D4 Fool me once, twice shy :D

General Discussion
06/10/2019 10:11 PMPosted by dwainbro
Blizzard has been a disappointment in every way for way way too long. You think that will change all of a sudden?

I would argue, that they were disappointment since 2008 and WotLK (although WotLK was very much playable and infinitely better than everything that followed).
However, I didn't say I think things will change. I said, that I hope, that they change.
06/11/2019 10:01 AMPosted by Agmo
I would guess we will get something new from DIablo that will somehow be able to generate money after the initial release

I don't know what kind of monetization the players would be willing to accept. I mean, nowadays you have Path of Exile being free to play.

The only thing I can see working is a system similar to that of Warframe... and even that is something, that I'm not sure players will accept. It kinda makes sense for Warframe, because it's free to play, but eventual D4 will be $40 or $60 for sure.
06/11/2019 10:28 AMPosted by Brogoth
Did everyone forget that ActiBlizzard told their stockholders they had no plans for a major title announcement this year? That was the whole reason they fired over 800 employees. I sincerely doubt there's going to be an announcement. If there is, it's going to be extremely minimal.

What I was thinking was, that after the supposed leak about devs being sent from a cancelled SC FPS project and moved on to other projects, one of those allegedly being D4, perhaps they are trying to squeeze an announcement this year.

My prediction is, that they will, but they wont be any indications, that they game will end up being good.
Do you honestly expect this same company to deliver on D4 the way you want?

No. I hope, that they do, but I don't expect it. The entire point of the prediction was to say, that I expect they'll show nothing good and of substance.
Have they really earned such loyalty these last few years?

No, they haven't.
Don't trick yourselves into being hyped for Blizzcon or for the future of Diablo.

If be making a prediction is me getting hyped, then I apologize. It wasn't my intention.
My intention was to share a prediction, see what others think about it, and maybe get something interesting as a response.

I didn't imagine I would have to write paragraphs to try and clarify every word I said. I must be speaking Chinese without realizing... I'm sorry.
I stand by my decision to never go to a blizzcon (or blizzard event) again after last years fiasco (i pretty much went to every one prior). After what they showed and did last year to their hardcore PC playerbase and the insult they made, I'll play the games, prob buy them if they are decent but any extra stuff like merch/collector's editions/blizzcon stuff I won't buy anymore. I'll just read about it the day of.
D4 hype died that day.
06/10/2019 01:08 PMPosted by ElobaCarcen
I truly hope I'm wrong, but at this point in time I simply can't see things going any other way. Here are my predictions for BlizzCon 2019:

I am expecting Diablo 4 will be announced this year..

However...

-They will show one or two characters.
-They will show one or two zones.
-They will show one or two scripted events.
-They will show super slow placed combat that will be easy for viewers to follow (that in no way represents how the game is actually played).

-They will Not show any endgame activities.
-They will Not show what kind of itemization they are going for.
-They will Not show... well, anything of substance really...

In other words... they will show as much as they did at the World Wide Invitational in the summer of 2008 when D3 was announced. It will be more or less the same crap like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17FDfU7-ds

The graphics will probably be better (sightly less cartoony, with more photorealistic color palette, I imagine), but I really don't think there will be anything else to get excited about.
The new devs, whomever they may be, will most likely be the same as the D3 devs... arrogant, ignorant about most things related to Diablo, yet at the same time they'll hold the typical deep disdain for Diablo 2...

The shill content creators on youtube and twitch will act all hyped and will completely avoid to mention any similarities with the way D3 was announced and how it turned out.

...fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again!

your substance on D4 itself is very well misplaced..

downvoting.. boooo!
Can anyone just merge pointless threads like these?
I think there should be a "trash corner" section but I believe Blizzard being a public company couldn't do it. Back in the old days of fan forums, such trash sections was meta.
This is what I think.

I dont really mind turn based, and Larian is known for it so there's a good chance thats what they'll go for. But given the choice, I'd rather RTWP. Its true to Baldurs Gate and just fits. And I thought some of the fights in Divinity dragged on at times.

Wait. You guys aren't talking about BG3? The hell?
06/11/2019 11:24 AMPosted by shab6969
your substance on D4 itself is very well misplaced

?!What substance?! What are you even talking about?
I was making a prediction. Time will tell whether it's something of substance or not.
06/11/2019 11:38 AMPosted by naksiloth
I think there should be a "trash corner" section but I believe Blizzard being a public company couldn't do it. Back in the old days of fan forums, such trash sections was meta.

What is that supposed to mean? That my prediction is trash?
06/11/2019 12:29 PMPosted by ElobaCarcen
What is that supposed to mean? That my prediction is trash?

