Will Bliz admit that D3 is not an RPG like Tales dev?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 19 Next
05/13/2019 06:58 PMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad
05/13/2019 06:29 PMPosted by Orrion
I don’t think they were wrong in wanting weapons to matter to everybody.

Making weapons matter for casters can happen by other means than taking the number that represents the damage done when a particular weapon is used to strike an enemy and using it as a base multiplier for a spell that has nothing to do with the function of that number.

If you want to break it down to base functions - IE An axe has nothing to do with spells - then you’re screwed anyway. In these kinds of games we wear armor that makes us stronger, and it tends to look awesome (your mileage may vary). Do you think real armor functions that way? It doesn’t.

Any argument that starts with “but this is how something works in real life” is going to lose. This is a fantasy world with magic and dragons and angels and demons and whatever. If something works the same way as it does out here it’s only because of convenience or coincidence. It’s not a hard or fast rule, nor should it be.
05/14/2019 06:40 AMPosted by Orrion
If you want to break it down to base functions - IE An axe has nothing to do with spells - then you’re screwed anyway. In these kinds of games we wear armor that makes us stronger, and it tends to look awesome (your mileage may vary). Do you think real armor functions that way? It doesn’t.

Any argument that starts with “but this is how something works in real life” is going to lose. This is a fantasy world with magic and dragons and angels and demons and whatever. If something works the same way as it does out here it’s only because of convenience or coincidence. It’s not a hard or fast rule, nor should it be.

Your point is not without merit however there are characters in this genre which you assume the role of. If there is no concern over a reasonable amount of accuracy and integrity to what we know is real, I believe that negatively affects the game.

When you have skills that benefit from an item yet that item is eliminated from the actual animation of the skill, like are you really ok with that? That is the kind of complete lack of standards and integrity that might lead them to believe they could get away with feeding us a cheap mobile knockoff.

[/quote]

There are people who claim to be magician IRL, if they are saying the truth, being crazy, or liars, is a off topic discussion and honestly doesn't matter, if you use with base things already established, it should have consistencies. An rifle in a medieval game will make no sense for eg. Even if he exists IRL. Same with an game where people frozen to death on plane of fire, doesnt matter if the plane of fire exists or not. Or where vampires heal on sunlight and become stronger with sunlight.

If you wanna an undead creature that is by some reason stronger in sun, create your own creature, instead of picking an already established creature and making then completely different. Magical weapons like wands on D2 fells much more consistent with the "archetype" of this type of weapon.

The best wand for a "poisonmancer" on D2(Death's Web) :
+2 to All Skills
-(40-50)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+7-12 Life After Each Kill
+7-12 Mana after each kill
+1-2 to Poison And Bone Spells (Necromancer Only)

Best wand for a "bonemancer" on d2(Boneshade) :
+2 to Necromancer Skills
25% Faster Cast Rate
+4-5 to Teeth (Necromancer Only)
+4-5 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
+2-3 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+1-2 to Bone Spirit (Necromancer Only)
+2-3 to Bone Wall (Necromancer Only)

Best wand for any build on D3 :
The wand with greater damage number
Personally, I like the idea of wizard/sorceress and necromancer and elemental druids being somewhat competent using weapons. If you look at the D3 concept art book, you can see a female wizard wielding a sword and staff (like Gandalf). Necromancer is master of poison and I tried so hard to make a good poison dagger build but its never worked very good. Druids in Diablo lore are descendants of the Barbarians who secluded themselves in the woods and developed these nature magic and summoning abilities. In D2 with these classes, you rely heavily on regular weapons early on but eventually transition to solely casting. In Diablo 3 you are basically able to go straight to casting spells 24/7. Ideally I'd like to see physical combat combined with spell casting throughout the game unless you gear/develop attributes and skills specifically to facilitate constant spell usage... and for those to be pretty well equally effective.

