Relocating LoN To A Unique

General Discussion
Everyone,

I think the Season of Nightmares has highlighted was what always a problem with the LoN said independent of how its damage and reduction numbers were tuned: it takes up two ring slots. These slots are precious, as seen by how much better LoN Captain America is on Seasonal versus Non-Seasonal. It seems somewhat ironic that the set meant to be the end-game "anti-set" mechanic knocks out slots that would be specifically reserved for legendary, and not set, rings.

However, making the LoN Seasonal buff permanent seems wonky and not new-user friendly too. Players would have to know that it exists rather than actively equipping it.

My suggestion is to make the LoN build a legendary power, and put it on an item. I would suggest shoulders, as there are far-and-away the fewest solid shoulder options available (Mantel of Channeling is the exception, but only applies to a small handful of builds).

Alternatively, make it a 6-piece set, of which only 2 are needed for the bonus. Let people mix and match as they see fit. The bottom line is that rings are sacred, and taking them away in exchange for the bonus feels...unsatisfying.
I always said I wouldn't try LoN until we had a season or it became a passive. I know we won't be able to keep it like this after the season, which is a bummer, but I wouldn't be mad if they added another slot to the cube that let us choose to have the LoN buff as a passive, or the F/R, or EW, or RoRG. At this point in D3's life cycle, might as well give us all the options we can handle.
Add charms to game. Add "Legacy of Nightmares" Unique charm. Give a range of rolls for the dmg multiplier 600-750% and the toughness multiplier 3-5% per equipped ancient.
It takes up 2 ring slot on purpose. The more difficult item choices the developer put in the game, the better their item creation mission would have succeeded! ;)
06/04/2019 09:10 AMPosted by Brandir
Add charms to game. Add "Legacy of Nightmares" Unique charm. Give a range of rolls for the dmg multiplier 600-750% and the toughness multiplier 3-5% per equipped ancient.

Little flippin’ overpowered for a charm, don’t you think?

——

Also shoulders are a bad slot for this, if I even entertain that idea. Many LoN builds are channeled spells because there is barely any set support for them, Whirlwind being the exception.
06/04/2019 09:11 AMPosted by Lloyd
It takes up 2 ring slot on purpose. The more difficult item choices the developer put in the game, the better their item creation mission would have succeeded! ;)

Exactly. Just like with class sets you need to sacrifice the use of several potentially powerful legendary powers from diffferent items, with LoN you'll have to sacrifice 2 ring slots. This is done on purpose to give at least a semblance of balancing between class sets and LoN.

The free LoN buff for S17 is great and I've had a blast with the Blood Nova build but I still wouldn't make it permanent nor move it to a single item.
06/04/2019 09:44 AMPosted by Kirottu

Exactly. Just like with class sets you need to sacrifice the use of several potentially powerful legendary powers from diffferent items, with LoN you'll have to sacrifice 2 ring slots. This is done on purpose to give at least a semblance of balancing between class sets and LoN.

The free LoN buff for S17 is great and I've had a blast with the Blood Nova build but I still wouldn't make it permanent nor move it to a single item.

[quote="207701978771"]It takes up 2 ring slot on purpose. The more difficult item choices the developer put in the game, the better their item creation mission would have succeeded! ;)

Um...did you forget that you sacrifice set bonuses? So it denies sets and rings? Great design!!
the jewelry slots are half my damage alone and that's not including the legendary powers attached to them.
06/04/2019 09:10 AMPosted by Brandir

Oh yes, the allure of d2 charms. hoarding large amounts of +1 to all skills charms... filling half you inventory, if not more with em...

And having to return to town every 3 items picked up.
This forum is crazy. I made a post suggesting something quite similar and the downvotes flood in.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771636991

I suggested re-implementing LoN into a single legendary ring that we could cube like RoRG. This would free up the 2 main ring slots on the char. I explained the reasoning behind the idea.

One might ask why re-implement as a single ring?
You have to understand that when players were asking to have non-set items elevated they weren't asking for a "no-set" set. The ring set is basically an agnostic damage buff/damage reduction aura limited to the player character. I'm not the first to ask for LoN to work with non-ancient items, but to a lesser degree.
06/04/2019 08:30 AMPosted by Negator
Everyone,

I think the Season of Nightmares has highlighted was what always a problem with the LoN said independent of how its damage and reduction numbers were tuned: it takes up two ring slots. These slots are precious, as seen by how much better LoN Captain America is on Seasonal versus Non-Seasonal. It seems somewhat ironic that the set meant to be the end-game "anti-set" mechanic knocks out slots that would be specifically reserved for legendary, and not set, rings.

However, making the LoN Seasonal buff permanent seems wonky and not new-user friendly too. Players would have to know that it exists rather than actively equipping it.

My suggestion is to make the LoN build a legendary power, and put it on an item. I would suggest shoulders, as there are far-and-away the fewest solid shoulder options available (Mantel of Channeling is the exception, but only applies to a small handful of builds).

Alternatively, make it a 6-piece set, of which only 2 are needed for the bonus. Let people mix and match as they see fit. The bottom line is that rings are sacred, and taking them away in exchange for the bonus feels...unsatisfying.

Just make all ancient items have a line of text "Gain 750% per ancient item equipped if you have NO sets equipped" Not set items, just sets like 2, 4, and 6.

That way you don't limit builds etc.
Not sure what the purpose of putting LoN into a legendary affix would serve other than to once again highlight just how bad build diversity is without the innate LoN, just as the last season's change to innate RoRG did for sets.

The entire point is to have these be innate so the full breadth of choice is available to the player. Let them decide to go with either sets or LoN. It isn't a very complicated concept here.
06/05/2019 02:31 AMPosted by TheTias
Not sure what the purpose of putting LoN into a legendary affix would serve other than to once again highlight just how bad build diversity is without the innate LoN, just as the last season's change to innate RoRG did for sets.

The entire point is to have these be innate so the full breadth of choice is available to the player. Let them decide to go with either sets or LoN. It isn't a very complicated concept here.

barely 900 paragon, talking about build diversity lul. You just metaslave and think there is no build diversity. Good talk.

Having LoN on all ancient gear would allow for complete build diversity and allow devs to buff other gear or rework old legendaries that see 0 play. Instead of limiting classes / builds by removing 2 rings to make LoN work, which is a bad concept.
This is something a lot of players have complained about since LON was introduced... it makes sense for the power to be on a ring since rings are the only item you can have two of equipped so with a single LON ring, you can at least have another legendary ring equipped. But it seems like they just wanted to use the LON rings so they could refer to it as the 'No Set' set.

In doing so, classes with damage boosting and damage reduction rings have to decide on one or the other in the cube... my lightning Wiz need Manald Heal but as a consequence cannot get enough DR on her... and I play HC too with this build on my alt account.

Alternatively, I think they should give us the LON bonus as a passive buff if we hit GR80 solo and the RORG buff if we hit GR90 solo. I mean, we get primals unlocked at GR70 so further unlocks would be good to encourage players to push and higher GRs should unlock the means for more power. They can then turn the LON rings into the reverse EW set... 100% damage buff when moving and 50% DR when standing still... would be great for things like EB Wiz, WW Barb, Strafe DH, TR Monk, and maybe even Condemn Sader.
06/05/2019 02:31 AMPosted by TheTias

I am not disagreeing in principle. In practice, it would be confusing to have a constant buff. I think aesthetically, linking it to a ring or something would be nice.

Maybe the solution is to have a fourth Kanai slot for "buffs" which let you pick between LoN, RoRG, and maybe...F/R or E/W?