Spyware

Games & Technology
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
05/05/2019 12:07 PMPosted by Raistlin
How did that happen?

Excellent question. I have an email set up for just Blizzard stuff. I have never ever gotten a single email that was not from Blizzard. I am opted in to the newsletter stuff so get adverts. I changed it after the 2012 data hack attempt that did harvest some email addresses. Blizz was public about it and told everyone fast. I changed mine then.

If anyone else who has your email address in their contacts list gets compromised the malware will farm every single contact they have, including your email.

One of my other gmail accounts that uses my Btag on the other hand gets spammed all to heck from data mining bots who just combine parts of public user names with common email domains. So MC@yahoo.com for example would be one they try. (not a real email for me).

The other thing, if your real name is part of your email name, it will get spammed just like my user name does.
Well, that will be one thing to look forward too once the forums change.

The end of downvotes.

I think people downvote just to downvote.

If you are one of those people, downvote this post! heheh

Game on.
05/05/2019 01:22 PMPosted by DTMAce
Well, that will be one thing to look forward too once the forums change.

The end of downvotes.

I think people downvote just to downvote.

If you are one of those people, downvote this post! heheh

Game on.

I personally pay downvotes no mind, however I can see that it can be rather discouraging for newer players.
05/05/2019 01:28 PMPosted by Oblivion
I personally pay downvotes no mind, however I can see that it can be rather discouraging for newer players

I agree with this. I don't really care about downvotes and do like to use them from time to time. Some posts just are really bad ideas.

New players get super frustrated though when they don't understand the game, post on the Bug Report forum for something that is not actually a bug, then get downvoted. Or get downvoted on the TS forum. I do feel that new player, tech support, and bug report should not have downvotes.
Thankfully we won't have to worry about that nonsense when the forum switches over to Discourse. And as a side bonus, players that decide to use the flagging system as a means of downvoting will find their posting privileges revoked. Forum toxicity went down markedly on the WoW fora after the change to Discourse because players were forced to actually discuss their reasonings for disagreeing rather than simply burying a post via downvotes.

As for that downvote button - I almost never use it. My view is if I can't put forth a valid counterpoint or argument and have to resort to using a downvote instead, then I never really had anything worth contributing in the first place.
One dimension of this spyware is to make sure Blizzard has the information on anyone that seeks to cause problems during the convention.

Security will be able to remove anyone at any time because everyone will be holding/wearing a phone.

Your phone will identify you to the security people.

Last years horrible outcome will never happen again.

Blizzard has become pro active and will not hesitate to remove anyone deemed a problem or dangerous.

Also security will be able to mark trouble makers and track them from their security office.

This whole spyware goes real deep, deeper than most are aware of.
05/05/2019 02:37 PMPosted by Chetanji
One dimension of this spyware is to make sure Blizzard has the information on anyone that seeks to cause problems during the convention.

Security will be able to remove anyone at any time because everyone will be holding/wearing a phone.

Blizzard has become pro active and will not hesitate to remove anyone deemed a problem or dangerous.

Poor Red Shirt Guy. Gently, he is a hero.
05/04/2019 12:41 PMPosted by Gadra
So who downloaded the new Blizzcon required known spyware app ?

Hum ........ although I have/will never join Blizzcon, even know nothing about Blizzcon App, I still like to know what happen ^^.

Is Blizzcon App here mean an app for Mobile or PC or both?
It pre-require a spyware before download or Blizzcon itself a spyware?
Who or which program/app say it's a spyware or require a spyware before download?
05/05/2019 06:16 PMPosted by WCLee
05/04/2019 12:41 PMPosted by Gadra
So who downloaded the new Blizzcon required known spyware app ?

Hum ........ although I have/will never join Blizzcon, even know nothing about Blizzcon App, I still like to know what happen ^^.

Is Blizzcon App here mean an app for Mobile or PC or both?
It pre-require a spyware before download or Blizzcon itself a spyware?
Who or which program/app say it's a spyware or require a spyware before download?

They are talking about the third party app by AXS that Blizzard has outsourced specifically for Blizzcon ticket verification/purchase, etc...

It's not made by Blizzard, but by some other company and is pretty much scrapeware.... Sad.
05/05/2019 01:32 PMPosted by MissCheetah
New players get super frustrated though when they don't understand the game, post on the Bug Report forum for something that is not actually a bug, then get downvoted. Or get downvoted on the TS forum. I do feel that new player, tech support, and bug report should not have downvotes.