Some weapons would be purely physical : have x-y which is multiplied by a % skill bonus for attack skills. Other weapons would have magic attunement : they have a physical damage range, potentially an elemental damage range when you hit with them and they will increase spell abilities by z%. A runic dagger for instance would do good physical damage (comparable to swords but with less range) but also have increased spell abilities, a staff more range but less damage and similar spell power. Other more purely magical weapons like wands would do significantly less physical damage - may have decent magical damage default attack but would have more spell ability.
05/14/2019 10:13 AMPosted by UngivenFame
Personally, I like the idea of wizard/sorceress and necromancer and elemental druids being somewhat competent using weapons. If you look at the D3 concept art book, you can see a female wizard wielding a sword and staff (like Gandalf). Necromancer is master of poison and I tried so hard to make a good poison dagger build but its never worked very good.

All of this(.....and the bulk of what I happened not to quote...) is amazing. Neat ways to integrate weapons into characters as notable points of power, is amazing. "Wizard swords" and "necromancer daggers", and witch doctor hatchets, or boots, or anything like that....is .....or very well can be......amazing, and cool, and interesting to the player.

Blizzard and their team of amateurs binding skills's damage output to weapons in the way that they did, has nothing to do with anything cool or interesting at above idea at all.

It's just lazy ignorant ineptitude....amateurs strutting around the office because they happen to be on the payroll.

The fact that they have giant 2 handed Katana's, and no monk skill, or theme centered around them whatsoever, is unforgivable. Hell it took these half-wits, YEARS to even make the dang things visible on your character through transmogrification....before that everyone's character looked like a stupid clown who dressed themselves in the dark....

Does everyone remember that? a black leather S&M costume with baby blue winter boots? I'll find a screen shot if anyone wants me too....

We could have had dual knife based demon hunters and barbarians, witch doctors that actually utilize bows with poison, you could have had Wizards that use a spears to interacting with ice spells......the combinations of cool concepts is, essentially endless....it was up to the Diablo team to harness and project this rampant creativity.....but sadly the creativity does not exist there....the people in charge don't care and the idiot fans of the game defend them eternally....

So sad that D3 got a team of "professionals" who say just slap a damage number on everything and call it a day....
d3 has always been a massive !@#$ up, right from release. It should not have been named nor does it deserve the Diablo name
05/14/2019 10:13 AMPosted by UngivenFame
Personally, I like the idea of wizard/sorceress and necromancer and elemental druids being somewhat competent using weapons. If you look at the D3 concept art book, you can see a female wizard wielding a sword and staff (like Gandalf). Necromancer is master of poison and I tried so hard to make a good poison dagger build but its never worked very good. Druids in Diablo lore are descendants of the Barbarians who secluded themselves in the woods and developed these nature magic and summoning abilities. In D2 with these classes, you rely heavily on regular weapons early on but eventually transition to solely casting. In Diablo 3 you are basically able to go straight to casting spells 24/7. Ideally I'd like to see physical combat combined with spell casting throughout the game unless you gear/develop attributes and skills specifically to facilitate constant spell usage... and for those to be pretty well equally effective.

Some weapons would be purely physical : have x-y which is multiplied by a % skill bonus for attack skills. Other weapons would have magic attunement : they have a physical damage range, potentially an elemental damage range when you hit with them and they will increase spell abilities by z%. A runic dagger for instance would do good physical damage (comparable to swords but with less range) but also have increased spell abilities, a staff more range but less damage and similar spell power. Other more purely magical weapons like wands would do significantly less physical damage - may have decent magical damage default attack but would have more spell ability.

I think that D2/D1 nailed this question. Weapons are used as weapons. Used on strikes and skills that use weapons, like poison dagger. D3 is the unique game on my life where your weapon affects everything. Unarmed strikes? Summoned creatures? Capacity to create deadly toxins? Use the fallen energy against other creatures(corpse explosion? Everything depends on your weapon.

That is my main critique on D3. Your character is nothing. The "dna" of your char is on the eqquipment that he is wearing.
05/14/2019 12:55 PMPosted by Shurgosa

We could have had dual knife based demon hunters and barbarians, witch doctors that actually utilize bows with poison, you could have had Wizards that use a spears to interacting with ice spells......the combinations of cool concepts is, essentially endless....it was up to the Diablo team to harness and project this rampant creativity.....but sadly the creativity does not exist there....the people in charge don't care and the idiot fans of the game defend them eternally....

