Blizzard Mistakes

Games & Technology
You know what I’d pay up to about $100 for? A StarCraft FPS game, especially if you could play protoss and zerg characters. You know what I wouldn’t and won’t pay a penny for? A mobile game. Apparently a StarCraft shooter is cancelled and Diablo Immotal is not? Why?
Starcraft FPS game was inhouse and ate their own resources, while Diablo Immortal was mostly developed by another company. Also everyone has phones, loves to spend an insane amount of money on gambling mechanics for a mobile title and there will never be a law regulating it...

I guess something like that was the thought process.

Currently they struggle getting products finished. Investors are unhappy, fans keep complaining and sacking employes also hurt the overall motivation. So it is not the question what could be the best game, rather what can be finished to solve at least some of the problems.
Because Justin Bieber and Transformers are amazingly profitable simplified shallow glossy crap that the mainstream kiddies will absolutely consume and enjoy, and that is the direction Blizzard has taken D3 at breakneck speed faster and harder and more ignorantly than any other game it has released up to this point.

The mass consumption and defense of a grossly oversimplified D3 means a more over simplified version of it arrives on phones next....

Not sure about a Starcraft FPS, they could absolutely waffle it all the same,
but a silly mobile game?

you bring it up here because you love Diablo and want it to be amazing and deep. so to all the rest of the critics complaining about boring items who are told to shut up and leave....

The devs could not care less. they want the money of children. thats all. regurgitated items in the mail? yea they don't care because Money.
Blizzard is going to make a killing with mobile gaming for kids in China. Hopefully they will remember the PC base who support them from day one. If not, shame on them. They are no longer the king of the hill, maybe they can return to the glory days. Only time will tell. I do not care about a Starcraft FPS, if they are shifting more people to work on D4 great!
06/18/2019 06:35 PMPosted by Avalon
Blizzard is going to make a killing with mobile gaming for kids in China. Hopefully they will remember the PC base who support them from day one. If not, shame on them. They are no longer the king of the hill, maybe they can return to the glory days. Only time will tell. I do not care about a Starcraft FPS, if they are shifting more people to work on D4 great!

The CEO of blizzard made a statement on this.

"And frankly, there will be other steps, because we believe in mobile as a platform for gaming in the future. That doesn't mean that we don't mean that we don't believe in console gaming as a platform for the future. We certainly do. That doesn't mean that we don't believe in PC gaming as a platform for the future. We certainly do." Look at the full interview on forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/05/14/blizzard-entertainment-ceo-interview-on-priorities-wow-classic-and-diablo/#6dd8f2625bf3

06/18/2019 04:25 PMPosted by Wolf
You know what I’d pay up to about $100 for? A StarCraft FPS game, especially if you could play protoss and zerg characters. You know what I wouldn’t and won’t pay a penny for? A mobile game. Apparently a StarCraft shooter is cancelled and Diablo Immotal is not? Why?

Why don't you stop !@#$%ing and moaning and give some actual constructive criticism? No one can take you seriously, nor will every accept your judgement if you are a jerk about it.
"And frankly, there will be other steps, because we believe in mobile as a platform for gaming in the future. That doesn't mean that we don't mean that we don't believe in console gaming as a platform for the future. We certainly do. That doesn't mean that we don't believe in PC gaming as a platform for the future. We certainly do." Look at the full interview on forbes.

Of course he would say that. The motivations behind that shift should be pretty damn evident, however.

If you're in the know about gaming, you'll understand why we've seen heavy handed monetization spreading across full price triple A releases. You'd as well probably be aware about how long time gamers are constantly pushing back against this greed-driven BS, yet these companies insist in perpetuating the normalization of it. Mobile never had that problem, because it's a platform quite literally structured around heavy-handed monetization. That's why everyone and their mom wants their own mobile cash grabs, and Blizzard is no different.

Hardware-wise, I have no problems with the platform. It's the shamelessly exploitative nature of it's very backbone at a financial level what concerns me. Blizzard already had a good sip at that crap, and they're now drunk on it. It's why positions like Wyatt Cheng thinking "mobile shouldn't be a dirty word" are so deeply insulting. It fails to acknowledge, let alone understand why core gamers hate that stupid platform. It's quite literally poisoning all gaming these days by spreading it's rot across many of our most beloved franchises. This is precisely why A potential Diablo 4 isn't exciting to me, but rather scary. As a long time fan of the IP, it sucks to think what the greedy suits will attempt to bolt as a business model for that thing, because to these people, nothing is sacred if there's profit to be made.

The fact Brack has the nerve to compare the PC/mobile divide with the Xbox/PS situation serves to demonstrates how blatantly disingenuous this man can be, for the aforementioned reasons. Remember, this is Mr. "you think you want this, but you don't" we're talking about here. If he actually thinks he can get away with such a tone-deaf and utterly ridiculous comparison, he's sorely mistaken. It isn't a matter of pride. I'd love to see all games exist wherever they can. When you start bringing the worst aspects of a platform into the rest, however, then I start having a big problem with it. It's a matter of their current obsession with mobile over-monetization being crystal clear, no matter how much he tries to weasel around that fact.

It's frustrating to be so leery about this, but Blizzard hasn't given us many reasons not to be with the way they've been handling their games lately. WoW? They make up metric ton of crap to sell in their cash shop. Overwatch? Very little content of substance, but that skin factory keeps rollin'. Hearthstone? Well it's always been a P2W cashgrab, so that didn't really change and was always that way. Even D3 didn't escape this nonsense back when the Auction House was a thing, and it took a titanic effort to salvage the game.

Words are cheap. Only actions will tell whether these concerns are funded or not. For the time being, however, Blizzard hasn't really earned my trust. Remember this is the company who thought it was a brilliant idea to set a stupid mobile game of a beloved PC gaming franchise as the main highlight at a convention where their most hardcore fans attended, in many cases after paying hundreds of dollars. Let that sink in, and then come back to tell us with a straight face Brack is to be trusted.
06/18/2019 04:25 PMPosted by Wolf
You know what I wouldn’t and won’t pay a penny for? A mobile game.

Lucky for you it's F2P.
06/18/2019 10:52 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

Of course he would say that. The motivations behind that shift should be pretty damn evident, however.

Your response is one of the most well written and thoughtful explanations of Blizzard's poor decisions and the reason all gamers would be wise to be worried about it that I have seen on here or anywhere else. Bravo!
Warframe is wildly successful where Blizzard's Starcraft FPS would have been successful. While I like Warframe, I would have liked the Starcraft FPS more!
Never liked shooters. Don't see any fun in them. Of course, that's Blizzard's cue to restart the game.

The original developers of Diablo tried to make a shooter version of Diablo. Didn't go well.
Blizzard's biggest mistake is they listen %90 of its community, which is actualy shhit, too much.

They screwed up D3 Vanilla by listening all the blizzard crybabies.

Hope they dont do it in D4.
06/26/2019 12:50 AMPosted by MechaTengu
Blizzard's biggest mistake is they listen %90 of its community, which is actualy shhit, too much.

They screwed up D3 Vanilla by listening all the blizzard crybabies.

Hope they dont do it in D4.

That's not even slightly true. All Diablo 1 & 2 fans were calling for something else entirely, something more true to the style and aesthetic of the first two games. But Blizzard created this colourful family friendly Diablo 3. Same with StarCraft 2. You clearly don't know anything about the community of 10 to 15 years ago kiddo.