Bring back trading, auction house and rare loot in D4.

General Discussion
D2lod is still at its peak as it has these factors except auction house (2019).
D3 was at its peak when these three factors were available.

After RoS and loot 2.0 the game literally went downhill, majority quit the game (2014).

Bring it all back if you want D4 to flourish (2020).

:)
I so liked the AH. I spent more time in it than playing. (a lot of sarcasm there)
AH no , basic trading sure
Idk about the AH but I really hope they do away with BoA items. The 2 hour window to trade it to someone is of no use when your buddy logs off and 10min later you find a duplicate primal you could have given them.

They managed to do away with spammers/botters finally in D2 some time ago and some 3rd party companies made $$$ selling items to those that were willing to buy it.
I've spent a few dollars here and there in the past when I lost my D2 account for not logging in for 3+ months (time it takes for your stuff to be deleted). Now those sites seem to have mysteriously disappeared...

The thing with them was that they did not charge much for most items/runes compared to what we saw with the RMAH when D3 first launched where individuals were charging $100's for one item.

I personally don't care if someone wants to farm non-stop and sell items. The leaderboards were never some massive competitive aspect of the game. Starcraft and WoW PvP are where competition shines and needs to be strict and balanced.

Diablo has also been about the grind and trading, on top of the social aspect you got via trading/bartering with other players.

I suppose Blizzard got upset the someone else other than them were making a profit, which is partly why I believe they originally included the RMAH so they could get their hands in part of the pie as well.
I'm not greedy though; as long as my game sold well (and D2 did and built a massive legacy + name brand for Blizzard) I really wouldn't care if one of my customers sold virtual items to another.

It's not much different than if you booted up D2 now and a friend or rando showered you with excess items to help you level. Even then, the good thing about D2 was a lot of the decent items you needed to be a minimum lvl to equip so it's not like you could make a lvl 1 and someone surpass others on the leaderboard.

Yes to trading/unbound items.
No to RMAH.
Yes to rare loot, whatever one might consider rare. (D2 Tyreal's Might is quite rare...and better than D3's)
The game is dead, they need a loot 3.0 which is to revert back to D3 vanilla.

I guarantee you the population will be back to at least x100 of what it is now.
05/11/2019 09:03 PMPosted by fathom
Bring it all back if you want D4 to flourish (2020).

Trading, yes
Meaningful rare items, yes

Real money Auction House, NO. I could live with a WoW style AH using ingame currency...heck I'd even support a D4 currency token if they could make it work but a real money AH is the WORST idea for D4.
Instant downvote for suggesting AH. The whole concept was one of the worst ideas in Diablo.

I'm not against trading but it must be limited and completely optional. Additionally the mere possibility of real money getting involved must be eliminated.
05/11/2019 09:03 PMPosted by fathom
After RoS and loot 2.0 the game literally went downhill, majority quit the game (2014).

Who is this majority? You?

The current limited trade window and bop loot (while in a group) is actually good for this game.

No non-sense "economy" where everyone is trading duped sojs, runes to make their characters stronger.

05/12/2019 01:09 AMPosted by fathom
The game is dead, they need a loot 3.0 which is to revert back to D3 vanilla.

The game isn't dead, just your brain
OP is right, D3 was more exciting with rareness, inferno mode and free trade until RoS got released and the game got transformed to an arcade racer that has nothing to do with the original diablo concept of finding (or trading) rare loot to get better over time anymore.

The smart loot concept that got introduced with RoS is an epic fail - a player is supposed to hope for an item to drop and not to get it served automatically on a silver platter just in a matter of hours. This concept kills any item rareness and busts the motivation to play at all.

So many mistakes got done in the development, its not funny anymore - good features got removed from the game, stuff to make the game dull got introduced - if i wouldnt know any better i would guess in straight certainity that someone from the higher ups hates the diablo franchise as a whole and makes every decision contrary to the games health. Its so sad. ^^
05/12/2019 02:58 AMPosted by NINEGRAVES
The smart loot concept that got introduced with RoS is an epic fail - a player is supposed to hope for an item to drop and not to get it served automatically on a silver platter just in a matter of hours. This concept kills any item rareness and busts the motivation to play at all.

To me it sounds like you're a typical spoiled gamer who expects the game devs to "give me what I want right now coz I paid for it".

