Spyware

Games & Technology
April Fools Mobile phones Spyware App For Blizzcon
Why the !@#$ would you "require" an app to get into a venue on the day?

Just let people print out their tickets and then check it against a database when they arrive.

Why do they put so much effort into making everything difficult.
While it would be more of a hassle you can opt not to use the app and contact blizz support.

it will likely be a PITA, but it will protect ur data.

i'm most certainly against using such an app known to have this invasive data collection. be it 'normal' or not, doesn't matter to me. Just because somthing is 'normal' doesn't make it right, nor does it make it something people should just accept.

Now lets be honest here, the vast majority of people going to this event are either a) going to be ignorant of what the app is doing , or b) be to much of a fan to actually care even if they know.
So its unlikely going to make a dent in the sales and attendance of Blizzcon.

None the less if recent events in regards to the Internets effect on things is anything to go by, making enough noise can bring about an effect.

ActiBliz doesnt give a flying fk about users data when it comes to this app, but if they see some kind of direct correlation to any backlash vs their earnings.. then they will do something.

ActiBliz isnt a games developer, making games by gamers, directed by gamers, for gamers. Its very much a Business now, its goal is to make money and it just so happens to make games to do it.
05/05/2019 05:16 AMPosted by SolarNova
its goal is to make money and it just so happens to make games to do it.
They don't make games. They make services. The only game you can play without an internet connection is starcraft and that takes less than 8 hours to beat the entire campaign and was made nearly a decade ago.
05/04/2019 01:14 PMPosted by Meteorblade
Watch this if you want to hear exactly what data the application scrapes from your phone and shares to who know where...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7YGrenehmQ

Great video. I take privacy seriously and I make strides to avoid the exploitation and monetization of my personal data. I do this through VPNs, encrypted emails, deleting accounts once I hear that a company/account has been hacked, and not signing up for optional services that invade my privacy. I realize that a good amount of my data is already out there and is being exploited, but I do not wish to actively add to that. I did not plan to attend Blizz Con this year because I feel Activision Blizzard will likely not have any releases worth the money. If I was planning to attend and I had to install this app in order to do so, that would keep me from attending.
What I don't get is how badly people are mis-reading Cheetah's posts...

She is NOT in support or shilling of their shenanigans.... Are you all only reading part of them? I have read them and she is only trying to clear up some factual points, not defending them!

Damn.

Stop hating so bad on her, she is on YOUR/OUR side!

Game on.
There's a very easy solution to this folks. Just don't go to Blizzcon. Why anyone would further support these money-grubbing people is completely beyond me.
05/05/2019 08:58 AMPosted by DTMAce

It does not fit their narrative that in order to get green text you have to mindlessly agree with everything Blizz does.

Recap

-I have already commented about the irony of requiring a smart phone for Blizzcon admission. Waiting to see if their Solutions desk actually gives a means to get a badge without a phone of your own.
-I have already commented about the requirements for a third party app. No, I don't like it.
-I have clarified that the App is not made by Blizzard and Blizzard does not get data from it. The ticket company makes the app and uses it for all their functions they sell tickets for.
-I HATE invasive apps and software. I always have and recommend everyone be careful what they put on their computer and phone.

Personally. I have never purchased anything using my phone. I have almost no apps on it. I only use it for phone calls and texts. Rarely email.

I have never used a Con app. I have never used Uber, Lyft, Grubhub, or any other related app.

I do not have a single thing in my house, besides my cable modem, connected to the internet. Not the thermostat, alarm, fridge or one of those spy pod Alexa type things. My dumb house is dumb.

I still own and use checks and don't have a debit card. Credit cards are way way safer and have a lot more consumer protections if it is stolen or compromised. Debit cards take right from your bank account then you get to fight about it while trying to pay the mortgage. Credit cards you just call right away and report it. The bank handles the fraud issues and your actual bank account is not touched so you can still pay bills.

I am pretty paranoid about security, for good reason, and won't ever put any apps like this on my phone. I support everyone learning about every single app they want to use and to make good decisions about it. Almost everything is very invasive these days. FB, Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc. They have been for a very long time.
It's gonna get worse! The user DeathKoil (https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/bkd5ew/you_need_to_have_a_phone_to_attend_blizzcon_this/emg38xv/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x) has taken a closer look at the app and writes that the app spies tons of data from the mobile phone. This includes the first and last name, the exact location, how often the app is used, which content is viewed with the app, which ads are clicked on, which purchases are made (and not made), the personal advertising ID of a user, the IP address, the operating system, the device manufacturer and the mobile phone model, billing address, credit card number, security codes, postal address, telephone number and e-mail address.

So it's quite a long list of information the application gets from the smartphone. In addition, AXS' Privacy Policy states that they may share and sell the information with many other companies. So basically the app is spyware from the worst hole on the Internet. If you don't believe this, you can read the self-experiment of an editor of the blog "The Outline" (https://theoutline.com/post/5628/how-a-concert-ticket-steals-your-personal-data?zd=4&zi=v5b5mro5). He already tested the app in 2018.

So why did Blizzard choose the AXS app for this year's BlizzCon? You can only rumor about that... Maybe they want to use it to avoid ticket forgeries - but unfortunately there is no official statement from the company. What's certain is that Blizzard is destroying itself with such actions, and the price of all the information it needs to access BlizzCon isn't worth it.
We consumers feel so vulnerable. Why must big companies gather and sell our privacy and make money from them.

Can they be honest and just make games?
05/05/2019 08:58 AMPosted by DTMAce

I judge whether I agree with something based on what the text says, not the colour it's written in. In this thread, MissCheetah has made it abundantly clear that she does not like the phone app that Blizzard is requiring you to install if you want to attend Blizzcon. That's a stance I firmly agree with. However...