[/quote]Thats the idea right there. DH doing lightning fast attacks with dual blades, like an insurgent hit n run tactics, utilizing stealth and suprise to strike quickly, with traps to help make a quick escape. Wizard enchanting a javalin with ice the bursts into shards on impact.

I've actually brainstormed an attribute system that is supposed to work in conjunction with a weapon like this. In the thread about merging main stats. Several posts toward the end. I really like Diablo 2 and 3s strong class identity and at the same time I really like the merging or blurring of lines that you get from guild wars or titanquest and grim dawn with a dual class system. I want to see the best aspects of those merged into one. I think that good attributes and weapon design and how they interact with ("dynamic") skills is crucial to that goal.
05/14/2019 07:02 AMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad

Your point is not without merit however there are characters in this genre which you assume the role of. If there is no concern over a reasonable amount of accuracy and integrity to what we know is real, I believe that negatively affects the game.

And your hangup happens to be the ONE THING in the entire weapon/magic damage dealing system that accurately reflects real life? Because nothing else does.

Hell, man, I can't even think of anything else that comes close to "what we know is real."

Are humans the spawn of angels and demons? No.
Can we shoot fireballs? No.
Do we have bows with unlimited ammo? No (and given that your beef is about weapons, this should be kind of important to you).
Can we go forever without eating or drinking? No. Or pissing.

When you have skills that benefit from an item yet that item is eliminated from the actual animation of the skill, like are you really ok with that? That is the kind of complete lack of standards and integrity that might lead them to believe they could get away with feeding us a cheap mobile knockoff.

Spells have their own animations. And under your logic every piece of gear should be part of the animation because the skills are benefitting from ALL of your items.
05/14/2019 06:22 PMPosted by Orrion
And your hangup happens to be the ONE THING in the entire weapon/magic damage dealing system that accurately reflects real life? Because nothing else does.

Correction.

The entire weapon/magic damage dealing system accurately reflects MYTHS and LEGENDS that they are based?

An dragon breathing fire that can't put fire into "firewood" but can ignite water makes no sense. Doesn't represent the myth of dragon. An medieval game where someone puts an anti materiel rifle from nothing makes no sense. Doesn't matter if AMRs exist. An game where vampires are stronger and heal under sunlight makes no sense from the vampire myths perspective.

PS : Again, some people claim that magic, angels, demons, etc exists i an skeptical, but will not detail my opinion cuz this is not an forum to discuss the supernatural.
05/13/2019 06:29 PMPosted by Orrion
It’s a problem because there was no equivalent thing that casters cared about.

Yes, lets make someone with an axe care about ammo? Or someone who not use spells care about mana? Why not? Every class should be the same /sarcasm

Idiocy. Making casters care about weapons didn't make all the classes the same.

And it's funny you should bring up ammo - shouldn't you be frothing at the mouth that anyone wielding a bow doesn't have to worry about that anymore? Different classes should be different, right? Go ahead, I want to hear you explain why it was perfectly okay to make classes that worried about ammo not worry about it anymore.

random and picks people from all walks of life

No is not. if an poll say something is one thing, maybe is wrong, if every poll that i searched say the same thing...

That's funny, I don't remember you searching a bunch of polls. I remember you misinterpreting Metacritic data.

But anyway, no. RPGs have things like gear, character levels, experience, dungeons, etc.. all of which are things action-adventure games may not have. Action adventure games can also be things like platform and puzzle games, which D3 is not.

Not all RPG's have dungeons. mount & blade is an example.

Okay, so you're arguing my side by broadening the definition of an RPG? Works for me, thanks.

RPG's needs to have both, mechanical and narrative character building and an "focus" on role play. At the same way that few racing "parts" on GTA doesn't make GTA an racing game. An focus on racing make gran turismo into an racing game.

