nSl@y3r69 walk into town with his epic level gear and emote spam. If people are going to be in my game, it needs to be a voluntary interaction, not hubworld nonsense. The best feeling about Diablo, for me, was being alone in this dark world up against untold evils. It was personal and dangerous, and that's what I loved.
What brought me to D2 was all of the stuff they didn't put in the game. PvP was our own invention, as was the economy and duplicated items, something without which the game literally wouldn't have been worth playing.

I honestly think that even at that time, they didn't know how to make games. They just had the structures in place to let the game take on a life of its own.

The parts Blizzard actually put into the game wouldn't have lasted a year by themselves.

Have to disagree with that.

D1, for all the faults of hacks, was still extremely fun to play multiplayer over Battle.net.

Still have memories of running into Duriel’s lair with an 8 player party in D2, and smashing Baal.

And D3 is a very good multiplayer experience.

It’s quite a shame that the other ARPGs, like Grim Dawn and PoE, didn’t put as much emphasis on a good multiplayer experience.

I guarantee you the next ARPG with good multiplayer is where I’ll be.