DImmortal is not the same as developing for a Console

General Discussion
Forbes just released an interview with Blizzard CEO J. Allen Brack, I'll provide the full link here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/05/14/blizzard-entertainment-ceo-interview-on-priorities-wow-classic-and-diablo/#14abd4115bf3

I wanted to touch on something he said, because it demonstrates exactly how out of touch Blizzard management is. I don't know if their developers feel the same (god I hope they don't,) but the fact that it was said shows us just how dismissive is to the outrage over DImmortal, and why we as players need to be even more fierce on this issue, because the message just has not been heard.

Newman: How do you feel about the reaction to Blizzard exploring beyond its core PC-gamer audience? Overwatch on console was reasonably well-accepted. Diablo on mobile, not so much.

Brack: That feels like a people having pride in what their gaming platform is, because they feel like the best games are on that particular platform. I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation, which we've had for 15 years at this point. Which platform is better? Many games are on both platforms. The controls and how they look are often similar, but yet, you see very divisive commentary around, "I'm an Xbox person," or "I'm a PlayStation person."

So, the PC console, mobile seems like just an extension of that, of these are the type of games I like to play, and they're on this particular platform. I don't know that I would want those all on the same platform.

Let me start off by saying: NO. Absolutely NOT. This is in no way similar to the "outrage" over console development. A console is first and foremost a gaming platform, it is designed with the express intent of being used for gaming. A mobile device is not. We may "all have phones" but that's exactly what they are, a phone. They are a device specifically for communication, NOT gaming. Any gaming that takes place on a mobile device is catered towards an understanding that the device may have to interrupt the game at any point in order to use the primary functions it was created to do (like receiving a call.) It is not catered towards a dedicated player base of gamers. The successful games on this platform are specifically designed around quick pick ups and turn offs, NOT extended play time. And even then, I'm being generous with the term "extended" here, even a session of 30 minutes could be considered extended compared to the mobile sessions.

Why is this important? Because Diablo is not a game catered around picking it up for four minutes then turning it off. Diablo, and the action RPG genre, is not built around an environment that mobile development offers. So that leaves you with one of two development choices for DImmortal:
A) The game becomes cheapened from its core designed in order to meet the industry standard for mobile games OR

B) The game does not, but is then put into a platform that does not support such a mentality, making the game experience unpleasant (and since you have no interest in bringing this game to PC, I think we know which option you're going with.)

The entire POINT of the outrage over DImmortal is that you are cheapening an existing franchise with something its fans do not want nor will ever want. You've already sunk D3 into the ground, and now you're further pissing on Diablo's corpse by pretending like this move is not entirely brought about by a desire to bring in the Chinese market. You are offering up Diablo as a sacrifice, because you most likely see it as the smallest of Blizzard's franchises, and thus you're willing to kill it off for this move.

I don't care how many projects you have in development. I really don't. What I care about is how GOOD they are, and recent Blizzard titles have shown that your games AREN'T good anymore. They're quite the opposite. Stop treating this as some sort of childish tantrum that just can't really see how benevolent you really are. Own up to the fact that you miscalculated. You thought that your players were so blindly loyal that they will eat up whatever you give us so long as it has the sticker of a Blizzard franchise on it.

Stop insulting your customers. You're already bleeding enough of them.
I just read some of that interview and came here to see if anyone has posted about it. I completely agree with what you've said. How is this company still so out of touch after all of the backlash that they have received?!
The game that must not be named is, and I give you 100% on that, a development for the Chinese market first. It's designed from the ground up to apeal to these people hence the outsourcing to a chinese dev. Everything they say, do and state about it telling you otherwise is pure PR bull!@#$.

It's not about "exploring" a new platform. It's about producing literal garbage shovelware that the chinese will eat up like a hot dog. (Get it?)
I'm still not going to play diablo on a 5-inch screen. Good luck profitting from that blizzard, your just burning your own money at this point.
Brack: That feels like a people having pride in what their gaming platform is, because they feel like the best games are on that particular platform. I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation, which we've had for 15 years at this point. Which platform is better? Many games are on both platforms. The controls and how they look are often similar, but yet, you see very divisive commentary around, "I'm an Xbox person," or "I'm a PlayStation person."

So, the PC console, mobile seems like just an extension of that...