I don't think you can make the argument that D3 tried to bring in things from many genres outside the RPG genre, so your mentioning GTA and racing doesn't make much sense.

Levels, character classes, a storyline you play through, gear slots and gear hunting, experience gaining, skill slots, ability levels and/or modifications.

Levels = are worthless - Over 95% of player base is at level cap and the new GoW has leveling too and BF 1

And your point is...? I didn't say leveling was exclusive to RPGs. You just asked what elements of RPGs D3 has. Leveling is an element often present in RPGs.

Classes - Even BF 1 has Char classes

Same point as above.

Story line - Again, god of war? Campaign mode for BF1? And sandbox RPG's? Aren't RPG?

Same point as above.

Gear slots - Exist in many adventure games, i can purchase body armor on cs:go and change my loadout on BF 1

Body armor in CS isn't a gear slot. There's only 1 thing you can buy and it never changes. Slots by definition are interchangeable.

Gear hunting - So VtMB that has zero gear hunting is not an RPG?

Just because some doctors are tall it doesn't follow that all doctors are tall.

Stop arguing with fallacies, please. The rest of your examples follow the same line of reasoning, so I'm not going to bother.

D3 is an gear hunting game with arguably less RPG elements than BF 1. At least on BF 1, is rare to see someone near the level cap. If d3 is a rpg, then bf 1 is too(and no, bf 1 is not) If you can give me one "rpg element" present on d3 and not present on bf 1, i will be forced to admit that you are right and fulfill my promise

I don't know or care WTF BF1 is.

Hell, maybe the question we should be asking you is why you think BF1 isn't an RPG.

05/13/2019 06:45 PMPosted by Orrion
You take the things they write seriously all the time, you filthy hypocrite.

Yes, because i can never change my opinion about anything and game journalists an decade ago and modern game journalists are the same...[/quote]

Oh, really, so you got that top 25 list from a decade ago? Oh, wait, no you didn't - because several games on it were from the past decade.
And your hangup happens to be the ONE THING in the entire weapon/magic damage dealing system that accurately reflects real life?

I clearly have a problem with the D3 weapon damage system because it makes no sense and it destroys the depth that could have been possible.

Hell, man, I can't even think of anything else that comes close to "what we know is real."

Do we have bows with unlimited ammo? No (and given that your beef is about weapons, this should be kind of important to you).

You know what this is? Drawing from extremes to deflect from the original argument. It’s a Strawman.

So in your opinion does it make logical sense, in the Diablo realm that the number that represents the damage a weapon does while striking an enemy (weapon damage) is used as a base multiplier for all skills, including spells?
If you say yes or refuse to answer we may as well quit as continuing this debate will be pointless.

Spells have their own animations. And under your logic every piece of gear should be part of the animation because the skills are benefitting from ALL of your items.

My point is that it’s a pathetic concept to have something that is a base multiplier for the spell you are using, which if unequipped, brings your damage to zero, simply vanish when said spell is animated. This is even more brutally obvious when punching or kicking with monk.
@Gr8Horneytoad
So in your opinion does it make logical sense, in the Diablo realm that the number that represents the damage a weapon does while striking an enemy (weapon damage) is used as a base multiplier for all skills, including spells?

Yes, it does.

I refer back to the example that I used earlier. A Fireball can deal e.g. 4.000 fire damage no matter if a weapon is equipped or not and then deal an additional 200% weapon damage as fire on top of that.

It makes perfect sense that if the weapon the caster is using is a magic weapon / a weapon that is infused with magic or has some innate magic power (especially wands and staves), that his spells get more powerful. Now, he also can use for example a one handed magical axe that is infused with magic energy or whatever which makes his spells more powerful when he draws from the magical energies/powers of the weapon.

Something similar can also be said about summons: a casters summons get empowered when the caster draws from the magical energies of the weapon.

Don't get me wrong, I also do not like that all damage is based 100% on the weapon (*), I am just trying to illustrate that it actually can make sense that at least a portion of the damage of your spells and summons can come from your weapon.

