NEC is heavily MACRO dependent.

General Discussion
Most of current playable NEC builds need some sort of MACRO to continuously casting skills like Devour, Corpse Lance and Skeletal Mage.

In a sense, NEC is almost not playable without MACRO. Only few weak builds can live without MACRO.

Did Blizzard intentionally design NCE to be this way or not? Because, base on my understanding, morally, we are not supposed to use MACRO at all.
The skills and setups you mention aren't even time/window/frame dependent in order to being able to start justifying a macro, much less requiring one to be executed successfully. You press these skills when you need them, and you can hold the skill button down to continuously Devour or cast Corpse Lance. Skeletal mage you tend to want to be even more selective about as well.

Using a macro for any of these skills, based on my understanding, is not only not required but is a bad idea in the first place.
04/27/2019 12:31 PMPosted by HeleleMama
continuously casting skills like Devour

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/class/necromancer/active/devour
    Devouring Aura
    Becomes an aura that consumes all corpses within 15 yards to restore 11 Essence per corpse.
    The range of this effect is increased by 50% of your gold pickup radius.
It requires a macro for Starpact Wizards to hit the breakpoints efficiently... just saying.
Most of current playable NEC builds need some sort of MACRO to continuously casting skills like Devour, Corpse Lance and Skeletal Mage.

You're also describing Wizards.

Devouring Aura
    Becomes an aura that consumes all corpses within 15 yards to restore 11 Essence per corpse.

That's a specific rune which means you needn't even press it at all.... For satiated, you aren't going to want to waste it with a macro usually. EDIT: Although I have seen some farmer/quicker builds numlock Devour before.
04/27/2019 01:13 PMPosted by eitherxor
That's a specific rune which means you needn't even press it at all

I know. I was demonstrating that not only does Devour not need a macro, it doesn't even necessarily require a keypress.
04/27/2019 01:16 PMPosted by Meteorblade
04/27/2019 01:13 PMPosted by eitherxor
That's a specific rune which means you needn't even press it at all

I know. I was demonstrating that not only does Devour not need a macro, it doesn't even necessarily require a keypress.

Indeed. I'm really not sure where the OP is coming from for any of these skills.
Making skills autocast doesn't require any macro, all one needs to do is the numlock trick.

While opinions do vary regarding whether it's cheating or not, it's hard to punish for using something that is basically a built-in feature on every single computer on the planet.
Macros? ...

... for 6 Skills? I don't know where the problem is.

• Mages:
  • - You have https://eu.diablo3.com/en/item/circle-of-nailujs-evol-P6_Unique_Ring_01 + https://eu.diablo3.com/en/class/necromancer/passive/extended-servitude for ~ 12.5 seconds up time!
    *without ring ~ 7.5 seconds
    *without passive ~ 8 - 10 seconds

• Corpse Lance:
  • - Mostly key bind or mouse button to direct the damage on target

• Devour:
  • - Mostly numlocked or rune if needed/possible

... so where do you need a macro?
    To manage this? For mostly all Necro builds, i know, there is no need of timing/managing it all on point.
    Necro is, IMO, one of the easiest to play classes!
    04/27/2019 12:45 PMPosted by eitherxor
    The skills and setups you mention aren't even time/window/frame dependent in order to being able to start justifying a macro, much less requiring one to be executed successfully. You press these skills when you need them, and you can hold the skill button down to continuously Devour or cast Corpse Lance. Skeletal mage you tend to want to be even more selective about as well.

Using a macro for any of these skills, based on my understanding, is not only not required but is a bad idea in the first place.

I agree. But continuously clicking a skill with relatively high frequency is not fun at all.
    I think the Devour should come as auto for all runes. Maybe like if you hold the key, it will devour continuously. Since Devour doesn't even requires casting animation( means it doesn't interrupt other skills), it makes no sense to force player click on the skill as fast as they can when they want to devour.

