Power Creep - When will it end?

General Discussion
To be short, I played on PC during the vanilla days. I stopped playing for numerous reasons, but the #1 reason was all the patches that invalidated my gear, AKA power creep. I found it frustrating.

Fast forward 5+ years and I am considering playing again on my Nintendo Switch. However, I see patch 2.6.4 massively buffed sets. Legacy of Nightmares got a game-changing buff too. 2.6.5 introduced yet again more torment levels. I'm really only interested in playing the game when it's stable.

Is Blizzard going to endlessly continue to change things up? Are they trying to balance the game or is this just shaking things up to keep the game interesting? I'm trying to figure out if/when to give this game another shot.
I recommend playing season 17 this weekend (It starts 5 PM PST). You'll get a fresh start any way, and things will stay the same for roughly three months.

Blizzard tends to not do patches / updates to the game until after a season has ended or before the next season begins. Put it this way, if you start the first weekend of a season you'll have plenty of people to play with in match making, and you can be sure they won't invalidate your gear until the season is over.

If you play non season. Yes you will have to farm up new versions of the buffed items. Set items get buffed retroactively, but legendaries need to be dropped / crafted again to get the new buff.
05/15/2019 08:25 AMPosted by Altranova
but the #1 reason was all the patches that invalidated my gear,

Patches don't "invalidate" your gear. This isn't WoW.
05/15/2019 08:32 AMPosted by TrvAix

If you play non season. Yes you will have to farm up new versions of the buffed items. Set items get buffed retroactively, but legendaries need to be dropped / crafted again to get the new buff.

I'm more interested in a long-term type playstyle. I would probably like to have a character I can slowly progress through the years, instead of going all out for three months. I know I'm in the minority on that.

Even set item retroactive buffs still turn me off a bit. Like, if I have a goal of getting through GR100, it's fun to work towards it and take on all the challenges it presents. If a patch is issued that doubles my characters power, then GR100 becomes a joke and ruins the fun of it.
05/15/2019 08:36 AMPosted by DonMartin

Look at the barb I have in my profile. She used to be very strong. Right now she's an absolute joke. Gems are laughably low tier. I mostly have yellows on. Stats are outrageously low for all the hours I put in. It's useless gear today.
05/15/2019 08:45 AMPosted by Altranova
Look at the barb I have in my profile.

No thanks. My statement still stands.
05/15/2019 08:40 AMPosted by Altranova
Even set item retroactive buffs still turn me off a bit. Like, if I have a goal of getting through GR100, it's fun to work towards it and take on all the challenges it presents. If a patch is issued that doubles my characters power, then GR100 becomes a joke and ruins the fun of it.

I hear you.

not sure what else to say, just wanted to let you know I read that haha.
Honestly I don't see why Game designers went for massive powercreep on sets and some legendaries.

It just mutilate build diversity, and we had already solutions to gain power:
- Augments
- Ancients/Primals
- Paragon points

I would at least understand powercreep if it could allow META rotation, but not really, since 4 man push has stayed the same for multiple seasons.

We still have some fun builds, but they are underperforming. And we don't want to play underperforming builds, since it's not satisfying.

They played theirself about this powercreep, and they need to work on each legendaries to maintain a diversity. So, I don't think it will end, since it's a lazy solution for them, due to the game actual state.

Edit: But powercreep from extensions and (some major) patches are needed. Don't astonishing yourself about a powercreep from 7 years old. I agree we can blame powercreep, but this one no.
I stopped playing for numerous reasons, but the #1 reason was all the patches that invalidated my gear, AKA power creep.

All end-point update bring power creep. What do all games do when much power creep accumulate ? They remake all game difficult and so they are free to add more end-game content.

What does diablo do ? Just increase torment and screw the rest.
Power creep is Not really an issue. The issue is how it is being done.

Changing an existing item to bigger number is bad powercreep.

Adding synergy items, gem upgrades, new gems/items types like charms, are good power creep.
05/15/2019 08:36 AMPosted by DonMartin

Any change to a legendary item you’re wearing invalidates that item, and those changes happen during patches.. so yes, they do.