Item rarity is based on Chance to Drop, not Chance that someone has already spent hours upon hours farming for the item you want to pay for without any time investment from you whatsoever.
Free trading always means 3rd party sites selling items for money, and also account hacking to steal your goods. No. Boa and increased drop rates and Kanai/Kadala made the game so much better.
The AH was the ideal solution for trading (if trading is desired), and Boa was the logical consequence of its shutdown.
Oh look, this topic again.

Sad to see OP is looking to make a little extra cash running his bots. Those days are over and never coming back.
The only way it would be okay for the Auction House to return in D4 would be if certain items simply wouldn't be able to be traded on it (as David Brevik suggested in some interviews) and eventually some items also could only be traded two or three times, so they are taken out of the economy.

If that would be done, the problems that arose with D3's implementation of the AH would likely not return, because it still would be more efficient to play the game to get the Best in Slot gear rather than playing the AH.

It would be okay if you could get some medium powerful/useful stuff there, but the best items in the game should not be tradeable on the AH, so the AH would only be useful to a certain degree, but not be the end-all-be-all as D3's AH was.

Items that should not able to be traded include:
  • certain (handpicked) legendaries
  • eventually rare items (if rare items have the potential to be BiS items in some slots) that have more than x different affixes on it (f.e. in D2 rare items could have a maximum of 6 affixes and if that would return in D4, rare items with f.e. more than 4 affixes could not be traded)
  • high runes (if they return)
  • crafted items (if they have the potential to be best in slot items, then the same rules as for rare items should apply)
  • eventually set items or at least certain set items (if they have the potential to be BiS items)
  • etc ...
    Game was garbage when AH existed, since the game was just that, garbage. The best part of it was auctioncraft, where you played the AH until you got the gear you needed to go play the game, but since you had the gear, you didn't bother. Grinding was inefficient and only 2 classes were viable, DH and wiz. You had to farm A4 gear to beat a2.

It was bad, the highly variable rares were awful, and trading wouldn't have made a difference. People complain about trading, but its really just a symptom of other problems, not a problem itself. The itemization was garbage and part of the reason why d3 sucked. ROS was duct tape to stop the game from total failure. It made a 4.5-5.5/10 a 7/10 but can't fix the fact that itemization(including emphasis on weapon damage) and the overall conception of the game, 'kill monsters get loot', an arcade game, is fundamentally going to be shallow and not really resemble d2.

It isn't surprising people left post ROS, because those people were expecting some grand revision of the games core, but that never happened. Instead they got a better version of D3. It made the game tolerable/good for people who(for whatever reason) liked the core of d3's gameplay.Only the self-founders who got their way with respect to AH/Trading and had driven itemization to what it was in the first place were happy but it was obvious from the beginning they were a vocal minority. People bought it, expecting more from it, gave up, and the few people who play are the people who were satisfied with a shallow game, a self-founder paradise, with better combat.

Either way, d3 remains shallow and there isn't much you can do to save it. Stop trying to nostalgia your way back to when the game was actually charsifodder.

Just push for a D4 that resembles d2 with some content elements of d3(treasure goblins, for example) and it will be fine. Make sure you post when D4 forums become available since they got flooded by self-founder noobs who ruined itemization through forming a consensus in a gated forum(you could not post originally without a WoW account when the game had been announced but not released - D2 players couldn't post, and most of those people dropped d3 like hot garbage asap.)

I just tried d3 again yesterday since.... 5+years ago, its better, but its still the same flawed premise and really just a grind/gear treadmill. No intention in buying ROS for similar reasons.

Also add trading it literally has no negative impact on this game at this point.
    OP, if you like D3 Vanilla so much, just join a private community one and enjoy the game you played 7 years ago
    trading yes auction house no that shouldn't have ever come into the game
    I have nothing against an AH system so long as it is used for all in game items such as currency, equipment, etc....

Player trading and a sense of economy is massive for a game, D3 certainly dropped the ball on that one.
    05/16/2019 05:17 PMPosted by Demonmonger
    I have nothing against an AH system so long as it is used for all in game items such as currency, equipment, etc....

D3 classic had exactly what you describe: an AH in which everything could be traded with in-game currency and it totally sucked, because people played the AH more than they played the game, because that was the most efficient way to get the best items.

The only way an AH or a Bazar can work is when certain items would not be tradeable, like some of the more powerful legendaries and rare items that have more than x affixes, high level runes, etc... so that the best way to get the best items still would be to play the game and not the AH or Bazar.

Player trading and a sense of economy is massive for a game, D3 certainly dropped the ball on that one.