In some sense, I would say the numlocked trick is also a sort of MACRO.
    continuously casting skills like Devour

Devouring Aura

So what you are trying to say is, as long as I don't want click rapidly, I should stick with that rune? Then why bother design other runes at all?

A more reasonable way is, make this some kind of like channeling. When you hold the key, it will repeatedly cast. This gives player the control and save the keyboard.
    04/27/2019 02:09 PMPosted by Kirottu
    Making skills autocast doesn't require any macro, all one needs to do is the numlock trick.

While opinions do vary regarding whether it's cheating or not, it's hard to punish for using something that is basically a built-in feature on every single computer on the planet.

I would say this is a bit of abusing the game's mechanism as well. If mechanically repeating is necessary, then just automatize it. Why using a bug(numlocked trick) to work around something unnecessary?
    04/27/2019 12:52 PMPosted by Pariahmonkey
    It requires a macro for Starpact Wizards to hit the breakpoints efficiently... just saying.

That's something I don't like as well. Nowadays, not using MARCO for Wizards is like my fault. Especially when team with others.
    04/27/2019 05:53 PMPosted by HeleleMama

Macro: sequenced input keystroks and/or mouse actions >third-party program > "slightly bots"?

numlocked "spamming skills" : spamming a key or mouse button > no third-party programm / bug

Simply seen it could be the same.

04/27/2019 05:57 PMPosted by HeleleMama
    A more reasonable way is, make this some kind of like channeling. When you hold the key, it will repeatedly cast. This gives player the control and save the keyboard.

Yes you could control some channeling skills better, but you still would press a button or key for some time, what for some pads, mechanical springs, circuit boards etc. might be even worse, than "only" spamming.
    04/27/2019 06:26 PMPosted by HALVAR
    04/27/2019 05:53 PMPosted by HeleleMama

Macro: sequenced input keystroks and/or mouse actions >third-party program > "slightly bots"?

numlocked "spamming skills" : spamming a key or mouse button > no third-party programm / bug

Simply seen it could be the same.

Yes you could control some channeling skills better, but you still would press a button or key for some time, what for some pads, mechanical springs, circuit boards etc. might be even worse, than "only" spamming.

What I really mean is saving your fingers.
    So what you are trying to say is, as long as I don't want click rapidly, I should stick with that rune? Then why bother design other runes at all?

No, what I'm saying is that the OP is positing that macros are required due to all the clicking that manually casting this would need. I'm just showing that there are options that mean no clicking is needed at all and therefore no macro is needed.
    As someone who uses macro's and enjoys messing around with them, first of if you're using it for corpse lance or skeletal mages you're doing it wrong lol.

Necro is actually in a good spot compared to before though, the main meta builds don't use, or at least depend on devour as much, besides of course the skeletal mages with sigularity, and the znec build that is paired with that.

None of the LoN bosskiller builds have devour, and for solo pushing you only have it on the thorns build, which doesn't require you to press it rapidly, just occasionally not really more often than any other skills, I think spamming it furiously would actually be worse since your corpses are pretty limited.

As for using it for devour, the aura is an option though it's significantly worse than using devour with a macro, this is however somewhat mitigated when using requiem cereplate, besides the loss of the actual rune you would use instead of course.

Personally not a fan of devour myself either, but if I were you I wouldn't complain about it, either use a macro or don't, blizzard has not enforced this ToS whatsoever so you don't have to be scared of that.

To each their own but personally I think you should just make your life easier and use one, it takes some getting use to but over time it'll be an improvement and you really won't miss pressing that one button for devour :p.

Also just FYI numlock is bad, only people on this forum will tell you there's a difference between numlock and macros, and in a way they're right
    In terms of performance ingame numlock is really, really bad. To the point where if you're willing to sacrefice your hand spamming it manually would be better.
    04/28/2019 12:08 AMPosted by GR151
    As someone who uses macro's

...you should be banned.