How to survive on high GRs?

Crusader
Hello there!

I've currently pushed GR 115 with my LoN Blessed Shield build (1350p) and that's about it. I can't get any higher. Now I'm trying hard to push 121, and although my damage is ok, im dead whenever any mob sneezes in my general direction (tried lower ones and the results are pretty much the same). To make things more discouraging, I took a quick look at the leaderboards and saw a guy with 100 less paragons than me with pretty much same/worse gear, who did 121 with a pretty good time.

Tried a lot of different approaches, like changing skills/gear/gems, playing around mechanics, but nothing seems to work out for me... therefore I'm wondering how they do that?

Does it all come down to this sweet, sweet "perfect rift" with open maps, zombies and damage pylons with 4-5 elites roaming around each?
EDIT: Oh, yeah. That's what I needed. Went for 121 again, got 2x open rifts. First one was pretty meh when it comes to the mobs, got a lot of speargoats, but the next one had zombies - swee, sweet rift, indeed. Had 3:30 left when RG spawned - unfortunately, not the one I wanted + I had no pylons nearby. 1/4 hp left, when time run out.

I feel like rift pushing should be really redesinged (ofc it won't gonna happen, since it's pretty much dead game at this point, but still). Redesigned in a way that it's less rng dependent and more skill based. I mean, I think we already have enough rng tied to gearing, don't you think?
The only way for rift fishing to end (Which is what you do at the highest GRs, open up GRs till you get a good one) is for ALL Grifts to be the same, which would defeat the purpose.

So just accept that you'll get 1 good rift outta maybe 20 or so when trying for the max. Might be a good time to swap over to speeds, get another 2-3k paragon or so and augment everything.
Yeah, the thing is that there are too many variables to actually get a good (god) rift: you need to have a good layout, good mobs, good pylons (preferably with a few elites around them) and a good boss.

I finally did a 121 today, after like 200 keys burned. In theory, I should be feeling somewhat powerful, landing just outside top10, but realisticly speaking I feel just lucky. What's the point of the leaderboards, when you cheese the 121 and later can't complete lower rifts, just because you were unlucky. Shouldn't this be... I dunno, more skill based, rather than RNG based?

I get it: it is how it is, that's just my loose thoughts on the topic.
Cheers! ^^
06/17/2019 02:10 PMPosted by Linkee
Yeah, the thing is that there are too many variables to actually get a good (god) rift: you need to have a good layout, good mobs, good pylons (preferably with a few elites around them) and a good boss.

I finally did a 121 today, after like 200 keys burned. In theory, I should be feeling somewhat powerful, landing just outside top10, but realisticly speaking I feel just lucky. What's the point of the leaderboards, when you cheese the 121 and later can't complete lower rifts, just because you were unlucky. Shouldn't this be... I dunno, more skill based, rather than RNG based?

I get it: it is how it is, that's just my loose thoughts on the topic.
Cheers! ^^

I hate to hit this key, but.. its gonna be very hard to compete with botters..
06/21/2019 07:47 AMPosted by Blaquicat
I hate to hit this key, but.. its gonna be very hard to compete with botters..

You never "have" to compete with botters.
Learn to compete with yourself.