Imagine we were talking about cars instead:

A Honda is similar to a Toyota (PS4 vs. XB1)
A Ferrari is NOT at all similar to a Pinto (PC vs. mobile)

What the hell is Brack talking about!?
Just maybe he's was right after all ? I've read everything in that interview, and they focus on every type of devices. From PC to 5-inch screen. If they we're right in the end ? No doubt he's putting the name Blizzard on all kind of IP for a long time, but they need money...as we know the game (who's should not be named) like he's saying, was the step two of many phases ? Like many kind of IP from Blizzard eventually will goes on all kind of device, just like spread the ''disease'' and collect more money than ever ? We know a company grow by expand, and this is the way Blizzard (Activision) have found. Maybe am I wrong, but I'am pretty sure they will not bring so many games. Example: EA with Need for Speed, like two years between each one, eventually the quality decrease. Now they don't do that anymore, but the quality of their new NFS are still mitigate..

I know by far many people are upset about how they listen to us, and what they should offer. Know by that they will not bring our dream of each one, and make them a reality, this is not how it's work. I don't even play Diablo the third, because it's not my taste anymore. Instead of playing game I'am reading some books, and some time pay a visit to this page. And how I see everything, and again If they were right after all ?
But I also think highly of World of Warcraft, the MMO experience, we're going to continue to invest in that. I think highly of the Overwatch experience, we're going to continue to invest in that. And then you see us continuing to invest in Diablo on another platform.

WoW and OW have priority over Diablo as expected. But good to know he has a vision on VR and hopefully gonna invest at blockchain or cloud tech alongside of their game development.

05/14/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Brogoth
because the message just has not been heard.

Message has been heard but he don't wanna understand it and will do whatever it takes to get profits. Nothing unclear about that.
I mean come on now, do you think Brack can't tell the difference between a smart phone and a desktop computer? One is a 5 inch screen messenger that overheats or dips battery life; other is a self-sustained multitasking warlord with user interface freedom and it already does whatever a phone can, but faster.

He's taking attention to the fact that mobile market is growing way too fast and cheap to invest in. Wide-accessibility were always their motto, no matter if it's thinking globally or a populist tail flick. They'll soar the entire industries to get profits because they lack a safety net and haven't found their ground yet as an individual AAA development studio between King Digital and Activision.

Also they sorely lack at good game design to keep people engaged. So they may think if they can take the slice of a pie from mobile market they may have a better chance to keep MAU numbers.
I'd be happier if they change their design ideals on current products instead of brandishing every platform with "Blizzard Quality™" thing then dilute it down for "wide-accessibility" and "clear experience" for casual crowd. Their IPs are spreading so thin it hardly has a meaning anymore as it fails to create hype within'.

Before heading to the other platforms, I'd appreciate if they can address the issues on their current properties. If they want e-sports scene for Overwatch then PC audience is their best bet, not mobile.
Perhaps the long S16 was part of the fact that at 2019 Blizzcon there will be a D4 announcement and other PC titles (along with D:I announcement for sale.)

And possibly the fact there is only one more stash tab for D3 added in latest patch, is because D3 is going to loose a tremendous # of users with a D4 launch and perhaps other Diablo type PC games.

In the Forbes piece listed by OP it states from Blizzard CEO that mobile will maybe be a market leader in that platform sometime in the future.

Who knows what is going to happen at Blizzcon this year with new announcements? Only Acti-Blizz knows right now.

I still feel sad for the almost 1000 Blizzard employees worldwide that were let go in last couple of years.
PC vs mobile? Mobile has limited controls (no precise controls), small screen, limited battery life, etc.

I think D3 was just the stepping stone, limited skill buttons and max 4 person per game session all spell out console to me.

Trying to develop the base game so that it can perform on several platforms just does not work, jack of all trades but master on none. If you played D2 LoD and then went and play D3, you can see how the game has become the lite version of D2 in terms of game mechanics depth. The combat is great in D3, but everything else pales in comparison. D3 feels more an Action game than an ARPG. With the onset of DI, it will be moving more into the action category.
In Asia, the mobile gaming community is huge. Blizzard will be dumb not to enter this market and jump to the mobile gaming bandwagon, hence Diablo Immortal came into existence.
I don't have a problem with Diablo: Immortal. I never did. What I have a problem with is that gave hint after hint that directed us fans to believe they were developing Diablo 4. Then they used their big announcement for "Flappy Bird Goes to Sanctuary."
Just no. I've tried ARPGs on mobile and MMOs on mobile, both are a complete joke from an experience and immersion perspective. Controls are barely adequate. It's hard to care about a character you never see after character creation. It's completely meaningless; a time filler.

If PC players thought controls and UI depth were seriously dumbed down to make them compatible with gamepads, mobile games are a further and, one might say, a complete degradation.

