Once upon a time

General Discussion
Back in 2012, the campaign meant something in endgame as a means of measuring progression. It wasn't about doing the same GRs over and over again with beefier mobs, it was about completing each unique mission. Sure, it was overtuned starting at Act II before 1.3, but there was the goal of killing Diablo that kept you going. It might just be me, but I liked it when the goal was to kill Diablo on Inferno instead of getting to GR level 150. We NEED something like this in Diablo IV, but no RMAH please.
That was back when Diablo was the main villain. Now Orek the old Nehalem is the main villain, title should have be "Orek" instead....
Because Grifts didn't exist in 2012, honey. Neither did Adventure mode as a whole.
Back then campaign meant something because there were no other options. No other forms of endgame.

And that's the actual issue. What we actually need is more options for endgame than just endless GRs. The campaign however is a rather poor option for that.
06/14/2019 12:33 AMPosted by Zman
Back in 2012, the campaign meant something in endgame as a means of measuring progression. It wasn't about doing the same GRs over and over again with beefier mobs, it was about completing each unique mission. Sure, it was overtuned starting at Act II before 1.3, but there was the goal of killing Diablo that kept you going. It might just be me, but I liked it when the goal was to kill Diablo on Inferno instead of getting to GR level 150. We NEED something like this in Diablo IV, but no RMAH please.

I’m sorry, but even when Inferno was very difficult the goal was only to kill Diablo once. After that there were much more efficient ways of gear farming.

After they changed the difficulties, nobody farmed bosses. There was no reason to. Bosses didn’t drop anything unique and they didn’t have better drop rates than anything else.

Even after they attached a guaranteed legendary to campaign completion it was still more efficient to farm Fields/Crypt, Keep Depths, etc.

There was never this emphasis on just completing campaign mode over and over as the endgame.

Sorry.
06/14/2019 01:33 AMPosted by Kirottu
Back then campaign meant something because there were no other options. No other forms of endgame.

And that's the actual issue. What we actually need is more options for endgame than just endless GRs. The campaign however is a rather poor option for that.

It doesn't have to be the only option, but just an option for endgame.

06/14/2019 05:49 AMPosted by Orrion
06/14/2019 12:33 AMPosted by Zman

I’m sorry, but even when Inferno was very difficult the goal was only to kill Diablo once. After that there were much more efficient ways of gear farming.

After they changed the difficulties, nobody farmed bosses. There was no reason to. Bosses didn’t drop anything unique and they didn’t have better drop rates than anything else.

Even after they attached a guaranteed legendary to campaign completion it was still more efficient to farm Fields/Crypt, Keep Depths, etc.

There was never this emphasis on just completing campaign mode over and over as the endgame.

Sorry.

The thing was it was very difficult to do it so it was rewarding to kill him prenerf even if it was only once.
OP, you can experience some of it today. I'm not gonna tell you how, you should be smart enough to know where to look for it (hint: its not in your bnet)
With so much drama in the LBC, it's kinda hard bein' Snoop D-O-double-G...so I, some how, some way, keep comin' up with...
A real loot hunt is actually what is needed.
06/14/2019 05:55 AMPosted by Zman
06/14/2019 01:33 AMPosted by Kirottu

06/14/2019 05:49 AMPosted by Orrion

Sorry.

The thing was it was very difficult to do it so it was rewarding to kill him prenerf even if it was only once.

ARPGs simply aren’t balanced around just killing the last boss and then being done with the game.
06/15/2019 06:23 AMPosted by Orrion
06/14/2019 05:55 AMPosted by Zman

ARPGs simply aren’t balanced around just killing the last boss and then being done with the game.

And we can have seasons for that just like with the current game.