Diablo 3 freezing when loading into gameplay

Technical Support
Another year, same problem is still here... GG BLiz.

Previously on D3 tech support:
257 posts
Dec 18, 2017
Well this is new.

This evening I found that, after working this morning, diablo III suddenly developed a new habit: the game will start fine, I can select characters, difficulties, game modes etc. Then after making it through the loading screen, the game will play the sound of starting, show me a still image of the loaded in game complete with big "checkpoint" splash and that sound effect. Then freeze. The game completely locks up my screen: I can't Alt+Tab out, or reach the task manager; since when I try, all I get is the same image with nothing to interact with. Bizarrely; the windows UI you get when using ctrl+alt+del still appears, and I can "sign out" of my profile, but otherwise, there is no way to get rid of this.

What, the heck is going on here?

-end rerun-

Exact same problem 2 years later; and it's never stopped the entire intervening time.

Previous version of this topic, locked after Bliz decided arbitrarily what was causing it without actually waiting to find out:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20760626429?page=1
same problem here. some days it loads, & some days are like today (tried at least 5 times this morning & it freezes every time.)
05/30/2019 04:36 AMPosted by orrinb1969
same problem here. some days it loads, & some days are like today (tried at least 5 times this morning & it freezes every time.)

What makes this glitch incredibly frustrating is that considering that it appears to be random; it's utterly un-testable. As in; there's no way of telling if you change a given variable (safe mode, programs open, programs closed etc.), you can't actually tell if the problem has been resolved.
Same thing here. I've had this problem randomly occur over the past n years. I find it goes away eventually, but that usually takes days (I pretty much give up on the game then try again days later and it works).

I did find one work-around - launching D3 without the launcher. I don't remember how or where I found it, but I have a shortcut on my desktop with @\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch (modify to include your drive & directory in place of the @).

That worked last night - I was able to play although I was getting a much lower framerate.

EDIT: Lower fps was because I needed to change the graphics setting. I had the framerate at 23 fps instead of higher. Fixed. Runs fine this way.
I was having this same issue about a year ago. Then it became infrequent. NOW it's back with a vengeance. It has happened at least twice a day during the past week -- since the latest patch.

Today is the worst -- I just had to do 5 restarts with no success so I came here to see if I was the only one -- looks like I am not.

Very frustrating PITA.

One would think that after all of this time the bug, or whatever the heck it is, would have been resolved.
I've had this issue forever. Have to sign out and back in for D3 to close. Re-installed Win 10 and still same issue. Doesn't happen always so hard to diagnose.

No Overlay programs running.
Have this issue as well. Game freeze when I enter the town. I can still hear the music but can't do anything. I made a post on EU forums about this:

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/17626382527
Same issue here. Updated drivers and so on. Crashes excatly as described above.
This just happened to me today!

I am working on the single player game on act 3 entering the crater. I load the game, select "return to game" and the loading screen appears (with the rubies on the bottom) nothing happens beyond this point. I see some HD activity and occasional modem activity but the game will not ever load and I can't get out of the program even with Task Manager' I get a blank, grey screen. I have to actually log off then back on to get my desktop back. This was running beautifully until today. nothing changed on my system since last night.

EDIT: running Windows 7 64 bit
Same issue, it's really annoying, I can't even close the application via Task Manager, I have to restart the computer every time.
Been having this issue for awhile, and now it kicks me randomly (server disconnect). I can play a multitude of other non-bliz games with no issues but I lod D3 and try to play my seasonal Necro and it never fails i'll go to do the missions and I get DC'ed....it gets very frustrating.
Hey there,

Based on the original description, it sounds like an "AppHang" error through Windows. Typically these are addressed by the following:

For users who are getting any sort of Disconnect error, please create a new thread. An AppHang crash and a Disconnect are different problems.
06/06/2019 04:11 PMPosted by Kaldraydis
Hey there,

Based on the original description, it sounds like an "AppHang" error through Windows. Typically these are addressed by the following:

[url="https://support.blizzard.com/article/000031024"]Updating the Drivers and Operating System. [/url]
    [url="https://support.blizzard.com/article/000226603"]Repairing Windows[/url]
    [url="https://support.blizzard.com/article/000023848"]Closing Background Applications[/url]

For users who are getting any sort of Disconnect error, please create a new thread. An AppHang crash and a Disconnect are different problems.

Followed all of those steps, many times; the issue remains. Background processes being present, or lack there-of does not appear to effect whether this hang error appears or not.
This is happening since end of the 2017. Why don't you finally face the problem and take look on it instead giving us advices we did plenty of times. I'm preety sure problem is on your side.
This is too rich
https://i.imgur.com/UzANAxH.png
Yes almost one year still having same issue i try to report no one seems helpful . Till i finally found same topic . Too bad since one patch update not sure which one having this issue forever . if you lucky crash one time only but if u not freeze more than 5 times restarting PC . Please fix this or what should i do next
06/06/2019 02:42 PMPosted by HoarkNo1
Been having this issue for awhile, and now it kicks me randomly (server disconnect). I can play a multitude of other non-bliz games with no issues but I lod D3 and try to play my seasonal Necro and it never fails i'll go to do the missions and I get DC'ed....it gets very frustrating.

Yea happening so often enter to GRs with friend or higher GR crash omg sooo mad what to do ?
06/06/2019 03:23 AMPosted by Redden
Same issue, it's really annoying, I can't even close the application via Task Manager, I have to restart the computer every time.

Exactly what i did soooo many time no joke >_< very sad
Fist and foremost if your are running Razor Chroma, uninstall it can and often does both prevent log in out right or the OPS aforementioned . Just keep Synapse, this will address some peoples' problems. Second, and all too obvious but more critical with some GPUs than others, keep those video drivers up to date, seriously. Sometimes a simple update you weren't aware of from the Blizz updater will render you screen punching pissed with dead heroes strewn about your log in screen.
When you do crash to UI desktop with no way to minimize, force task manager, or do MOST anything, ALT/TAB held will bring tool bar up enough to hit a shut down. It will hang but you can opt to shut down anyway. Barring that just force shut down. On reopen, reset to default game options first. This will only reset Video and sound, NOTHING else. These are the most successful fixes. Out side of this run a file repair then a new install if that doesn't work. Hardware is almost never the issue, it's going to be drivers 98.9% of the time. When that isn't it, corrupt files are next.