TL;DR: Get off my lawn.
Blizzard has turned Diablo into a game you just play for 5 min on the !@#$ter.
And pay to win.
Way to go guys.
05/14/2019 09:43 PMPosted by XxTaiPanxX
Blizzard has turned Diablo into a game you just play for 5 min on the !@#$ter.
And pay to win.
Way to go guys.
Primary Asia consumers sit on the train for 4 hours a day. The mobile market is big in Asia because you can't play a full on PC game on a commuter train. They are will to spend more because it's part of their daily commute.
05/14/2019 10:27 PMPosted by Hamiltonz
Primary Asia consumers sit on the train for 4 hours a day.

Too bad that primary western consumers don't s*it on the toilet for 4 hours a day then.
Hey Brack!

Let's not forget that Mobile Games are a cesspool of P2W Microtransactions, the whole reason you are doing this in the first place.

It is in no way a Diablo "game" for Diablo fans or anyone interested in the series, it is 100% targeted to get that Mobile money from Mobile Gamers.
05/14/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Brogoth
That feels like a people having pride in what their gaming platform is, because they feel like the best games are on that particular platform. I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation, which we've had for 15 years at this point. Which platform is better? Many games are on both platforms

omg did they actually say that?

they compared the PC gamers hating on a mobile game to a real console vs a real console argument?

a phone ISNT a console. Heck most PC's beat ANY console in performance.

Phones are barely a gaming device. its small (not in good way liek 3ds), heats up when stressed (rememebr phones melting or batteries exploding when charging?) your hands will get tired WAY fast, and as its a MOBILE game...microtransaction will plague it (blizzard doesnt do anythign free as they are in it to make $ and i hope DiabloImmortal fails just to prove that you dont shaft a community like they did)
Blizzard is a turd of a company and I'm honestly surprised people still think things are going to change. The current CEO is the guy who knows what you want more than you do, so if you really want to be heard from Blizzard, then withhold the almighty dollar from them.
Thanks for the link, I can only approve your reasoning.

But this one, honestly, make me facepalm my forehead so hard:

"So, if you think about the work we did with Hearthstone to try to bring that to phone, that's sort of step one. This is sort of step two. And frankly, there will be other steps, because we believe in mobile as a platform for gaming in the future. "

Comparing Hearthstone with Diablo on mobile is f****** stupid:

- Like said before, you don't play Diablo for 5/10 minutes. But in Hearthstone, you can do a game for 10/15 minutes. That's why it's very suitable on a mobile device.
Farming 2 hours on your phone? No thanks, I bought a PC for this. And I am sure the phone will run out of battery.

- Playing on phone doesn't alter too much your experience on Hearthstone, on Diablo it does.

Cause in Hearthstone you don't need much controls, and they are even more intuitive on phone. Grab a card, drop it. Fine, simple, effective. The screen is cristal clear, and you don't see a lot off differences.

On Diablo, you need visibility, multiple controls. But with multiple controls on screen, and the (really) precision on the phone, it will feel blurry. (Good luck if there is a SP Wizz on DI)

- The gamefeel:
Why Hearthstone is merely good on mobile? Cause the experience is not altered, and what feels good about the game is nothing visual. You enjou dueling your mind and strategy with someone else, that's what is exciting about the game.

What feels good on Diablo? Bashing and make explode tons of trash, epic fighting with bosses, overwhelming feeling of power. How do you do it? Visuals, tons of mobs, gigantic bosses and epic fights. And, here, phone is pretty garbage at it.

So, it's confirmed (again). Those guys just ran on a china money occasion, and did not reflect anything about it. Congrats Blizz, finest game designing and brainstorming here.
Really love all the points everyone has been bringing up here.

It's absurdly tone deaf that Blizzard is legitimately comparing this issue to the faux outrage over console development. You can either have a quality action-RPG, or you can have a mobile game. Pick one Blizzard. (We already know what they picked.)

The sad thing is they think we're too stupid to see just how much worse the game is by virtue of it being on a mobile device.

What I want to stress that I didn't get to in the OP: nobody would bat an eye if Blizzard wanted to make some mobile games. In fact, nobody cared about hearthstone being on mobile. Want to know why? Because that was a format that actually FIT on a mobile platform. Diablo is not a game that works on a mobile phone. Blizzard can tout about how brilliant this game will be, but the fact of the matter is that it's nothing short of a cheap, bastardized form of what we love. It is not fun, it is not engaging, and it's not what we want.

Unfortunately interviews like this seem to imply they just don't care.