Personally I don't, but let's say forums deserve a trash bin irrelevant of this thread.
Did everyone forget that ActiBlizzard told their stockholders they had no plans for a major title announcement this year? That was the whole reason they fired over 800 employees. I sincerely doubt there's going to be an announcement. If there is, it's going to be extremely minimal.

And even then, let's say it's this grand wonderful cinematic that promises everything we've wanted since they canned D3 before RoS even came out. So what?

Do you honestly expect this same company to deliver on D4 the way you want? Have they really earned such loyalty these last few years? This is the company that has repeatedly, without fail, completely abandoned the Diablo universe and its fans because they didn't find it as easily monetized. THAT is the legacy of modern Blizzard. Don't trick yourselves into being hyped for Blizzcon or for the future of Diablo. Because if it's anything like the last 7 years, it's just going to disappoint you.

Just thought I'd quote this up because this is so true. Keep your hopes and your hype grounded folks. They can cancel a supposed D4 project just as easily as they canceled the Starcraft one.
Hope Blizzard announces they have licensed the IP to a developer that knows how to do the game justice. Honestly wouldn’t give a rip about another Diablo from Blizzard. Heck, D3 still doesn't have all the features that were promised.
I hope they talk about itemization and a new direction for the talent and stat system. That is the heart and soul of the game at the end of the day and the most disappointing area of Diablo 3 IMO. Path-to-exile might not be as flashy but the depth and customization is something Diablo 3 will never be able to achieve.

The other area they should address is the look and feel of the game. Diablo 3 completely changed the art direction. The game went from being dark and scary to cartoon like with bright effects that detracted from experience. If anything Diablo should be Blizzards foray into R rated games designed for older players so they can fully embrace it. There are great games out there where you are on the edge of your seat the whole time and Blizzard needs to tap back into that somehow.

I think they also lost the concept that leveling a character needs to be an enjoyable journey and re-rolling should be encouraged. That means real choices to make and stat points that matter. They don't even need classes really, just a well thought out talent system that lets the player define their play style - we all know the fantasy of a barbarian, paladin, vampire, mage, necromancer, knight etc. Blizzard don't need to put labels on them, just provide the frameworks needed for the player to define their own play-style.

The final area they should address is the terrible story-telling. They treat us like children, over explain everything and crafted the story likes a children's novel.

For me its less about seeing the progress they have made and more about someone getting up there and talking about how they have learned from their mistakes. The game isn't going to launch anytime soon so who really cares about getting a slick game-play trailer?
Its so sad that D3 was such a misfire and the playerbase's opinions absolutely were not considered whatsoever when making the game, or big-patching it in the early year or so when patches touch cores.

It's so sad that at any given moment of the year we have to talk about Blizzcon, since that's the-only even remote chance of getting news about this franchise that brevik and his good-friends started years ago.

Would be nice to have brevik and company back, and to not have to 'hope and dream' what blizzard wants, for a blizzcon trailer video.

See, they said all that PR stuff last year about "don't worry, multi plats multi peeps yo". and it was incredibly insulting to hear that PR instead of honesty.

So...what do I expect?
PR.
PR all over the place.

And, yea a demo of D4 someyear will come out...followed by more PR.

Problem is, our opinion NOW matters, before the game is demoable and us gigantic fans are left to be beta testers (ewww!) and not co-developers from the D2 era.

Yea, I mentioned D2, hope that's ok on the D3 forums.

Point is, beta-tester means "you are not touching this core we molded for this beta". And that sucks.

Why?
Politely, D3.
Look at it.
It was totally made not-right, pre-beta, and the people at mass who love the game were beta-tester status only.

Solution?
Omg its so easy too, and NOT revealing my gosh.
Ask us, "hey, what do you like, don't like, about D123 and why?"
Read this, in detail, no need to mention D4 or 'spoil' anything.
We want our opinons mattering during the window that they matter.
This is not beta-tester, it's pre-beta.

Respect is asking your playerbase and listening, not....'here's PR talk...here's a demo this year...glhf we made it take it or leave it".
06/10/2019 04:31 PMPosted by Orrion
Why do people keep posting about Blizzcon? It's JUNE.. and there's been no indication of a big announcement. The opposite, in fact, as they've stated there will be no new game releases for 2019.

I don't know if you are aware, because you don't seem to be, an announcement and a release are two different things.
06/12/2019 05:43 AMPosted by GoauldOfWar
an announcement and a release are two different things.