And actually, D3 is worse on the whole. A few patches have invalidated not just gear but basically everything you’d ever done before that point.
The game is a lot different than vanilla. It's worth checking out as it's pretty fun. But after you play a season or two its the same !@#$ and then once a year they buff everything a power creep the %^-* out of the game like you said. I prefered the game back when the numbers weren't so high personally even with a lot of sets being complete !@#$. Now I think seasons are a joke and not sure I can even get myself to touch new season. They added new torment levels but..... with your old full normal build you can farm higher than them making them pretty %^-*ing irrelevant even within a few hours of season. lol. I miss when there was at least some difficulty to the game or you couldn't play on max difficulty from the start.

Is Blizzard going to endlessly continue to change things up? Are they trying to balance the game or is this just shaking things up to keep the game interesting? I'm trying to figure out if/when to give this game another shot.
Honestly if you haven't dropped the cash on the expansion already, then I wouldn't. They will never stop power creeping until they quit updating and it isn't even to shake things up. I think they are probably trying to balance but it comes at such a slow pace that it seems they are just raising the floor everyone once in a while to give the illusion that players have progressed
Maybe I'm wrong in your interpretation, but you're saying that the numbers are crazy and meaningless? If so, I agree.

I remember in Classic D3, critting for 1 million with a meteor! It was insane. Now, crits are in the quadrillions for some. The numbers feel, for a lack of better term, stupid.
The clown wishes he was still using the same gear as vanilla and you recommend seasons, lol, so many idiots.

You can use the same/any gear you want btw idiot.
looking at your toon it's only level 60
It don't look like you got the exp pack so it might not be a problem for you
do you even have seasons?
05/15/2019 06:16 PMPosted by hawkkiwi

Mostly streamers players do not post with their main account. They fear to loose stream viewers sharing opinion some fans players could not agree. When you are public figure you always stay in the middle from the wall.
To be short, I played on PC during the vanilla days. I stopped playing for numerous reasons, but the #1 reason was all the patches that invalidated my gear, AKA power creep. I found it frustrating.

Fast forward 5+ years and I am considering playing again on my Nintendo Switch. However, I see patch 2.6.4 massively buffed sets. Legacy of Nightmares got a game-changing buff too. 2.6.5 introduced yet again more torment levels. I'm really only interested in playing the game when it's stable.

Bro, this game is dead. D-E-A-D. The player base probably numbers in the few thousand range at this point. There are SO many other, better, games out there right now that I don't know why anybody even worries about D3 at this point. I love D3 and put in 5500 hours starting on release day. However, it's 7 years later and given the reality of maintenance mode, continued playing is utterly pointless.
Power creep is unsatisfying because you no longer play to level up. There aren't stages of power regularly and incrementally like what we love in normal RPGs. It was what I loved about D2, getting that new items and feeling the power increase, getting the level up and celebrating. It's lost in D3. Now it's about 2 hours of that to 70. Then MASSIVE jump in power. Way to big. Then 6p set is another HUGE leap in power. Almost every item for the build is seriously OP and jumps the progression way to much. So what should take at least 100+ hours now takes like 8 -16 hours.

The big reason for power creep is Stupidity. Why? Because they believe they can balance a scale with 2 massive weight changes and think that is good enough.

Imagine you are cooking and you need to weigh the butter on scales. They have like 750 grams of weights on one side. The grab 2 slabs of butter, each weighing 500 grams. They chuck both on. WOAH way to heavy. Pull 1 off. Not heavy enough. But hey it's close enough. Then they chuck it in the mixing bowl. And they wonder why the cake doesn't turn out balanced.

The thing is, weight butter like that is hard enough as it is without there being scales upon scales everywhere and needing to balance over 50 different things at once.

Any NORMAL person would incrementally add small amounts over time until the scales balance out. But Blizzard are too lazy to do that manually. So they needed a bot to do it for them. It wouldn't be hard to have a bot buff all the least used items by 10% until they finally start being used in the C or D tiers. But as if they would do that. After all, that's common sense. And why would they listen to me? I don't have 9000 paragon and a perfect set that lets me be seen as a God. Because that's so much more important than common sense.
05/15/2019 06:16 PMPosted by hawkkiwi

I played in the vanilla days. There was, like, almost two years of regular D3 prior to RoS. I stopped playing just prior to the RoS release. All I have been doing since is keeping my eye on patch notes and such.