Does D3 need an option for auto-pressing buttons?

General Discussion
Hey Guys.

Diablo3 has long become a game, where many Class Builds require heavy and permanent button smashing. This is alright for a rift, two or maybe even some more. However after a couple of hours of gaming, there is a good chance your hand will call for a break, because hurting so much from this fast paced repetitive button pressing.

Keeping this in mind, you begin to wonder,why there is no such "autocast" option built in the game. As we know, the use of Macros (though for me it is not 100% clear what this exactly means - check my personal example below) is against the rules, which leaves us in a problematic spot. You either have to ruin your hands and keyboard, stop playing builds like this (meaning the availability of playable builds for you is severely limited) or dont care too much and break the rules.

There is also the possibility to use the "num trick" to simulate autocast, but this method has the big drawback, that it does not work as long as you keep pressing a button. This means you cannot use it for many builds, because that autocast would be disabled way too often.

All in all it means, we are in a pretty uncomfortable situation. So what do you guys think, wouldn't it be time for Blizz to help us leaving this "grey zone" and give us an officially approved option to fully enjoy the game while also saving our health (and that of our poor keyboards)?

On a personal note, i have been playing D3 since Day 1 and never used any macros so far. It just didn't feel right for me, because it was officially stated any macro is not allowed to be used.
However, now that me and my hands are getting older and having a great gaming day yesterday with the new awesome Chantodo Wizard (good work Blizzard, very fun to play!) even after a very refreshing night of sleep, my left hand still hurts a bit from all the pressing of Arcane Explosion.
So the first time in my Diablo Life, i was thinking about using one of the extra buttons of my Logitech Keyboard to help me out.

I hope you don't mind if i extend this topic a bit with my personal situation. Would i be allowed to use the Logitech gaming software to set my "Key 1 " to be automatically pressed? I don't want to use a spectacular combination of Skills to be used automatically, just 1 button permanently pressed and all would be fine.
I read in older threads something like "one keypress= one in-game action" but i dont know whether this applies to my preferred solution or this is already "too much".
It is important to me to know, both because of "gaming morale" (yes, you might laugh, but this is a thing to me - play by the rules and stuff, you rememer) and also i definetely dont want to loose my account with my beloved sorceress, who i have already played for more than 4,4k hours.

Thanks for reading and i am curious,what you guys think of this topic! Is it time to help us out saving our health and keyboards or should everything stay like it is?
Since i have never seen a bluepost, whether there is an intention from blizzard to give us such an option or not, it would be awesome to get an "official" reply (hope this is not asked for too much).

So long
Rpg

E: Since my first thread didn't show up (maybe "autocast" keyword is forbidden in a title) i changed the topic's name to a much clunkier one)
Since Blizzard is not against the use of Keyboard Macros and using the NumLock Trick, I would absolutely see no problem with this. (Like a right-click toggle on the actionbar to enable a shimmering auto-cast like in WC3, some pet abilities in WoW and other games.)
05/16/2019 03:29 AMPosted by Scáth
Since Blizzard is not against the use of Keyboard Macros and using the NumLock Trick, I would absolutely see no problem with this. (Like a right-click toggle on the actionbar to enable a shimmering auto-cast like in WC3, some pet abilities in WoW and other games.)

Aren't they against the use of keyboard macros?

Macros can be abused to the point where it can literally play the game for you while you sleep. In the old days it was used on ww barb to do core of arreat runs. These runs were actually good xp/hour back then.
05/16/2019 04:14 AMPosted by SteLitY

Aren't they against the use of keyboard macros?

Macros can be abused to the point where it can literally play the game for you while you sleep. In the old days it was used on ww barb to do core of arreat runs. These runs were actually good xp/hour back then.

As far as I know they aren't strictly against it. The current Star Pact Meteor Wizards are actually played with macros, too.
05/16/2019 04:29 AMPosted by Scáth
As far as I know they aren't strictly against it. The current Star Pact Meteor Wizards are actually played with macros, too.