They may as well say such thing to cease down hype. Remember how they tried to tell the fact that there would be no Diablo 4 at Blizzcon'18, please. Now even that blogpost is removed because it was so cryptic and didn't even serve its purpose.
Game companies do such undertoned announces to ease down something on occassion. Especially if news aren't shaping the way they wanted. If you can read between lines, it's not THAT hard to get off from hype trains. If you want to be glued however no one gonna tell you to stand up.
06/11/2019 06:38 PMPosted by Thorodan
Its so sad that D3 was such a misfire and the playerbase's opinions absolutely were not considered whatsoever when making the game, or big-patching it in the early year or so when patches touch cores.

It's so sad that at any given moment of the year we have to talk about Blizzcon, since that's the-only even remote chance of getting news about this franchise that brevik and his good-friends started years ago.

Would be nice to have brevik and company back, and to not have to 'hope and dream' what blizzard wants, for a blizzcon trailer video.

See, they said all that PR stuff last year about "don't worry, multi plats multi peeps yo". and it was incredibly insulting to hear that PR instead of honesty.

So...what do I expect?
PR.
PR all over the place.

And, yea a demo of D4 someyear will come out...followed by more PR.

Problem is, our opinion NOW matters, before the game is demoable and us gigantic fans are left to be beta testers (ewww!) and not co-developers from the D2 era.

Yea, I mentioned D2, hope that's ok on the D3 forums.

Point is, beta-tester means "you are not touching this core we molded for this beta". And that sucks.

Why?
Politely, D3.
Look at it.
It was totally made not-right, pre-beta, and the people at mass who love the game were beta-tester status only.

Solution?
Omg its so easy too, and NOT revealing my gosh.
Ask us, "hey, what do you like, don't like, about D123 and why?"
Read this, in detail, no need to mention D4 or 'spoil' anything.
We want our opinons mattering during the window that they matter.
This is not beta-tester, it's pre-beta.

Respect is asking your playerbase and listening, not....'here's PR talk...here's a demo this year...glhf we made it take it or leave it".

I don't really feel D3 being a misfire. I can't speak for others but I enjoyed the game. Was is better then 2, yes and no. But the mobile announcement after all the hype buildup leading in and the tone that blizz gave the players during and after was the blow that broke the camel's back to me.
06/11/2019 02:30 PMPosted by Gibs
I hope they talk about itemization and a new direction for the talent and stat system. That is the heart and soul of the game at the end of the day and the most disappointing area of Diablo 3 IMO.

Thanks for showing, that you were one of the few, that understood the sentiment of my post without me having to clarify.
The other area they should address is the look and feel of the game. Diablo 3 completely changed the art direction. The game went from being dark and scary to cartoon like with bright effects that detracted from experience.

On some level, I think they'll do the graphics right for D4.
If anything Diablo should be Blizzards foray into R rated games designed for older players

D3 was rated M for mature. I think that's the ESRB system.
MATURE
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

R stands for restricted. I think that's a system for movies...
Motion Picture Association of America film rating system
Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian. Contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their young children with them.

M is pretty much equal to R.

I don't think the problem lies with ratings. Hell, I believe people would have been willing to tolerate the different art style, if the heart and soul (itemization, stats and whatnot) were handled correctly.
06/12/2019 06:48 AMPosted by Dragonmaster
I don't really feel D3 being a misfire. I can't speak for others but I enjoyed the game. Was is better then 2, yes and no.

When Vanilla D3 sold 14 million copies during the first year (because it sold purely based on D2's reputation, the Blizzard brand), and then RoS sold barely 2.7mil on release, I would say, that the game was a misfire.
It was successful in terms of being a cashgrab, but not when it came to retaining players. The D3 players moved on to games like PoE, Warframe and whatnot..

Was everything terrible about D3? No, there are some nice things about it... unfortunately, they are too few. When core aspects of the game are crap, or are missing, few quality of life improvements can't compensate for that.
06/12/2019 06:25 AMPosted by naksiloth
They may as well say such thing to cease down hype. Remember how they tried to tell the fact that there would be no Diablo 4 at Blizzcon'18, please. Now even that blogpost is removed because it was so cryptic and didn't even serve its purpose.

IMO a big issue was, that the "Future of Diablo" hype video was posted on youtube, but when they did decide to try and reduce the hype, it was merely a blogpost. Clearly not the same level of visibility. I don't think it was removed though, unless you're talking about a different blog post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVaqS_bd-8
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22549433/diablo-at-blizzcon-2018-10-17-2018
06/12/2019 07:05 AMPosted by ElobaCarcen
I don't think it was removed though

Then I totally missed it while skimming through.