Merging all Mainstats into one

General Discussion
Blizzard's already been really good at deleting every single aspect of an RPG so why not? Not like it'd be unexpected from them at this point
What if I want my zmonk or zbarb to have Intel items for the All Res?
Goes against one of the core tenets of D3. "Different classes are different."

Plus, do we really want the loot system to be any simpler? If anything, I want more complex itemization.
05/09/2019 02:14 PMPosted by clueso
I do not think that the devs are going to make such huge changes to the game

Oh you'll see it will come handy eventually when they water down Diablo more at the next installment. It's not unexpected after this point.
Old idea that makes the rounds every-so-often.

My 'improved' idea was a Mystic ability to freely change main stat on gear. Effectively a second kind of enchantment. Then I wanted the same for elemental damage. Then you'd need the same for augments. You get the picture.

The real solution is more hero slots, not stash tabs.
05/09/2019 01:23 PMPosted by DTMAce
This has been suggested MANY times over the past 6 years. Obviously it isn't being considered, but yes, it would simplify the game. Maybe too much which is why the suggestion has been ignored since Vanilla.

Just saying.

Game on.

It wouldn't simplify the game one bit: it just exposes how simple the game really is.

Stats in it's current inception are entirely meaningless.
05/09/2019 03:48 PMPosted by Fox
This has been suggested MANY times over the past 6 years. Obviously it isn't being considered, but yes, it would simplify the game. Maybe too much which is why the suggestion has been ignored since Vanilla.

Just saying.

Game on.

It wouldn't simplify the game one bit: it just exposes how simple the game really is.

Stats in it's current inception are entirely meaningless.

It doesn't matter anyway.

They aren't going to change it now. This is all just wasted typing to be honest.

I would rather have more meaningful attribute changes that you can tailor to a build that actually makes an impact than mainstat, vit and a little bit of defense which almost no one uses unless you are running zdps builds....
You can literally merge all dmg stats into one single [dmgstat] and all mitigation stats into one [toughnessstat]. You wouldn´t even notice it gameplay wise.
It´s pretty sad, since it shows that D3 is definatly not a hack&slay in any way.
In the end it doesn´t really matter if you pick up an axe or a sword, use lightning or holy, carry a shield or just some other arbitray piece of armor.
Finally i´m kind of ok with that, since I don´t pretend to playing a hack&slay.
But it´s fact that they have achieved the exact opposite of what they have aimed for. Illusionary Choices!
Merging all stats into one: awesomeness.
I, too, have trouble counting to 3. 1 stat would be much easier for me! :P
This would make it easier to swap gear. I approve.

Just saying.

Game on.

Oh it was not ignored so cleanly no.

it had to have been considered ideologically because The devs actually did it to a degree. The wandering dolts made Dex and Strength improve the exact same thing for 2 different classes, so that they differed only by name, when before that the 2 stats actually altered characters in different ways.

They devs do not see, or understand the value of choice or difference, and this also manifests itself embarrassingly in gems, sets, crafting, etc...
05/09/2019 04:23 PMPosted by Shurgosa
it had to have been considered ideologically because The devs actually did it to a degree. The wandering dolts made Dex and Strength improve the exact same thing for 2 different classes, so that they differed only by name, when before that the 2 stats actually altered characters in different ways.

Them making dodge nearly useless was one of the reasons I stopped playing the monk class for a long time.
devs do not see, or understand the value of choice or difference

It's for "clear-experience™" and "wide-accesibility™". So far it worked... fine... -ish? I think? Look at WoW, you'll see the same design patterns... And... Yeah, 8.5% MAU loss overall and they still have the same deal of principles and design.

Some experts still pull strings to make players "engaged" yet it fails. They have to ask where it got wrong somewhere. But fret not, they're already heading to the mobile because there's no way they can dilute the gameplay experience down further on PC. They said it themselves, all of their developers are playing mobile games, possibly on minimalistic iphones and we wonder how bad and watered down their design choices are in WoW and Diablo. You can't minimalize the design on a PC game, it's against its very soul.

made Dex and Strength improve the exact same thing for 2 different classes

Dodge classes was about sleek recovery and test of reflexes. Instead of amping up life recovery and sustain with the damage of monsters evenly, they changed Dexterity to increase armor for straight mitigation. They listened to the fans again; possibly, Reddit or some other echo chamber asked them to do that.

All in all, there'd no way you'd outlive a serious 10-40 million raw damage blows from monsters with that scaling. Especially if you were to lack key defense attributes with lifesteal% is nerfed to hell. Oh and I believe LS% nerf and 4/2 system were calls of reddit as well; however, without LS% nerf game would be too easy with massed mitigation.
05/09/2019 10:13 AMPosted by Shurgosa
You guys just wait and see the silly stat system they dump onto your phones....that will be good for a laugh.

It will surely be designed to avoid triggering anyone who’s head might explode from an excess of choice and/or consequence.
in the beta it was actually like that, but it changed fairly early, I think it was called damage? that part I cant remember
05/10/2019 04:09 PMPosted by rrg311
in the beta it was actually like that, but it changed fairly early, I think it was called damage? that part I cant remember

Right, it was called 'Attack', but it didn't gave increased armor or resistances like mainstat, just increased damage: https://imgur.com/9VbzSLR

There were actually several different attribute systems during the development. There was one with 5 different attributes (one of which reduced resource costs or imporved your resource iirc) and then there was also this one, which probably served as an inspiration for the mainstat system:
https://www.diablowiki.net/images/a/ab/Character_sheet_2010.jpg
ya ! I remember now, I played the beta so much even though it only went to level 13 lol, I tried like crazy to get the most damage possible hours and hours doing SK.

As far as that 2nd screenshot that must have been before I got into beta

Here is screenshot of my damage from beta 604dps with my level 13 :) it is with shrine buff though, 521 without

.....https://www.diabloii.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7749&title=diablo-3-demon-hunter-record-high-604-91-dps-max&cat=500

as far as on topic, I did kind of like it with the merged damage stat, but I can see why they removed it also, its good to have variety and not just hey I'll transfer my exact gear from my barb to my wizard and not need to worry about loot since I have best in slot already
05/09/2019 01:14 PMPosted by Stinkyfinger
05/09/2019 01:10 PMPosted by Iria
Is it just me or does Strextelligence sound weird.
Call it "Determination." That would make more sense anyways.

Call it "Nephalim Juice"
05/11/2019 05:29 PMPosted by rrg311
As far as that 2nd screenshot that must have been before I got into beta

I think it is a picture that was taken during a Blizzcon panel where the devs showed off the attribute system. That was before the beta even started.

05/11/2019 05:29 PMPosted by rrg311
Here is screenshot of my damage from beta 604dps with my level 13 :) it is with shrine buff though, 521 without

.....https://www.diabloii.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7749&title=diablo-3-demon-hunter-record-high-604-91-dps-max&cat=500

oof, its awesome that you still have screenshots from that time.

I think that old attribute system which you show in the screenshot had some issues, primarily that it had two different offensive attributes (damage increase and crit chance) and two different defensive attributes (reduced damage taken and increased life).

If they had merged the two offensive attributes into one and the two defensive ones into a single attribute, they could have had room for one additional affix that does something with the resource like Increased maximum Resource, Reduced Resource Costs and Reduced Cooldowns and another affix that does something with character speed, like Increased Attack Speed, Increased Dodge Chance and Increased Movement Speed.

That could have been interesting.