DImmortal is not the same as developing for a Console

General Discussion
05/14/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Brogoth
I really don't. What I care about is how GOOD they are, and recent Blizzard titles have shown that your games AREN'T good anymore. They're quite the opposite

that's why hs, ow and wow have been in the top 15 of twitch for years now?
get out of your cave and ask yourself why the diablo forum is the only blizzard forum which isn't on discourse, they gave up on diablo a long time ago
05/15/2019 09:15 AMPosted by pkmule
The current CEO is the guy who knows what you want more than you do

Previous CEO, Morhaime is the one who came up with the idea of moving to mobile. Brack is only following footsteps but what he doesn't see is, there are also bread crumbs (blockchain, cloud and VR as a personal opinion) all over the place.
However, as expected from Blizzard, they ain't interested in developing and research. They plan on heading to the e-sports for now then take the opportunity after tech is developed by others.

05/15/2019 09:27 AMPosted by Myst
And I am sure the phone will run out of battery.

You can have a charger battery for longer play time, but it doesn't change the fact that device would overheat as you play a high memory demand game and try to charge it at the same time. If anything it would be so hard to find a good campaign play time for D:I as device battery life would be pretty limited. It better has a save game option for emergency outage.

05/14/2019 11:46 PMPosted by Nokkternal
Let's not forget that Mobile Games are a cesspool of P2W Microtransactions,

Generally advertisement money looms over MTX for mobile games. As I get it they're looking for an e-sports sponsor to use D:I as a huge billboard.
05/15/2019 03:40 PMPosted by Shakou

that's why hs, ow and wow have been in the top 15 of twitch for years now?
get out of your cave and ask yourself why the diablo forum is the only blizzard forum which isn't on discourse, they gave up on diablo a long time ago

BfA would like to have a word with you. Funny you also didn't mention SC2 or hots, which are just as dead as D3.

HS is losing a ton of support, its death knells are already in the works.

OW I'll grant is a decent game, however their management of it is making the playerbase incredibly unhappy.

Also going by twitch viewership is a terrible metric, especially when you consider how many people afk OW streams for the free lootboxes.
Mostly agree with OP, however the one thing I got from reading the article was Bracks' calculated answers.
At a number of points during the interview he simply refuses to answer the question and proceeds to share with us his vision for Blizzard... remarkable that he, in his position, thinks so little of the consumers of his company's products to ignore their concerns in favour of his grand design.
*facepalm*
05/15/2019 11:08 AMPosted by Brogoth

What I want to stress that I didn't get to in the OP: nobody would bat an eye if Blizzard wanted to make some mobile games.

Yes, I totally agree. For me, it's even normal, a gaming company as Blizz wants to try to insert the mobile game market. And they are qualified to do so, as you said, Hearthstone is the exemple.

But Diablo is not the right franchise to try this, as we already said. And more, they screwed up communication about it. I am sure the last Blizzcon could have been largely better. They could have say: "We are working on the next diablo", insert some teasing, focus about this, and then, announce: "But we want to try another project, Diablo on mobile". And it would not have been an apocaliptic announcement.

And... No. And it shouldn't astonish us. Why? Blizz completely lost their fanbase about Diablo:
- No communication: Look at other games, like POE. They have feedback, and talk a lot to their community. So they know what they want, and the community feels good about it.
In Diablo, it's catastrophic. A lot of feedback is given, but we're never heard. Look Nev trying to "improve communication", the "We hear you" post... It's nonsense. They gave the illusion to listen, but they are not. We have merely no information at all, see PTR for 2.6.5, or Patch deployment.

You've sumed up with one sentence: They don't care.
And that's what is horrible, Diablo have a lot of potential, a fanbase... And they do nothing with it.
Brack: That feels like a people having pride in what their gaming platform is, because they feel like the best games are on that particular platform. I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation, which we've had for 15 years at this point. Which platform is better? Many games are on both platforms. The controls and how they look are often similar, but yet, you see very divisive commentary around, "I'm an Xbox person," or "I'm a PlayStation person."

So, the PC console, mobile seems like just an extension of that, of these are the type of games I like to play, and they're on this particular platform. I don't know that I would want those all on the same platform.
Brack thinks mobile games are hated on by the PC gamers is the same as the tribalism between Xbox and Playstation?

What is he smoking? This is a false equivalence.

