Is season 17 a "failure"?

General Discussion
idk, this season has kept my attention longer than any past season, trying out and setting up LoN rat has been interesting, if you check most leaderboards (except wiz and barb) are dominated by LoN builds.... so idk what you mean by seeing sets everywhere?

4 man meta, main dps is a LoN wizard.
solo, top ~7 or so clears across all classes.... (125+) i think 6 of the 7 clears are LoN builds, the only one not lon is vyr's wizard.

so i'd say it was pretty successful. Honestly sets are falling behind the LoN builds this season, ironically for sets to compete with LoN season they need the RorG season... haha
This has been the funnest season yet, for me personally anyways. I've matched my highest NS GR with 500 less paragon. I'm not a big GR pusher, but that's still a big deal to me. This season is far from a failure, though it's going to be a bummer to lose this LoN buff when it's over.
06/11/2019 03:49 PMPosted by Keyblade
The problem with this season is that when we go back to having to use the LoN Rings , 90% of these new LoN builds become absolutely garbage and the LoN set itself wont be used again

When LoN was introduced it needed to be made a passive skill not into a set of rings and not with the game where its at theres no going back :(

Agreed - just like with S16 RoRG buff - same GR level much harder NS than S16 even with significantly better gear and paragon...so being able to run with say Unity/SoJ/CoE etc on TOP of the LON bonus makes it crazy.

find it funny that one my Primal drops this season is a LoN ring.
06/12/2019 02:15 AMPosted by slicktrick
Seems they went a bit overboard with each class having that one set w/ the ~70,000% dps bonus... I assume that is only way you progress past the lvl 80 rifts.

Am I missing something here? How can I troll my own self as a Barbarian... humm... let me see think a little... 70 000%... nope, I still don’t get it.
No, no seasons or patches or add on content was a failure.
D3's failure was it's core, which did not involve the player's opinions pre-beta, and we were all used as betabug testers. So insulting, so gross, so assuming we don't know.

Looks like D4 is headed down that same path, demo ready is when it gets teased, demo ready is when the core is already solidified.

Hopefully devs understand d2 n 1 were not "dark" and that is why they are loved. It goes, way, super way, deeper than "being dark that's why". Example, D3's combat is awful. You do not get stunned, chased, crowded, lose life incrementally and 'be almost out of life with no regen". D3 its like...your health is full, quickly regenning auto, or your spike-die.

It's absurdly bad.
D3's combat is totally not "this awesome improvement over D2s". not even close.
06/12/2019 07:47 AMPosted by Monstrous
You have to remember it's much harder to get a full set of Ancients (some builds/classes require more specific legendary items than others) to run the LoN builds than it is to complete a full set.

It is equally difficult to get full ancient pieces for LoN as it is for any other set. The item pool is equally sized, the same goes for the build up phase (save Headrig's gift). Getting 6 pieces of the same set is just as likely as 6 ancient pieces.
06/14/2019 12:46 AMPosted by KiWeN
It is equally difficult to get full ancient pieces for LoN as it is for any other set. The item pool is equally sized, the same goes for the build up phase (save Headrig's gift). Getting 6 pieces of the same set is just as likely as 6 ancient pieces.

If you mean the difficulty in getting LoN ancients is the same as getting ancient set pieces, sure. But I think the point they were making is that if you're using a build with a set, you don't really need everything to be ancient (at least until higher difficulties) and it takes just 6 items (5 with Ring of Grandeur) to get the generally huge damage bonuses that allow tackling those higher GR levels.
You'll still need some specific legendaries to really complete your build, but it's easier to do that when you don't have to worry about potentially losing 750% damage by equipping a non-ancient.

Also, if you happen to get a repeat of a set item, you can just convert it into another piece of the same set, making it significantly easier to target what you need for your build.

This is anecdotal, but I've had every set completed for a few weeks now on my Necromancer (though not using any). I have yet to get every piece I need for my LoN build because I just can't get the last couple of ancients that I need.
Pushing LoN Build usually requiert a bunch of Paras because how squishy they are. For Wizard as an example LoN Star Pact plays with APD cheesing rift with high density and low ranged mob in order to stay alive. And even with that, you still need a tons of paras and a good amount of suitable secondaries to succeed.

This season buff allow you to play LoN Build with 2 additionnal rings especially defensiv rings like Halo of Alryse, Halo of Karini or Unity, allowing you to actually play different build without having to farm 4000 paras and cheese thousands of rifts.
06/11/2019 03:24 PMPosted by DonMartin
LoN for the most part is a great way to transition from fresh 70 to full sets.

Completing a full class set will take you roughly 10 GR's, whereas completing LoN set (which consists of ancient legendary items) will take you A LOT more.
06/14/2019 08:50 AMPosted by Linkee
Completing a full class set will take you roughly 10 GR's, whereas completing LoN set (which consists of ancient legendary items) will take you A LOT more.

That hasn't been my experience. I had a tab full of random ancients I could use for LoN before I had full sets. I'm not talking about complete LoN GR pushing builds. Re-read my post.
I'd say it's a failure because there is still no new Diablo content of any kind. The game is dead.

Diablo 3 has become a mindless spamming of a couple attacks flying through enemies like paper. The drops are so plentiful not even worth picking up anymore.

Hopefully someday we'll get a Diablo 4. There is nothing left of this series... for now.
It took me 2 hours this season to get full ancients, that includes ancient weapon/shield for Blessed shield build and my ancient boots. The fact that you can do this so fast makes the season come to a screeching halt that much faster. Maybe they should reconsider the drop rates. Only thing left to grind is jewel lvls.
You have to remember it's much harder to get a full set of Ancients (some builds/classes require more specific legendary items than others) to run the LoN builds than it is to complete a full set.

I did it in 2hrs, it isn't that hard
06/15/2019 02:16 AMPosted by FatBoy99

I did it in 2hrs, it isn't that hard

Sure if you consider random Ancients that doesn't even support your build in any way then yes but specific items with specific rolls,nope.

My LoN WD currently is at 959 Para and even tho the build does work some items still need to be replaced or with better rolls cause they just don't worth the augmenting.
Especially as a Solo player this is way more time consuming since no gear sharing with the same class,etc.
Lets not talk about crafting Hellfire Amus either,still can't get a decent one with a required Passive after like 200+ crafts or so.

As for the season being a fail,not for me and I also noticed that the 2-3 friends who hop back to the game every 1-2 seasons for a short time seem to be playing more than usual.
It's been good did a crusader used the invokes set to get the pieces for my lon build.

Cleared a 100 solo with it yesterday while not high compared to leader board its my highest clear for a crusader .

Have also had fun mucking around with other classes with random gear
Officially it is the Season of LoN. For me personally it is the Season of I am Not Interested. Will see how S18 is going to be and I might ignore that season as well.