Spyware

Games & Technology
1 2 3 5 Next
So who downloaded the new Blizzcon required known spyware app ?
All con apps are like that :( They require a lot of permissions and track you. It sucks, but it is the standard. Most of us already had pointed out the irony of needing a phone and the app to get in.

So much of our modern software is really really invasive. Just look how easily people allow FB, Google, Microsoft, etc to have data.
They're only doing it to make sure everyone attending has phones.
05/04/2019 12:51 PMPosted by NotMyDiablo
They're only doing it to make sure everyone attending has phones.

...and sell your data. I mean, now that it only produces garbage of games, it needs some other way to pay that juicy compensation to Booby Big Bucks Kotick. I feel sorry for the fanbois who still support this company.
They are going to go full Apple and install a demo of Diablo Immortal that cannot be removed when you install the BlizzTracker.
05/04/2019 01:01 PMPosted by Chipoodle
...and sell your data.

Blizzard does not get the data from the app. The app belongs to the ticket selling company AXS and you need it for about 5 minutes so you can get your con badge. It is not required outside of that.

Still, it is scummy that the ticket app has so many invasive links to stuff on the phone. People are right to question what any app accesses. There is a reason I have almost nothing on my phone and don't do purchases or sensitive stuff on it.
05/04/2019 12:50 PMPosted by MissCheetah
All con apps are like that :( They require a lot of permissions and track you. It sucks, but it is the standard. Most of us already had pointed out the irony of needing a phone and the app to get in.

So much of our modern software is really really invasive. Just look how easily people allow FB, Google, Microsoft, etc to have data.

They TAKE YOUR CREDIT INFO ms.MVP -.-
Watch this if you want to hear exactly what data the application scrapes from your phone and shares to who know where...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7YGrenehmQ
05/04/2019 01:13 PMPosted by Apathy
05/04/2019 12:50 PMPosted by MissCheetah

They TAKE YOUR CREDIT INFO ms.MVP -.-

I know - because it is the Ticket Purchase app and it has to synch with your ticket purchase info. Uber does too and so does anything else that use to make purchases.

Why do you think I refuse to put any purchase apps on my phone? Not Uber, not Lyft, not Postmates, not banking apps, NOTHING.

Edit - stop thinking I am defending the app. I am not. I am correcting misinformation about who the app belongs to and also pointing out how common this is. VERY common and you should be questioning every single app on your phone. It is important people know how invasive these are and that many do even track you in real time. What this app does is common for most Con apps. Beware.
05/04/2019 01:13 PMPosted by MissCheetah
05/04/2019 01:01 PMPosted by Chipoodle
...and sell your data.

Blizzard does not get the data from the app. The app belongs to the ticket selling company AXS and you need it for about 5 minutes so you can get your con badge. It is not required outside of that.

Still, it is scummy that the ticket app has so many invasive links to stuff on the phone. People are right to question what any app accesses. There is a reason I have almost nothing on my phone and don't do purchases or sensitive stuff on it.

It is well known in the industry that company that holds a vast number of consumers, thend to sell their data to 3rd parties. Even if it's not directly -as Blizzard does-, they allow 3rd parties to get access to consumer's phones for a fee. The more consumers has the first company, the more fee is payed . So it is a win-win. Blizzard gets money selling its customers and the 3rd party company has access to thousands of phones to mine data, sell it to others, swarm them with spam and get a fee, etc.
I leave the forums and this is what I come back to.............
05/04/2019 01:29 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Even if it's not directly -as Blizzard does-,

Please find me any instance of Blizzard selling our info directly? They would get sued to death if they did that without notifying us. They specifically do not sell our personal data. Not that they don't use some of the data internally, but they are not selling it.

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/a4380ee5-5c8d-4e3b-83b7-ea26d01a9918/blizzard-entertainment-online-privacy-policy

Blizzard will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this Privacy Policy. We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may, however, share non-personally identifiable, aggregated, and/or public information with third parties. Additionally, we may share your game play data, Battletag, Blizzard ID, and/or unique identifiers specific to your device with third parties for the purpose of tailoring content as well as personalizing, adjusting and improving our services. In addition, we may share your personal information with other Activision Blizzard group companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Policy.

Now, I have no idea what the AXS company will do with the data.
05/04/2019 01:13 PMPosted by MissCheetah

I can actually see people either buying "burner" phones just to avoid this particular scummy software (it installs a "Referer API", which is a fancy name for a tracking and redirect service you can't get rid of once you've installed it because it isn't listed in the apps, at least not with an easily identifiable name). Either that or using an old phone they kept around "just in case" and installing the app on that so they could go to the con and ask to use their wi-fi to get data (as the old phone would have no active cell plan but be perfeclty capable of wi-fi usage).

Hell, I'd bust out the dough for a cheap knockoff battery for my old Note 2 for just such a purpose if I were going to the con. No way in hell would I install that POS software on my real phone. Of course I'd look reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally weird dual wielding belt clipped phones. But then I'd be in awesome nerd territory, so who cares...

^_^

05/04/2019 01:40 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Track you and "customize" ads pushed on your phone in any way, including browsers. See: Referer API.

05/04/2019 01:40 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Please find me any instance of Blizzard selling our info directly? They would get sued to death if they did that without notifying us. They specifically do not sell our personal data. Not that they don't use some of the data internally, but they are not selling it.

