Hellfire Amulet:Spirit Vessels Passive

Hardcore
I crafted a Hellfire Amulet and it came with Spirit Vessels (cheat death passive).
Cool, I have a free passive skill slot now for my WD. An Oppressor did a slam and it didn't proc, I was shocked! I stared at my death screen in disbelief.

I'm not upset at all; just wondering if it happen to anyone else.

Cheers
Spirit Vessel is intended to negate fatal damage and make your Witch Doctor immune to further damage for two seconds. Once it is activated, there is a 60-second cooldown timer, indicated by a small icon that appears above your skill bar. It is possible -- and very easy -- to miss this indicator, especially in situations where enemies can one-shot your hero or there happens to be a lot of animated effects on the screen.

In case you do not believe how easy the "cheat death" indicator is to miss, I encourage you to check out this random YouTube video that I found of a Hardcore death. You will notice that, around the 1:12 point, the player's Nerves of Steel ("cheat death") passive is activated, and that, around the 1:18 point, the player's Barbarian is killed. Now, if you carefully observe the death screen, you will notice that the indicator has vanished. That is likely the case because, under normal circumstances (i.e. non-Hardcore mode), a slain hero is able to be revived and the cooldown on their "cheat death" passive is automatically erased. You can check out the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7PMYYwO55o
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, when the passive is active I have 2 second or so in spirit form and 50% health. There was only 1 mob and I was currently at 10% health and not on cool down for the passive. I never died with amulet on before so this was new to me.

I ran back a bit didn't expect him to dash into me and it killed me. I was shocked when the passive skill did not activate.

Lesson learn for me is to get verifiable passive skill (i.e. pierce the veil 30% increase damage) on the amulet and see actual verifiable numbers.

Happy hunting awaiting season 17!
One sad fact of 'cheat death' is that a weak player will die instantly and it seems the 'cheat death' did not work.

In fact it did work but the damage taken by the weak hero was two or three times what their life ball was.

So it appeared to be instant dead.

Once I learned how to build my hero's with good tough and a life ball of 1 million 'cheat death' does work.

The back of an explosion will red screen you or proc your 'cheat death'.

You have time to back off and run to a safe place or hit your potion and continue fighting.
One problem I've had with the Hellfire Amulet bearing a cheat death is this for HC:

In early season start I'll craft a Hellfire Ammy cause I haven't had the endless walk set drop yet or a better ammy.

So once a decent travelers pledge drops I will replace the Hellfire Ammy with it.

One has to remember you don't have a cheat death now, and go into you skills and add it back in or you'll be playing without a 'cheat death' until you do.
05/16/2019 03:48 AMPosted by Chetanji
One sad fact of 'cheat death' is that a weak player will die instantly and it seems the 'cheat death' did not work.

In fact it did work but the damage taken by the weak hero was two or three times what their life ball was.

So it appeared to be instant dead.
I would dispute this based solely on the fact that I have never personally observed this phenomenon. If there is a video that proves otherwise, I would like to see it, because anecdotal evidence like the story above is not reliable enough to draw a conclusion from. As someone who has taken a fresh level 70 "softcore" hero into Torment 13 in order to quickly obtain legendary items from chests and breakable objects, I have died hundreds -- if not thousands -- of times with a "cheat death" passive equipped. But, not once has the "cheat death" passive failed to activate.

It makes no sense for the "cheat death" passives to function as you described, because "fatal damage" ought to mean fatal damage. Anything less than that, and it should be reported as a bug or the passives should be reworded. But, again, I am sceptical that this even occurs.
05/15/2019 09:59 PMPosted by Fitzpatrick
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, when the passive is active I have 2 second or so in spirit form and 50% health. There was only 1 mob and I was currently at 10% health and not on cool down for the passive. I never died with amulet on before so this was new to me.

I ran back a bit didn't expect him to dash into me and it killed me. I was shocked when the passive skill did not activate.

Lesson learn for me is to get verifiable passive skill (i.e. pierce the veil 30% increase damage) on the amulet and see actual verifiable numbers.

Happy hunting awaiting season 17!

Many hardcore players have posted similar things, but have never been able to provide actual evidence of a passive not procing. I have personally done extensive testing in softcore with the cheat death passives, including hellfire amulets for every class. In all my time, I have never had a cheat death not proc unless it was on cooldown.

Yes, I've lost quite a few characters because I didn't notice I had proc'd, but every time I've gone back and reviewed the video, I can clearly find when I proc'd.