Yes, they are strictly against it for all their games. If you can't do it with in-game controls, don't try to do it with out of game macros. The rule of thumb is one key press = one in-game action per game client. Making a macro to chain together skills so that one button press = multiple actions is against the rules.

They ban or suspend people for it frequently - especially in WoW.

The risk of getting banned in D3 is not one I would personally take. Sure, people might get away with it, for now, or even for years, but the risk of a ban still remains.
I haven’t never heard of somebody banned from using macros. But maybe I am wrong.
Just use macros, there is plenty of streamers that openly use them and have done for years with no action taken.

This has been spoken about alot as most of D3 builds are so spammy and not using a macro or numb lock could cause Repetitive strain injury (RSI) for more active players.
05/16/2019 07:16 AMPosted by Ancrel
Just use macros, there is plenty of streamers that openly use them and have done for years with no action taken.

This has been spoken about alot as most of D3 builds are so spammy and not using a macro or numb lock could cause Repetitive strain injury (RSI) for more active players.

Yes alot of players uses macros openly in streams, same goes for yolo mouse.
Most of em cause theyre lazy cheaters. Havent seen a single one of em banned yet, but that doesnt make it ok for me or any other legit player to use a third party software for ingame advantages, not even if I suffer from the worst possible disease there is.

Maybe a few players suffers from RSI or epilepsy or whatever-disease that makes Diablo III a less fun experience for em, they should prob stop playing for their own health sake rather then start to cheat.

"6/27/2013
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/10319928
As a reminder, we do not permit the use of hacks, bots, or other third-party software in conjunction with Diablo III"

Post is almost 7 years old and same discussion is still ongoing and noone's been punished for it (to my knowledge). So I do have some understanding why players do use macros and yolo mouse and whatnot.

The only ones suffering from these disadvantages are the legit players, congratz to us!
Even though Blizzard has a clear anti-macro stance, I feel that reported injuries etc... have caused the company to ban less frequently, and only for extreme cases.

The example of a click performing an arreat run for you, that is basically botting, and is an extreme case.

However, using the num-lock trick to auto-cast a skill has never been banned, and their have been people that have posted on here before saying that it is fine (believe it was a blue post even).

The point is that you should still be playing the game, so a long one click macro that casts all of your abilities over and over while you just move with the scroll wheel is not playing. But to have one or two spammable skills on num lock is simply not going to get you banned. It would be unethical of Blizzard to do this imo.
05/16/2019 06:57 AMPosted by MissCheetah

The rule of thumb is one key press = one in-game action per game client.

Dear Miss,
I still have problems with understanding this properly. If i use my Extrakey "G6" on the left side of my keyboard to toggle on and off an repetitive pressing of my Key "1" , would that match the "rule of thumb" or not?

Aside from this personal question, i would still like to hear your opinion if we needed such a 100%legit and easy to use function for autocast in d3 or not.
I must say,that would be one of the best so called "Quality of life" functions i could imagine. Prefered to an extra stash tab any day of the week.
(and i am still curious if blizz ever stated sth like "we consider it" or "nope, dont like it,will never happen").
05/16/2019 08:08 AMPosted by RpgDude
05/16/2019 06:57 AMPosted by MissCheetah

The rule of thumb is one key press = one in-game action per game client.

Dear Miss,
I still have problems with understanding this properly. If i use my Extrakey "G6" on the left side of my keyboard to toggle on and off an repetitive pressing of my Key "1" , would that match the "rule of thumb" or not?

Aside from this personal question, i would still like to hear your opinion if we needed such a 100%legit and easy to use function for autocast in d3 or not.
I must say,that would be one of the best so called "Quality of life" functions i could imagine. Prefered to an extra stash tab any day of the week.
(and i am still curious if blizz ever stated sth like "we consider it" or "nope, dont like it,will never happen").

If you press the g6 button once, will your skill cast only once or will it cast more than once? If the skill casts more than once, then it is "bannable."

