Could I get some help with learning Necro?

Necromancer
Hey everyone I just want to see if you guys can give me some tips?
I've been playing Diablo for a few seasons now but i've always played DH pretty much and went for the easy multi shot or shadow builds, not much thought and pretty easy to build.
I want to try necro this season and really put time into it but whenever I look up videos or guides people are using words/phrases I don't understand but the casual necro does, so If you guys could just throw me your noob necro tips i would be forever grateful!
I just want to be able to get a grasp for this class so I can at least kinda understand videos and references people are using haha
The necro is a squishy class. Probably, because it can summon so many things. You're going to get killed in 1 shot a lot at higher levels if you don't invest in Vit or items that greatly reduce damage. Your most damaging abilities are your corpse abilities. Corpses are a finite resource. However, Land of the Dead allows you to use corpse abilities without limitation for a short period of time. Try to make use of that ability.

I don't want to tell you exactly how to play. There are lots of different builds. Some people even play a melee necro with no pets, and, it's viable at high levels.
05/11/2019 05:25 PMPosted by Bloodthroe
The necro is a squishy class. Probably, because it can summon so many things. You're going to get 1 shot a lot at higher levels if you don't invest in Vit or items that greatly reduce damage. Your most damaging abilities are your corpse abilities. Corpses are a finite resource. However, Land of the Dead allows you to use corpse abilities without limitation for a short period of time. Try to make use of that ability.

I don't want to tell you exactly how to play. There are lots of different builds. Some people even play a melee necro with no pets, and, it's viable at high levels.

hmm thank you, this is definitely helpful :D
I agree with Necros being squishy, which is why I try to use damage reduction items and skills.

Decrepify is a great skill to use and it becomes even more beneficial with the Dayntee's Binding belt.

If you decide to go with the Inarius set then Wisdom of Kalan is a great supplementary item.

Golemskin Breeches is another good damage reduction item that you can benefit from as long as you have Golem as one of your skills.

As hinted at by Bloodthroe, one of the ways to mitigate some of the incoming damage is through the use of minions. Sometimes monsters will attack your minions instead of you, which is always useful.
Positioning is a key factor in playing with the necro, knowing how to avoid attacks. Always try to stay behind your minions like a coward or else you'll be one shot to death.
Master this and you have come a long way with the true awesome Necromancer.
Necro is squishy, I agree. Never stay to long at one place, bloodrush very often use defensive skills bone armor, devour with restore life rune, and you will be fine. Necro gameplay requires you to learn his game mechanic well, just play and practice.
But after all, all depends what build you want to play. Builds greatly changes how you will play your Necro.
I will play with Necro in new season, his LOn build is very tanky, I tried it, in most of the time I got so much vitality hard to die, thanks to devour that restores life.. The more enemies surround you, the more vitality you get... At most of the time I got about 150 million health... Its a good starting build and easy to play.
Necroes are squishy as gello... but they have one of the highest punchers in the game.

And when the above players say "use damage reduction items and skills", by "skills" they are referring to player's skills as well.

When you see squishy Necroes surviving GR130s solo, that is called Player's Skills!
I too could use a hand - main DH player but I rolled Necro to get the Years of War conquest for Conqueror.

Fate would have it that I have the most pieces of the Pestilence set so I started off with the Icy Veins spec as best I could. No gloves yet so have to use RoRG in the Cube for now, and my gear is obviously garbage but is the Corpse Lance build really just run around and try not to die while LotD is on cooldown? I can do 40ish GRs but 45+ is just instant death from everything (single spear, wasp projectile, initial lightning, poison pool, etc). No Relienas or Krysbins yet either.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/PMG-1510/hero/111634339

Swapping gems between my 2 S17 toons btw.

Do I need to just roll CDR on everything??? Super frustrating when I can do 90 with my S6 DH at same paragon (better gear mostly) but get squashed at 45 with Necro.

I just want to clear a 55 and then find some Rathma gear to do the same...am I stuck until I get all the right pieces or is there anything I can do with what I have to get there??