Drops

Wizard
Hi,

Playing a (non-seasonal) level 70 character who finished the game at the normal level.

If I start the game over with this character, and increase the difficulty level to hard, or higher, will the quality of the drops I get increase?

Thanks.
The higher the better, real drops of value are found in the torment levels.

Good luck. :)
06/16/2019 06:36 AMPosted by SixSixSix
If I start the game over with this character, and increase the difficulty level to hard, or higher, will the quality of the drops I get increase?

Don't start the game over. Do you mean you are only playing Campaign?

Start playing in Adventure Mode, and increase the difficulty as you are able.

The higher the difficulty, the better the drop rate. Don't go too high though if you can't handle it and it turns in to a real slog. There's a bit of an efficiency trade-off between speed and drop rate. You don't want to be on the lowest difficulty, but you don't necessarily want to be slogging on the highest difficulty either.

Medium speed with medium drop rate usually works out better than very slow speed with highest drop rate.

The exception to this rule is breaking in to Torment I. Certain items (some set pieces and specific legendaries) don't drop on Normal-Master and only start dropping once you get into the Torment difficulties. So generally you should push into Torment I as soon as you can to start getting set drops, even if it's a bit slow compared to Master.

Don't start the game over. Do you mean you are only playing Campaign?

Medium speed with medium drop rate usually works out better than very slow speed with highest drop rate.

[/quote]

Yes, I was just playing campaign, and figured when I got to 70, I'd start the game over with the level 70, but at a higher difficulty, hoping for higher drops.

But, If that only happens in adventure mode, I'll switch and see how that works.

Thanks for the info.

06/16/2019 10:21 AMPosted by SixSixSix
But, If that only happens in adventure mode, I'll switch and see how that works.
It does not only work in adventure mode but the campaign is very limited in that regard. Reason is that certain features (like bounties, (great) rifts or Kanai's Cube) and areas or items (like legendary gems) are not available in campaign mode at all. As such you would miss a lot if you only play campaign mode.

Also - as mentioned - a higher difficulty (except the Torment wall) does not mean that drops are becoming better... the items that drop are the same. You can find godly items on Torment 1 or even on normal difficulty. That's, if they drop on normal at all... but the chance is very slim because the general rate at which legendary items drop is pretty small. As suggested - play on a level that you can do with a little effort and at a reasonable speed.
I would also suggest when you go into adventure mode to try and find some friends/clan. They can help you gear and get you rolling for whatever you you are wanting to play.
I started adventure yesterday, and today got it up to master level. So far, I'm holding my own, although at some points I was faced with large numbers of enemies and ran out of essence (or whatever powers my main spell - Disintegration).

Anyway, I'll continue this today and then tomorrow try Torment.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. It's nice to see a helpful community.

Hi,

Playing a (non-seasonal) level 70 character who finished the game at the normal level.

Thanks.

You have 3 wiz at lvl 70, all under geared, all using disintegrate. Here is a basic Fresh 70 build to start with.
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-5-season-17
I personally like a signature spell, so I often trade familiar for one. I only use it to build up resource of I run out in a big mob. So just pick one you like.
(Edit: I also usually change EB to Hydra, and if I have elemental DMG modifiers on gear, use the Hydra Rune to match.)

With these builds, you should change your skills for others if you pick up legendary supporting pieces. Especially of these pieces have DMG modifiers. Eg, you have a Valkyrie Rebuke, so you might concider trading Explosive Blast to Energy Twister. (just watch your resource usage).

If you get a good elemental % DMG, concider changing the Rune on your DMG dealer to match. Might mean changing a skill as well.
06/17/2019 11:17 AMPosted by storytime42
Hi,

Thanks.

You have 3 wiz at lvl 70, all under geared, all using disintegrate. Here is a basic Fresh 70 build to start with.
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-5-season-17
I personally like a signature spell, so I often trade familiar for one. I only use it to build up resource of I run out in a big mob. So just pick one you like.
(Edit: I also usually change EB to Hydra, and if I have elemental DMG modifiers on gear, use the Hydra Rune to match.)

With these builds, you should change your skills for others if you pick up legendary supporting pieces. Especially of these pieces have DMG modifiers. Eg, you have a Valkyrie Rebuke, so you might concider trading Explosive Blast to Energy Twister. (just watch your resource usage).

If you get a good elemental % DMG, concider changing the Rune on your DMG dealer to match. Might mean changing a skill as well.

Thanks. The reason I'm undergeared is because I only have played the campaign with them (same for all my other 70s).

It wasn't until I came back about a month ago, after a 3-4 year absence, that I realized I need to get into higher difficulty levels to get better gear. I started out by running some Rifts, but after about 6-7 of them I didn't get any gear that was better than what I was wearing. Hence, this post. I'll try torment today and see what happens.

I did look at ice-veins before I started, and saw the lists with recommended gear, etc., for the different types of wizard. I guess for that gear I need to go to torment? The author didn't really go into much detail about that, and so I continued playing campaign until recently.

Thanks for the suggestion.

06/18/2019 09:25 AMPosted by SixSixSix
I did look at ice-veins before I started, and saw the lists with recommended gear, etc., for the different types of wizard. I guess for that gear I need to go to torment? The author didn't really go into much detail about that, and so I continued playing campaign until recently

Keep in mind, the build I sent you should work with only level 70 rare (yellow) gear, which you can craft at the Smith of you don't have.