* I personally would prefer something like a 50/50 split where ~50% of a skills total damage would come from the skill itself and ~50% of its total damage would come from the weapon.

https://imgur.com/mfd7fzi
https://imgur.com/6ZTR6Fp
05/14/2019 10:07 PMPosted by clueso
a portion of the damage of your spells and summons can come from your weapon.

This I don’t disagree with. But having affixes & suffixes that buff spells on those weapons is completely different than using the stat that represents the power of a strike as a multiplier. To me, the action of striking an enemy should have nothing to do with materializing something magical into existence. It’s nonsensical and game breaking.
On one side yes, it may break some immersion that weapon damage is the main source of damage, call them lazy for not naming it spell power for casters, it can still be the same stat, in which you channel your power through the weapon to cast spells. But that is just nitpicking, if it completely breaks the game for you then it's not the game for you.

The reason why they use it is obvious, it is to have everyone care about the weapon in the same way, thus not limiting it only to melee. Be that a staff or wand, atleast the gearing is more or less the same. Could it have been done better?, most likely. But I just want to remind you that in every game, devs always cut corners.

Example: in d2 you can equip caster based gear such as armor, gloves etc. This gear is nice but to equip it, you need strength, and a lot of it. To me that seems weird. I mean you didn't see Gandalf doing push-ups to get strong enough to wear plate, now did you? The fact is that they cut corners and didn't create cloth gear for casters, which many others adopted later on, many also removed stat req from gear since it became a dual cost of both having level and stat req.

Does it break the immersion?, a lot. Does it make the game bad?, not really.

The biggest thing that the d3 team cared about was gameplay, making it fluid and accessible. And they succeeded in doing that, did they mess up the leveling experience?, yes. But they were aiming for maxlevel and beyond.
jRPG =/= aRPG, my boi.
And your hangup happens to be the ONE THING in the entire weapon/magic damage dealing system that accurately reflects real life?

I clearly have a problem with the D3 weapon damage system because it makes no sense and it destroys the depth that could have been possible.

Seriously, though - what exactly does make sense?

And how is casters worrying about weapon damage LESS depth than ignoring it completely?

I mean, if I’m going to attack D3 for lack of depth then I’m going after the itemization system, the lack of secondary systems (and how bad the one we have in Paragons is), the incomplete Rune system, the lack of meaningful exploration and events.. Yes, piling literally all the scaling onto weapon damage was a mistake, but it’s kinda far down on the depth chart for me.

You know what this is? Drawing from extremes to deflect from the original argument. It’s a Strawman

You’re the one who said if a game isn’t realistic enough that it’s harmful. So I’m asking you - other than sharper and/or bigger weapons being more dangerous physically, what exactly IS realistic about Diablo?

A strawman requires me making up an argument and then attacking that as if it’s the one you made. But you actually DID make the argument I’m addressing, so it isn’t a strawman for me to present to you various unrealistic things.

If you say yes or refuse to answer we may as well quit as continuing this debate will be pointless.

I’m not sure any of the underlying calculations of “the Diablo realm” make logical sense.

And forget calculations - how much logical sense does it make that our enemies frequently carry equipment they have no use for from ages past that are perfectly suited for slaughtering them wholesale?

My point is that it’s a pathetic concept to have something that is a base multiplier for the spell you are using, which if unequipped, brings your damage to zero, simply vanish when said spell is animated. This is even more brutally obvious when punching or kicking with monk.

So going back to “different classes should be different,” monks should only be allowed to use fist weapons because their animations are punches and kicks?

At some point you have to be willing to to use suspension of disbelief here, or you shouldn’t be playing RPGs at all.
And how is casters worrying about weapon damage LESS depth than ignoring it completely?

Because it condensed all the possible variables that should have existed if the developers knew what the hell they were doing down to one.

Yes, piling literally all the scaling onto weapon damage was a mistake, but it’s kinda far down on the depth chart for me.

The weapon damage system in combination with the multiplicative damage calculation used in this game is extremely high on my depth chart.

what exactly IS realistic about Diablo?