PC and mobile are two very different devices as they are designed for different purposes and have very different form factors. The PC is a workhorse whereas the phone is a communication device used on the go. The gaming experience is fundamentally different between the two, partly due to their hardware (e.g. phones are limited by battery life) thus leading to differing complexities and designs of games on both platforms.

Xbox and Playstation are the same type of products; both are designed to play games primarily and offer similar gaming experiences. It's then just a matter of which console flavor you like.
I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation

Come one now J.... everyone knows PS has games and xbox doesn't :P

But to the story at hand, the mobile market in no way shape or form an extension of the pc market.

I didn't buy a phone to play games on, but text, call and listen to music when I am out and about.

I own a swtich, xbox, ps4 and pc to play games on with friends.

The only similarities between the 2 Brack, is companies who milk micro-transactions out of people...
So I just read the interview myself, NO we are NOT just "upset" about your stupid mobile game. We're UPSET you had a community manager make an announcement that was talking about multiple projects and this was geared towards true Diablo fans. THEN after, people for hyped and had already made plans and purchases for blizzcon you done it down just before, you know when people have already taken off work paid etc. THEN at blizzcon 2018 you had absolutely not one announcement for ANYTHING other than a reproduced six year old game on hand held, and a mobile game. SEE WHAT YOU DID??? you hyped !@#$ up, and then you turned around took out money and talked about a game you should have known we wouldn't have cared about on mobile. You are so out of touch guy with reality and this fambase it's sickening. This is why the father's of Diablo will be at exilecon instead. Keep burying yourselves blizzard. You're doing it to yourself.
Stop insulting your customers. You're already bleeding enough of them.

Agreed 10+

I have reread this interview a third time and it's even worse than the first time.

Looking at Allen Brack's photo in the article I see a man chosen for the job that knows how to talk the B.S. necessary to fulfill the Bobby K. initiative.

Which is to turn Blizzard into a giant bank door that Trillions of dollars someday soon will fly into.
"O Nephalem, we will be filthy rich and our homes of glittering gold will stand on blood soaked soil of the fools that gave it to us gladly!"
Reflecting on this thread has made me less hopeful for diablo 4/
05/14/2019 10:31 PMPosted by naksiloth
05/14/2019 10:27 PMPosted by Hamiltonz
Primary Asia consumers sit on the train for 4 hours a day.

Too bad that primary western consumers don't s*it on the toilet for 4 hours a day then.

I am sure some do.
I like the pick up put down of phone games.

I've been wanting to get into the grim dawn expac since it came out. I bought it. It's on my pc. Know how much I've gotten to play? VIRTUALLY ZERO.

I work 2 jobs and I'm finishing up grad school. I get to play games on the bus, an hour before bed, and maybe a day on the weekend, but I have to expect interruptions.

Guess what games meet that schedule? You got it! I'm Blizzard's target demographic. All I want is more stat depth and more auto friendly than Dragalia Lost. It manages that, I'm over the freaking moon.

PS: BUFF MIRINAE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST
05/16/2019 05:38 PMPosted by Logos

I've been wanting to get into the grim dawn expac since it came out. I bought it. It's on my pc. Know how much I've gotten to play? VIRTUALLY ZERO.

I work 2 jobs and I'm finishing up grad school. I get to play games on the bus, an hour before bed, and maybe a day on the weekend, but I have to expect interruptions.

Guess what games meet that schedule? You got it! I'm Blizzard's target demographic. All I want is more stat depth and more auto friendly than Dragalia Lost. It manages that, I'm over the freaking moon.

And like many others will say, we can appreciate that.

The problem we have with Blizzard as that they thought a PC convention, centered around dozens of predominant PC players, was a good place to announce a mobile title. While on top of that, teasing the PC community that "the forges were burning" and "multiple titles were in the works".

What Blizzard did at Blizzcon 2018 is unforgivable. There is no way around that.
A console is first and foremost a gaming platform, it is designed with the express intent of being used for gaming. A mobile device is not.

When I see this argument, I can't stop thinking like Brack...

People who identify themselves as "i'm a Console player" also say "PC is for work, is not designed to play"... In that sense Brack can not have more reason... it is exactly the same.

(sorry, my english is not good)
05/16/2019 05:49 PMPosted by MFPF
A console is first and foremost a gaming platform, it is designed with the express intent of being used for gaming. A mobile device is not.