This goes for any combination of skills, too. So if pressing one key casts two skills simultaneously, that is considered multiple actions and is "bannable."

While I believe blizzard monitors their competitive games like Overwatch for this kind of thing, I don't think it's a high priority on their more casual games.

Hopefully I understand your concern. You are free to map individual keys to any other key you want.

Examples:
-Map the skill on the "2" button to a mouse button instead. Fine.
-Map the skill on the "1" button to a different keyboard button. Fine.
-Map one keyboard button, or mouse button to the skills on "1", "2", and "3" so that all skills fire at the same time using a macro. Not ok.

If they wanted auto cast in game, they would have put it in game. They intentionally designed the game not to have it. I have not heard anything about that changing for the PC version. Personally I just map keys to a location that is easier for me to press, use a gel wrist pad, and take breaks for stretching my hands/wrists/rest of me.
Ah thanks for the clarification. So it would only be ok if "G6" presses "1" only once,then stops. If it presses "1" twice, its already too much. And twice is of course not enough for a rift.

So bad news so far.

05/16/2019 08:37 AMPosted by MissCheetah

If they wanted auto cast in game, they would have put it in game. They intentionally designed the game not to have it. I have not heard anything about that changing for the PC version. Personally I just map keys to a location that is easier for me to press, use a gel wrist pad, and take breaks for stretching my hands/wrists/rest of me.

Yeah,but D3 was not always like this. My hope was (and still is) they might recognize, how they changed their whole game into the direction of a click orgy and react appropiately to give us some easy option for all these (pretty brainless) button smashing.
Again, Blizzard itself said they are fine with numlock autocasting skills.

The game was designed around cooldowns initially, so autocasting was never added to the game.

When they went to this more spammy style of play, health concerns arose, and they specifically said doing num-lock is fine.

So no reason to do macro's, just num-lock the skills you want to cast for you.
05/16/2019 08:37 AMPosted by MissCheetah
If they wanted auto cast in game, they would have put it in game.

There is some autocast in the game. We use it all the time for attack skills: press a key, keep it pressed, and the skill is autocast until the key is released. And it works exactly the same for CD skills: just keep the key pressed and the skill will be cast as soon as it comes out of CD (but you'll have to endure your character non-stop "I can't do that yet" lines in the mean time).
This is why the numlock trick works in the first place: you could duct-tape the key or leave a weight on it to achieve the exact same result. No third party program needed, it's all hardware.

What the game doesn't have is smart autocast (that would let you autocast on a timer, for skills with a cooldown shorter than their effect).
You really have to wonder why the designers think having to recast what is essentially a passive skill every so often makes the game more enjoyable.
05/16/2019 08:58 AMPosted by Demonmonger

The game was designed around cooldowns initially, so autocasting was never added to the game.

When they went to this more spammy style of play, health concerns arose, and they specifically said doing num-lock is fine.

Which is in fact "auto-cast".

The only real difference is: If you have "force movement" bind to a hotkey instead of mousewheel, you will disable it for the duration of pressing "force movement"-hotkey. (No other hotkey to be on hold while another hotkey is on hold)

A real auto-cast wouldn't be troubleshooting with that.

I for example started D3 with having force movement on [W], and kinda have a hard time to change the muscle memory attached to that.
So everytime I played a spec that hardly encourages numlock'ing a certain skill I had to either switch my force movement hotkey for that spec or to press repeatedly force movement instead of holding the hotkey.

It's not a challenge, it's not a difficulty, it's just a nuisance at max.

Asking for an auto-cast function for atleast some abilities (Devour [Nec], Explosive Blast [Wiz] come to mind) isn't asking for something that isn't already given by the game. It's just a better working function of an already implemented feature.
05/16/2019 08:58 AMPosted by Demonmonger

The problem with num-lock is that it's not nearly fast enough to auto cast the explosion skill when you are playing Archon, and spaming that really hurts.