Blizzard and Apple are probably the only two companies I trust not to sell my PII. Blizzard's always been good about that. Now, Activision-Blizzard is another story, but the only way they'd get that info is if Blizzard shared the internal data with them. Hopefully that never happens, because once discovered, Blizzard can probably kiss its customers goodbye.
05/04/2019 01:29 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Even if it's not directly -as Blizzard does-,

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/a4380ee5-5c8d-4e3b-83b7-ea26d01a9918/blizzard-entertainment-online-privacy-policy

Blizzard will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this Privacy Policy. We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may, however, share non-personally identifiable, aggregated, and/or public information with third parties. Additionally, we may share your game play data, Battletag, Blizzard ID, and/or unique identifiers specific to your device with third parties for the purpose of tailoring content as well as personalizing, adjusting and improving our services. In addition, we may share your personal information with other Activision Blizzard group companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Policy.

Yes i agree with that. Blizzard does not sell directly your data. But as i stated above and you confirmed it, it SELLS the access to your phone to AXS. What it does to data... well:

the app scrapes of ton of data from your phone, including your first and last name, precise location (as determined by GPS, WiFi, and other means), how often the app is used, what content is viewed using the app, which ads are clicked, what purchases are made (and not made), a user’s personal advertising identifier, IP address, operating system, device make and model, billing address, credit card number, security code, mailing address, phone number, and email address. It doesn't say that it also takes your contacts but it would be trivial to do so. AXS's privacy statement says that they share/sell the information with a LOT of other companies (more details in the article I linked).

Sources:
https://theoutline.com/post/5628/how-a-concert-ticket-steals-your-personal-data?zd=2&zi=ul4u5wwm
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/bkioee/you_will_be_required_to_download_a_spyware_app/
05/04/2019 01:49 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Yes i agree with that. Blizzard does not sell directly your data. But as i stated above and you confirmed it, it SELLS the access to your phone to AXS. What it does to data... well:

No, not it does not. Blizzard is not selling access to our phones. The app required is from AXS directly, not Blizzard. Blizz has to actually pay AXS to handle the tickets for them.

Go check what Uber and some of the the other apps gather. There is a reason none are on my phone.

I suppose they are doing this to cut down on fraud, but I still think it is wrong to force a download of a phone app from another company as the means to get your badge.
05/04/2019 01:53 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I suppose they are doing this to cut down on fraud, but I still think it is wrong to force a download of a phone app from another company as the means to get your badge.

I really wish Blizzard could/would set up a system that links the purchase to your B.net account and used the B.net authenticator attached to that account (as a requirement for purchases) for the purposes of logging in and showing the ticket purchases under your name instead of a third party. But sadly that's pie in the sky thinking there given their parent company's current M.O.
05/04/2019 01:53 PMPosted by MissCheetah
05/04/2019 01:49 PMPosted by Chipoodle

No, not it does not. Blizzard is not selling access to our phones. The app required is from AXS directly, not Blizzard. Blizz has to actually pay AXS to handle the tickets for them.

Go check what Uber and some of the the other apps gather. There is a reason none are on my phone.

So... it doesn't sell access to your phone... Tell me then... why does the ticket pricce has risen ? Why hire a 3rd party who install spyware if it's not going to gain anything? Just goodwill? you don't get ir right? Attendees are paying to get their data sold. Just by hiring AXN, Blizzard is gaining.
05/04/2019 02:02 PMPosted by Chipoodle
So... it doesn't sell access to your phone... Tell me then... why does the ticket pricce has risen ?

The ticket price hadn't gone up in years. This is basically just your run of the mill inflation adjustment to offset costs. Though that psychological $200 barrier stings a bit, there isn't any evil intent there. It's literally just keeping up with the times. $229 now is roughly equivalent to the $199 it went to a few years ago when you factor inflation into the equation. They've actually raised the price less often than most other venues have or would have in the same time period.

05/04/2019 02:02 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Why hire a 3rd party who install spyware if it's not going to gain anything? Just goodwill? you don't get ir right? Attendees are paying to get their data sold. Just by hiring AXN, Blizzard is gaining.

Honestly, Blizzard isn't gaining here from that. AXS likely will, yes, but Blizzard gets nothing out of that. Any revenue from data AXS sells from scrumming your phone will go to them, not Blizzard. If anything, Blizzard actually loses goodwill because of this. In the age of data breach after data breach and scandal after scandal, people are less than enthusiastic about putting even more data scraping software on their devices.
Its beyond shady and Blizzard should know better it wont be long until apps like this are complete illegal in the EU and they should be EVERYWHERE. This ticket company is known for being scummy and Blizzard had the nerve to use them. We should not have our privacy rights violated just to attend Blizzcon.
I'm pretty picky about putting software on my phone as it is. Good thing I'm not going to Blizzcon anyway.

But if I were, I would have to take a point from another poster. Setup an old phone that had been wiped of any relevant data and use it ONLY for this one purpose. Then crush it afterwards in front of everyone to make a point.

This whole deal is a BS move by Blizzard, regardless who's doing the data collecting.

Even if Blizzard isn't directly doing it, they are still allowing it to happen, whether they benefit themselves or not. Its the principle of the thing. Its scummy, mean and downright insulting.

I pity those that have to deal with this for this event and possibly subsequent events. I have a suspicion that this is going to affect the public relationship negatively (as if they don't already have enough of this going on).

Game on.