Elites globes

General Discussion
So I might get flamed by this (please don't) but I have an idea people might agree or not agree on. When an elite dies, as we all know they drop globes to further progression in NRs and GRs. How about instead of having globes drop in a random direction once we kill an elite, that mechanic is taken out and just the percentage is added on when that mob dies. It would be a better experience because the time it takes to pick up those globes you could be looking for the next mob. Just a nice QOL change that could be implemented
I happen to like picking up the globes. Especially when you've got a main elite and loads of tough sidekicks that take a while to murder. Just kill the main elite and you know you can move on because the globes dropped for you to pick up and the rest ain't worth slowing up for.
I'd be fine with that.

I do like the globes sound and animation though. Maybe they could just fly out of the demons bodies and into ours automatically when they die.
May be in GRs may apply through a Pylon, in Nephalem Rifts it only promotes fast farming classes to outpace slower ones and rip them out of their loot.

If fast farming class skip badly scattered globes in a NR just to move ahead and get more progression from trash mobs; someone may pick the skipped globes as progress gets near 99% and get a nearby spawn for Rift Guardian. I think that's fine.
If the model you said applies and it automatically adds, fast class will always outpace the slower ones, speedkill the RG and demand a rift closure in 30 seconds before others can catch with the loot dropped by RG kill. Every time.

Same scenery less likely to happen in a GR since high scale force players to stick together in a group. Again, the most fitting treatment would be putting such thing at Pylons only; I think invulnerability Pylon would be a nice pair for such thing.
05/23/2019 09:22 AMPosted by naksiloth
May be in GRs may apply through a Pylon, in Nephalem Rifts it only promotes fast farming classes to outpace slower ones and rip them out of their loot.

If fast farming class skip badly scattered globes in a NR just to move ahead and get more progression from trash mobs; someone may pick the skipped globes as progress gets near 99% and get a nearby spawn for Rift Guardian. I think that's fine.
If the model you said applies and it automatically adds, fast class will always outpace the slower ones, speedkill the RG and demand a rift closure in 30 seconds before others can catch with the loot dropped by RG kill. Every time.

Same scenery less likely to happen in a GR since high scale force players to stick together in a group. Again, the most fitting treatment would be putting such thing at Pylons only; I think invulnerability Pylon would be a nice pair for such thing.

Stop trying to make this game look like it suppose to be balance around casual snowflakes in pub games.
05/23/2019 09:22 AMPosted by naksiloth

See this is a tricky situation because on the one hand it helps with clear and makes the game smoother but on the other hand if you are playing something slow then it'll make slow classes feel useless in a way. Maybe if this were to be implemented then you have to wait for all players to collect loot from the RG before you can close it? 99% of the time you are picking everything up from the kill so it would make sense for it to be like that, at least in my mind.
05/23/2019 09:18 AMPosted by Damocles
I happen to like picking up the globes. Especially when you've got a main elite and loads of tough sidekicks that take a while to murder. Just kill the main elite and you know you can move on because the globes dropped for you to pick up and the rest ain't worth slowing up for.

I don’t. If you’re playing something like Archon Wizard where speed is critical, circling for orbs can take several precious seconds.
Having the progress built in would certainly reduce the time it takes to collect the orbs, perhaps having to backtrack to do so, but there's also the case that as each orb is worth slightly over 1% of progress each, people might deliberately avoid picking them up until a cooldown is available to spawn the guardian. So, whilst it's slower, it does give more control.
Orbs sometimes help me locate the DBs and other loot (not during a GR obviously) when you start AoE'ing stuff off screen I don't even know you killed an elite until I see an orb. Perhaps if you bake it into GRs only since that's where the extra couple seconds make a leaderboard difference.
05/23/2019 10:02 AMPosted by Orrion
I don’t. If you’re playing something like Archon Wizard where speed is critical, circling for orbs can take several precious seconds.

If you're playing archon, you're a glutton for punishment anyway ;-)
05/23/2019 09:50 AMPosted by Dmoney
like it suppose to be balance around casual snowflakes

No need to act selfish either.

05/23/2019 09:52 AMPosted by Battlekondom
See this is a tricky situation

There's no trick.
The only strategic reason someone might want to keep the purple orb system is for situations where you see a power pylon near the start a GR on the first floor. You can kill an elite near it, and purposely skip picking up the orbs. Then, when you have around 97% or so of the GR completed, you can town portal back to town, reenter the GR and pick up the orbs you left behind. Now you have the boss spawning on you with a power pylon nearby!

Edit: wow this thread is toxic, even my honest objective statement got down votes lol. Maybe there are other reasons to hold off on using the orbs but this was the only one I could think of.
05/23/2019 09:09 AMPosted by Battlekondom
How about instead of having globes drop in a random direction once we kill an elite, that mechanic is taken out and just the percentage is added on when that mob dies

that would make too much sense, and thus not gonna happen
05/23/2019 12:59 PMPosted by Iria
reenter the GR and pick up the orbs you left behind

Progress orbs may vanish when unattended for too long. There's no guarantee that you would catch them and you won't find a Pylon right at the start with 0% progress at all.

05/23/2019 12:59 PMPosted by Iria
Edit: wow this thread is toxic, even my honest objective statement got down votes lol.

If people downvoted that may be not because you weren't honest but wrong.
I've mentally debate about this issue before, but I think I opt for keeping the orbs even though running after them can slow things down a little. When the screen is full of overlapping mobs and chaotic pyrotechnics, hearing those orbs pop up lets me know when the worst threat is gone, so they serve a useful purpose for me at least. Also, having the orbs not scatter and just be added to the progress bar automatically would probably facilitate botting of rifts all the more, too.

I can also confirm the earlier comment about the orbs vanishing with time. I once tried to save some right next to a pylon I had cleared out around for when I summoned the RG, but they had vanished after a minute or so.
Progress orbs may vanish when unattended for too long. There's no guarantee that you would catch them and you won't find a Pylon right at the start with 0% progress at all.
I am not aware of progress globes ever vanishing so I will concede that point for now. However, I have seen pylons with 0% progression sometimes, maybe 1 in 20-30 GR though so it's definitely not common.