05/05/2019 09:25 AMPosted by MissCheetah
It does not fit their narrative that in order to get green text you have to mindlessly agree with everything Blizz does.

People don't have to mindlessly agree with green text just because it's green. It's just as valid to disagree with your opinions as anyone else's.
05/05/2019 10:35 AMPosted by Meteorblade
People don't have to mindlessly agree with green text just because it's green. It's just as valid to disagree with your opinions as anyone else's.

Of course it is :) What I take issue with is the blind assumption by some (not you) that Green = shill instead of actually reading. We seem to agree everyone should be judged by what is said, not the color of the text. Now, if they start paying me that would be different.

I try very hard to do that myself. I would be terrible at helping people out if I refused to value what someone says just because of their name or reputation on the forum. There is only one person on this forum who has landed on my Ignore list in all the years I have been doing this. That individual is an outright troll who notoriously farms downvotes and such so I give them no attention.

Edit - with regard to DTMAce, he does not blindly agree with me at all! We have had many disagreements that have even been taken off the forums. We can be respectful and agree to disagree though. Pretty sure if he has an issue he feels totally comfortable just messaging met o talk about it.
05/05/2019 10:41 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Edit - with regard to DTMAce, he does not blindly agree with me at all! We have had many disagreements that have even been taken off the forums. We can be respectful and agree to disagree though. Pretty sure if he has an issue he feels totally comfortable just messaging met o talk about it.

I can remember several "discussions" that lasted an hour or more. lol

But its all good. She is correct though, we don't always agree on things. But I can agree that people making assumptions or taking things out of context are irksome.

I have talked with MissCheetah over voice many times over the past few years just to chat, she is actually a pretty interesting person to get to know.

;)

Game on.
05/05/2019 10:41 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Of course it is :) What I take issue with is the blind assumption by some (not you) that Green = shill instead of actually reading. We seem to agree everyone should be judged by what is said, not the color of the text. Now, if they start paying me that would be different.

You should see the fun I'm getting for the BlizzCon pricing. Some of the people here are so blinded by anger and hatred they're finding evil in everything. There are just some people here that there's no reasoning with anymore.
05/05/2019 09:25 AMPosted by MissCheetah

I do not have a single thing in my house, besides my cable modem, connected to the internet. Not the thermostat, alarm, fridge or one of those spy pod Alexa type things. My dumb house is dumb.

I still own and use checks and don't have a debit card.

Mom, get back in your room. I told you that you can only come out to feed the cats.
05/05/2019 10:56 AMPosted by DTMAce
I have talked with MissCheetah over voice many times over the past few years just to chat, she is actually a pretty interesting person to get to know.

I'd probably just end up discussing recipes with her because I have such a vivid mental picture of a delicious smelling house with happy kitties milling around when she talks about her mammoth cooking sessions.
05/05/2019 11:54 AMPosted by Meteorblade
05/05/2019 10:56 AMPosted by DTMAce

I'd probably just end up discussing recipes with her because I have such a vivid mental picture of a delicious smelling house with happy kitties milling around when she talks about her mammoth cooking sessions.

I won't lie, that is pretty much what happens for most people I talk to. I adore talking cooking and sharing ideas. I am not some sort of super chef or anything. I only cook for myself most of the time. I just have a lot of fun doing it!

Please find me any instance of Blizzard selling our info directly? They would get sued to death if they did that without notifying us. They specifically do not sell our personal data. Not that they don't use some of the data internally, but they are not selling it.

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/a4380ee5-5c8d-4e3b-83b7-ea26d01a9918/blizzard-entertainment-online-privacy-policy

Blizzard will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this Privacy Policy. We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may, however, share non-personally identifiable, aggregated, and/or public information with third parties. Additionally, we may share your game play data, Battletag, Blizzard ID, and/or unique identifiers specific to your device with third parties for the purpose of tailoring content as well as personalizing, adjusting and improving our services. In addition, we may share your personal information with other Activision Blizzard group companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Policy.

Now, I have no idea what the AXS company will do with the data.

They may not be selling it, but they're for sure "sharing" it liberally. Including my Blizzard ID which is my e-mail.
I regretfully used my personal correspondence e-mail to create my Blizzard account. I use that account only for private e-mail between friends and family, and Blizzard is they ONLY commercial entity that has it on file.
Unfortunately, the domain recently changed their spam screening protocol, and now I'm getting spam delivered to that address.
How did that happen?
05/05/2019 12:07 PMPosted by Raistlin
They may not be selling it, but they're for sure "sharing" it liberally. Including my Blizzard ID which is my e-mail.
I regretfully used my personal correspondence e-mail to create my Blizzard account. I use that account only for private e-mail between friends and family, and Blizzard is they ONLY commercial entity that has it on file.
Unfortunately, the domain recently changed their spam screening protocol, and now I'm getting spam delivered to that address.
How did that happen?

If you created the account prior to the data breach Blizzard had a few years back in 2012, then that email became available due to a data breach. You would have received both a message stating to change your password (and email if possible) and a forced password change upon next login at that time. Blizzard doesn't sell your email address or even share it as it is (sadly still) half of your login credentials for Battle.net related services.

So if you're still using the same email address from prior to that data breach, that's how that information got out. I changed my email address the day I found out about that breach and have never gotten anything related to it. And that email address is only for Battle.net purposes, nothing else, so I'll know instantly when and if it's been compromised or shared.

The other possibility in your case is that because you used the same email address for correspondence other than Battle.net, one or more contacts had their data breached and information was obtained that way as well. That's why it's always a good idea to have separate emails for specialized sites like Blizzard. I'd do the same thing for say, Epic or Steam. This way I know who screwed up and have near instant notification to rectify the situation.