There is obvious similarities between our characters and us, like we aren’t playing aliens or Lizards here. A lot of the gear, minus the magical properties exists in reality, Armor, weapons, and how they are equipped and used etc. There is a lot of this game that came straight out of somebody’s imagination but a significant amount is surely sourced from experience and drawing from the history of human combat.

And forget calculations - how much logical sense does it make that our enemies frequently carry equipment they have no use for from ages past that are perfectly suited for slaughtering them wholesale?

In most respectable RPG’s, the only equipment that can drop is that which the enemy actually has equipped and is attempting to use to defeat you with.

05/15/2019 07:32 AMPosted by Orrion
So going back to “different classes should be different,” monks should only be allowed to use fist weapons because their animations are punches and kicks?

At some point you have to be willing to to use suspension of disbelief here, or you shouldn’t be playing RPGs at all.

Well monks have skills that are not punches or kicks. But yes I think that fooling yourself into believing a monk can attack something in this way while at the same time dual wielding weapons or using a two hand weapon is insane and the design is pathetic.

I knew you wouldn’t actually directly answer it. Want another crack?
Idiocy. Making casters care about weapons didn't make all the classes the same.

No? Making all classes gear in the same way in a game where gear determines everything is what?

Different classes should be different, right? Go ahead, I want to hear you explain why it was perfectly okay to make classes that worried about ammo not worry about it anymore.

Ammo should come back for bows/javazons and "special" arrows too, like explosive arrows from Dragon's Dogma.

You just asked what elements of RPGs D3 has. Leveling is an element often present in RPGs.

There are a lot of systems that doesn't use an overall char level. But they have attributes and skills measuring what your char can and cannot do.

Body armor in CS isn't a gear slot. There's only 1 thing you can buy and it never changes. Slots by definition are interchangeable.

In Warface i can change my body armor and my shoes for ex, some offers different types of protections.

Hell, maybe the question we should be asking you is why you think BF1 isn't an RPG.

No, my point is not that bf1 is a rpg, is that SHOOTERS and survival games has more RPG into then than D3 despite not being close to an RPG.

05/15/2019 05:12 AMPosted by Sirushimo
jRPG =/= aRPG, my boi.

aRPG's are RPG's focused on action like Dark Souls, games where you spend more time investigating, on dialogs, etc than in combat like VtMB are not aRPG's but are cRPG's/RPG's.

jRPG's aren't RPG's and even jRPG devs realizes it. But the reason that they use to say that jRPG's aren't RPG's, applies to D3 as well.

How everyone only worrying about an artificially created "damage number" is having more depth than everyone worrying about tons of different affixes???

And only an "damage number" matters, if is blunt, piercing, slashing, flamming, etc; doesn't matter on D3. You can poison skeleton to death on D3. Hell, damage types always was important on RPG's. If you try use firearms against an rocky gargoyle on VtMB, unless you are using an cartridge very good at piercing armor, you will not gonna deal much damage. Your .44 magnum revolver despite amazing against natural creatures and "lesser supernaturals"(like zombies) is useless against him, bladed weapons too. On IWD/BG/etc if you try to use an fire spell against an fire elemental, it will not deal any damage. And your fire golem on D2 heals from fire. On DArk Souls, if you are a pyromancer, good lucky against fire immune enemies and bosses. And on demon souls, skeletons are so resistant to slashing, that many people switch to blunt weapon against then.

Damage "type" being completely irrelevant and just an number who is artificially inflated without any reason and doesn't represent anything is a thing most common on AAA modern """"rpgs"""" that dumb down and streamline to appeal to console players.

RPG's on the past, diablo 1 and 2 included was immersive consistent worlds , an fictional world should have the minimum of consistence.

05/15/2019 08:19 AMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad
Well monks have skills that are not punches or kicks. But yes I think that fooling yourself into believing a monk can attack something in this way while at the same time dual wielding weapons or using a two hand weapon is insane and the design is pathetic.

IMO to use an bow skill you need a bow, to use poison dagger, you need a dagger(can't use wand), so to use unarmed strikes, you should need unarmed hands.