When I see this argument, I can't stop thinking like Brack...

People who identify themselves as "are a PS4 or XBOX player" also say "PC is for work, is not designed to play"... In that sense Brack can not have more reason... it is exactly the same.

(sorry, my english is not good)

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Further, there are phones out there now with processing and graphic capabilities that far exceed the typical gaming audience, which is not 95% of us posting on the forums here.
Forbes just released an interview with Blizzard CEO J. Allen Brack, I'll provide the full link here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/05/14/blizzard-entertainment-ceo-interview-on-priorities-wow-classic-and-diablo/#14abd4115bf3

I wanted to touch on something he said, because it demonstrates exactly how out of touch Blizzard management is. I don't know if their developers feel the same (god I hope they don't,) but the fact that it was said shows us just how dismissive is to the outrage over DImmortal, and why we as players need to be even more fierce on this issue, because the message just has not been heard.

Newman: How do you feel about the reaction to Blizzard exploring beyond its core PC-gamer audience? Overwatch on console was reasonably well-accepted. Diablo on mobile, not so much.

Brack: That feels like a people having pride in what their gaming platform is, because they feel like the best games are on that particular platform. I think one of the sillier arguments is Xbox versus PlayStation, which we've had for 15 years at this point. Which platform is better? Many games are on both platforms. The controls and how they look are often similar, but yet, you see very divisive commentary around, "I'm an Xbox person," or "I'm a PlayStation person."

So, the PC console, mobile seems like just an extension of that, of these are the type of games I like to play, and they're on this particular platform. I don't know that I would want those all on the same platform.

Let me start off by saying: NO. Absolutely NOT. This is in no way similar to the "outrage" over console development. A console is first and foremost a gaming platform, it is designed with the express intent of being used for gaming. A mobile device is not. We may "all have phones" but that's exactly what they are, a phone. They are a device specifically for communication, NOT gaming. Any gaming that takes place on a mobile device is catered towards an understanding that the device may have to interrupt the game at any point in order to use the primary functions it was created to do (like receiving a call.) It is not catered towards a dedicated player base of gamers. The successful games on this platform are specifically designed around quick pick ups and turn offs, NOT extended play time. And even then, I'm being generous with the term "extended" here, even a session of 30 minutes could be considered extended compared to the mobile sessions.

Why is this important? Because Diablo is not a game catered around picking it up for four minutes then turning it off. Diablo, and the action RPG genre, is not built around an environment that mobile development offers. So that leaves you with one of two development choices for DImmortal:
A) The game becomes cheapened from its core designed in order to meet the industry standard for mobile games OR

B) The game does not, but is then put into a platform that does not support such a mentality, making the game experience unpleasant (and since you have no interest in bringing this game to PC, I think we know which option you're going with.)

The entire POINT of the outrage over DImmortal is that you are cheapening an existing franchise with something its fans do not want nor will ever want. You've already sunk D3 into the ground, and now you're further pissing on Diablo's corpse by pretending like this move is not entirely brought about by a desire to bring in the Chinese market. You are offering up Diablo as a sacrifice, because you most likely see it as the smallest of Blizzard's franchises, and thus you're willing to kill it off for this move.

I don't care how many projects you have in development. I really don't. What I care about is how GOOD they are, and recent Blizzard titles have shown that your games AREN'T good anymore. They're quite the opposite. Stop treating this as some sort of childish tantrum that just can't really see how benevolent you really are. Own up to the fact that you miscalculated. You thought that your players were so blindly loyal that they will eat up whatever you give us so long as it has the sticker of a Blizzard franchise on it.

Stop insulting your customers. You're already bleeding enough of them.

WHA.... YOU NO SPEAKA CHINESE ON A PHONE?!?!?!
05/16/2019 05:46 PMPosted by Demonmonger
05/16/2019 05:38 PMPosted by Logos

And like many others will say, we can appreciate that.

The problem we have with Blizzard as that they thought a PC convention, centered around dozens of predominant PC players, was a good place to announce a mobile title. While on top of that, teasing the PC community that "the forges were burning" and "multiple titles were in the works".

What Blizzard did at Blizzcon 2018 is unforgivable. There is no way around that.

Agree. I was right there mocking Blizz when it happened. But this interview isn't Blizzcon and people still mad.