It's time for a hydra build

Wizard
Dear Blizzard,

It is high time that Hydra got the attention it needs. Here is what I would LOVE to see implemented for a not too distant season:

Serpent sparker: 1) Still casts 2 hydras in one cast.

2) Your Hydras deal 100-200%(would need tuning) increased
damage for every active hydra.

Primordial Soul(boring, never gets used):
1) You may now have every elemental rune variant of hydra
active at any given moment. Each cast of hydra will rotate
through fire, frost, lightning and arcane runes. Fire defaults to
Mammoth hydra.

I really don't know or care if a build like this would be the best, but I know that I would play it till the cows came home. It would have some amazing synergy with Tal Rasha and convention of the elements. In my opinion it does not seem outlandish compared to the builds we have today. PLEASE make this happen. This might be presumptuous but I believe I speak for a lot of wizard players in saying that this would be a universally desired build, or some variant, or just a hydra-centric build in general.

Sincerely,
A long-time Diablo player who remembers spamming LOTS of hydras in diablo 1 and wants something like it in Diablo 3.
06/03/2019 06:38 PMPosted by wowbagger
Serpent sparker: 1) Your Hydras now all have 2 heads.

Hydras, with the exception of the mammoth rune, already have three heads. Why drop down to two?
06/03/2019 07:02 PMPosted by Oblivion
Serpent sparker: 1) Your Hydras now all have 2 heads.

Hydras, with the exception of the mammoth rune, already have three heads. Why drop down to two?

that is a very good point, and something I wasnt thinking about as I cooked this up on my drive home. I guess keep the original ability and add the damage.
You may now have every elemental rune variant of hydra
active at any given moment. Each cast of hydra will rotate
through fire, frost, lightning and arcane runes. Fire defaults to
Mammoth hydra.

I'd love that. Except the mamooth part. I'd rather it used one of the two fire runes at random.

I always thought Tal'Rasha would be the perfect set for elemental hydras, and with that particular legendary you created it would actually trigger all 4 charges of the Tal buff perfectly with only one button. It would be amazing and more comfortable to play that set.

The maximum amount of active hydras would have to be umped to 4-6 for it to work, though. Or just have no cap at all, and then Sperpent sparker just summons two hydras at a time.

But... I doubt we'll get anything more than number tuning from this point forward. The D3 team is very small nowadays.
They could make Serpent Sparker a set wand with an accompanying Orb, the set bonus could be you get each Hydra of every rune when equipped.
06/04/2019 02:56 PMPosted by Khord
They could make Serpent Sparker a set wand with an accompanying Orb, the set bonus could be you get each Hydra of every rune when equipped.
Well, I'd rather they don't add something like that, because it's incompatible with LoN. It might be better to do it like this:

Serpent's Sparker [Legendary Wand]
Hydra deals 100-150% more damage and the number of summons you may have at a time is increased by 2.

Wyvern Hide [Legendary Pants]
Hydra hits restore 1 Arcane Power and 1.0% of your maximum health. While summoned, your Hydra absorbs 20-25% of all incoming damage dealt to you.

The Magistrate [Legendary Wizard Hat]
Hydra deals XXX% more damage and gains an effect based on the rune:
no rune:
summons a four-headed Rainbow Hydra (Arcane, Blazing, Frost, Lightning)
Arcane Hydra:
Hydra projectiles also detonate "Arcane Orb, Obliteration" on impact.
Lightning Hydra:
Hydra attacks 50% faster and has a chance to stun enemies for 3 seconds.
Blazing Hydra:
Hydra projectiles also detonate "Explosive Blast, Short Fuse" on impact
Frost Hydra:
all Hydra heads channel "Ray of Frost, Numb" at nearby enemies
Mammoth Hydra:
Nearby enemies and all targets hit by Hydra are conflagrated. The Conflagration burn effect lasts forever and deals 500% weapon damage as fire every second.

Eye of the Snake King [Legendary Source]
Enemies hit by Hydra take XX% increased damage from your Arcane Power spenders and Signature skills for 5 seconds. This effect can stack up to 10 times and every Hydra hit refreshes all existing stacks.

But I think hoping for new Hydra items is most likely futile.
Hydras ruled for many seasons, I don't think blizzard will bring it back. The game play was deemed boring.
06/04/2019 11:39 PMPosted by Infinity
Hydras ruled for many seasons, I don't think blizzard will bring it back. The game play was deemed boring.

Strongly disagree. Let people use the skill they want too - AND be viable with it. This is what's wrong with d3. Itemization is !@#$ing mess.

Magistrate and Serpent Sparker seem like obvious slam dunks for a LoN hydra build.