Spined dart --- Poison or Physical?

Witch Doctor
As the topic title asks ... if the spined dart rune is used, are the darts that Fetish fire physical as the tool tip states, or poison?
I seem to remember that there was a post somewhere that said that all fetish darts are poison damage.

Can anyone clarify? I noticed that some folks are rolling +physical on gear, with high scores on the LB.
I have +20% poison on my wrists and all my darts are poison. I'm under the impression that your highest % element is what element your attacks will deal damage as. The weapon and the skill element type were deprecated sometime ago.

I could be wrong and if I am someone will come along and correct me.
05/15/2019 04:50 PMPosted by Hamiltonz
I have +20% poison on my wrists and all my darts are poison. I'm under the impression that your highest % element is what element your attacks will deal damage as. The weapon and the skill element type were deprecated sometime ago.

I could be wrong and if I am someone will come along and correct me.

I’lol try to explain. The fetish only shoot the poison element. This is the main reason that everyone uses bracers and amulets with 20% poison damage. The only reason we use the physical rune is to activate the depth diggers 100% damage bonus.

It’s weird but I have tested amulets and bracers with physical element instead. The damage is much lower and the fetish darts do not benefit.
There is a very easy way to test......equip a COE ring and watch as the damage numbers go mental when the Poison cycle hits :)
I did this as I was unsure myself years ago and found this the easy way to test ......

Cheers Widgetman....
2 questions :
- Depth Diggers 100% damage bonus is apply to fetich dart ?
- does Fetich dart proc Area Damage ?
05/16/2019 12:10 AMPosted by Widgetman
There is a very easy way to test......equip a COE ring and watch as the damage numbers go mental when the Poison cycle hits :)

I did just this. I used a COE and took off all + elemental gear and the physical damage was noticably higher. Try it yourself.

Not sure why they would keep the Legion of Daggers tooltip wording that states "The fetishes attack for 180% of your weapon damage as physical" if it were actually poison. Unless it was poison element for shooting, and physical for melee.

I put my Physical amy and bracers on and got another 2 GR lvls (117) than I had with poison.
...go figure
You didn't understand : Legion of dagger make Physical damage, but when them send a dart, it's poison dart.
Check the color of the dart, and check Carnevil :
"The 10 Fetishes closest to you will shoot a powerful Poison Dart every time you do."

Reminder , i have 2 questions :
- Depth Diggers 100% damage bonus is apply to fetich dart ?
"Primary skills that generate resource deal 100% additional damage" : so it will buff physical dart that player send, but does it buff Fetiches dart ?
- does Fetich dart proc Area Damage ?
Depth diggers buffs players physical dart using hidden sheet damage, this sheet damage is used for carnevil dart damage so yes it buffs both.

Fetishes poison darts from carnevil do not proc area damage.
05/16/2019 11:24 AMPosted by Soifon
Depth diggers buffs players physical dart using hidden sheet damage, this sheet damage is used for carnevil dart damage so yes it buffs both.

Fetishes poison darts from carnevil do not proc area damage.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware that the fetish poison darts do not proc area damage. Where did you find that info?
Procs can't proc procs.
Your fetishes don't actually cast poison dart as an ability, it's a carnevil proc. Because if you're not casting poison dart they will only melee (or use ranged if tiki).

There are similar interactions with the other classes and pets not procing area damage.

Gargs proc area damage because they hit with a melee attack and abilities that are attached to the pet.

The reason why pet modifiers buff fetish darts is because blizzard deliberately coded it in that way.
05/16/2019 12:30 PMPosted by Soifon
Procs can't proc procs.
Your fetishes don't actually cast poison dart as an ability, it's a carnevil proc. Because if you're not casting poison dart they will only melee (or use ranged if tiki).

There are similar interactions with the other classes and pets not procing area damage.

Gargs proc area damage because they hit with a melee attack and abilities that are attached to the pet.

The reason why pet modifiers buff fetish darts is because blizzard deliberately coded it in that way.

Makes sense. From what I tested area damage didn’t seem to help but it’s good to know I don’t need it on the odd piece like my off-hand or shoulders.
05/16/2019 11:24 AMPosted by Soifon

Thanks, something like this is what I suspected.
...but where did you find this tidbit?
Okay I tested again a few times in T16........No % gear on Coe on and with 10 Fetishes up......on every rotation I would be hitting around 600-650 Bill with the Fetish darts...until Poison rotation hits for around 1300 Bill.......This is from the fetishes darts.
I agree that the damage with the spined states Physical on the tool tip, this is why I tested it.I could not see with all the darts flying if only my own dart hit for more damage with physical , but even so having 10 darts with poison is surely better?

PS....I'm using LON variant if this helps at all........
05/16/2019 12:30 PMPosted by Soifon
Procs can't proc procs.

I have read

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/zuni-carnevil-poison-dart-witch-doctor-bis-gear-gems-paragon-points

and they seem to recommend the area damage roll. Where did you find that info?
Fetish darts are always poison
05/27/2019 06:52 PMPosted by ElobaCarcen
I haven't played WD for a while. I used to have a record in top 100 in one of the eras on EU (back when GR 55 was high), but back then the WD didn't use Depth diggers. I could use advise.

At a certain point in time, WDs were using Depth diggers, but that was for a LoN build, where the damage multiplier from LoN affects your darts as well as those of your pets.

Then I think they started using Zuni with Depth Diggers, but back then the Carnevil was working for just 5 fetishes instead of 10.

Now that Carvenil works for 10 fetishes, isn't it more beneficial for one to use Swamp Land Waders with poison (or full Zuni and Convention in the Cube) instead of Depth Diggers? Or does Depth Diggers affect the darts, that the fetishes shoot as well?
The darts from your fetishes are Poison damage. You take poison damage because there are a lot more fetishes that do poison damage, so you get more benefit from it. You do physical damage based on the rune that's required to make DoD strong, since that's the only rune that generates resource, which triggers depth diggers pants' bonus damage effect.

All pets' damages are based on your own damage, so anything that boosts your damage (poison dart damage boosts only YOUR damage, not your pets), will boost your pet damage.

@Eloba yes, theoretically you can do that, but the downside is that WDs have multiple good legendaries for cube, and depth diggers > swamp land waders. The reason you don't wear swamp land and cube depth diggers is because mask of jeram is sooo much better as a cube item, as compared to depth diggers.