Agree. Why go New Player, Tech Support, or Bug Report if not ask for help or to help? Social media bully downvotes validate following argument.
Most bullies don't actually think they're better than everyone, it's that they are so insecure and feel so small that they try much harder than needed to assume some sort of dominance. A lot of bullies deal with a lot of self hatred and end up taking it out on others.

https://www.7cups.com/qa-bullying-10/why-do-people-feel-the-need-to-demean-others-to-feel-better-about-themselves-3028/
Down vote Eliminated.
Safe Space Confirmed.
Order a round of Lattes.
!@#$ing shame on you blizzard for using this disgusting trash of an app for your event. You make me sick.
Why are people so surprised that Apps spy on your activities?
If you want to fly below the radar, good luck.
Regardless if data is being sold by someone or not, that data is easily hacked and harvested by spammers. Whether or not the parties involved with the hacked app are in for a cut is another story, no one will ever know.
05/05/2019 06:38 PMPosted by DTMAce
They are talking about the third party app by AXS that Blizzard has outsourced specifically for Blizzcon ticket verification/purchase, etc...

It's not made by Blizzard, but by some other company and is pretty much scrapeware.... Sad.

I see. Thank for information :-)
05/05/2019 06:38 PMPosted by DTMAce

The app is not something Blizz outsourced. It is an app AXS developed and uses for all the events they sell tickets for. It is used to verify your ticket purchase to prevent fraud. They (AXS) have been using it for quite a while apparently.

So, Blizzard's choice to use this ticket vendor, means the app is used because that is what the ticket company does.

I still think requiring a smart phone and an app is the wrong move though. I want to hear more about other ways to get the Blizzcon badge for those without smart phones or who don't want the app. Blizz said there was a customer solutions desk if there were phone issues but did not give details about how that works.
05/06/2019 07:26 AMPosted by MissCheetah
So, Blizzard's choice to use this ticket vendor, means the app is used because that is what the ticket company does.

So Blizzard did indeed outsource it. It is outside of their business domain and therefore not subject to their direct control of what the app does/doesn't collect.

I don't use con apps, never have. If I want to go to some show or something, I just go. Show up. Pay. Get in. Done. Since Blizzard has a limited time frame, limited amount of room and whatnot, that makes the experience harder.

And now with this new company, you are subject to the whim of RnG that you cannot influence with page tab saturation. Good luck getting a ticket.

Game on.
05/05/2019 02:37 PMPosted by Chetanji

Also security will be able to mark trouble makers and track them from their security office.

This whole spyware goes real deep, deeper than most are aware of.

Big Brotherism. FB has controlling their user base (Conservatives are bad, orange man bad, red hat bad) for years now. It is becoming more and more evident with big companies nowadays that will just erase you from Social Media completely.
05/06/2019 08:03 AMPosted by DTMAce
So Blizzard did indeed outsource it. It is outside of their business domain and therefore not subject to their direct control of what the app does/doesn't collect.

This is not outsourcing. If Blizzard had outsourced the app, they would have been the ones directing its creation and implementation. They merely selected a new vendor (AXS as opposed to EventBrite, which was used before). That vendor already had an app that they used for all of their transactions, prior to Blizzard selecting them, I might add. That doesn't make the app any less scummy, but it does mean Blizzard did not outsource it. They merely made a rather large feaux pas with regard to the requirement of a smartphone after last year's debacle.

As for the lottery system, as much as it stings to not be able to brute force your way in, it's a hell of a lot more fair to the (potential) purchasers than the FIFO system used before. Previously one could log in ultra early with a bazillion tabs and essentially ensure they got their tickets (and more if they were planning to scalp some later). Now they can't. They get four max and that's it. It doesn't stop the scalping, but it does make the initial transactions as fair as possible. No, you can't have 50 tabs open to get a ticket like Drothvader (and anyone with two functioning brain cells) had to do before. But neither can anyone else.

In an ideal world, Blizzard would have set up a system that purchases the ticket through them, linked to your Battle.net account (so you can't game the system), and then used a transaction token system like what many others do when they let you use PayPal for the transaction to protect your personal information. This would then let you gift other Battle.net accounts any tickets you bought if you wished to.

Unfortunately for us, this means money spent for not a lot of return on Blizzard's part, though the R&D portion of the money spent would be a one time affair most likely and the system would be reusable in the future. But this is what we've got. Better than last year, but sadly comes with spyware baggage nobody wants. :(
05/05/2019 07:20 PMPosted by Gr8Hornytoad
Down vote Eliminated.
Safe Space Confirmed.
Order a round of Lattes.

Gotta make sure they are Soy Lattes and its an extra 2.85 for soy! because you know soy is expensive............