@BossDogg
Thanks for the information.

Somehow I missed the log of this post:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20772067003#post-11
| router.asus.com - 0 | 1617 | 1617 | 0 | 0 | 29 | 0 |
| 10.240.166.117 - 1 | 1613 | 1612 | 4 | 17 | 111 | 9 |
| 67.59.225.48 - 1 | 1606 | 1603 | 4 | 17 | 84 | 5 |
| ool-4353e11c.dyn.optonline.net - 1 | 1602 | 1598 | 5 | 18 | 91 | 39 |
Some data packet lost at hop 2. If it just happened in this hop, it can be explained by a hiccup. However, the data lost continued down to the bottom. It might be a sign of "disconnection".

This IP 10.240.166.117 is a local network address, probably inside your home. May be the modem or some network device. Try power off your router and this device for 10 minutes and power on again. If this device is provided by your ISP, you may also want to contact ISP support for help.
@Maskraider:
Look at the post again. Cablevision/Altice, Cogento, and Blizzard are de-prioritizing ICMP. The values are so similar to the point of being near uniform. Yes the 10.240.x.x IP is a Cablevision IP address.

Post#15:
06/11/2019 04:00 AMPosted by BossDogg
6:08am EST shutdown PC, router, and cable modem
6:14am EST power up cable modem
6:21am EST power up router
Verify internet access via smart phone

The cable modem, router and PC power was recycled about 25 mins ago with my ISP's tech. support on the phone. They aren't seeing any issues on their end or mine.

06/11/2019 12:37 AMPosted by Maskraider
06/10/2019 11:11 PMPosted by BossDogg
Yesterday evening it was only me in D3, my wife watching a movie on Amazon, my son watching netflix,
^^^ this . . . @.@
If you don't get laggy when others don't use internet, then . . .

I should have responded to this yesterday... I don't have an issue with lag when my wife and son are streaming videos. I also don't have lag with videos streaming and 2 VPN connects active. I setup my router to give traffic on the ports that Blizzard games (and launcher) use a higher transmission priority. HTTP/HTTPs and video streaming have a lower transmission priority. VPN traffic is in between the gaming and web/video streaming traffic. I have gigabit Ethernet from my PC direct to the router. I don't game on 5G wifi.

What city, state do you game from? Who is your ISP? What is the internet speed for your account with your ISP?

I'm in New York City. My ISP is Cablevision/Altice. I have 200/35 Down/Up internet speed. The cable modem belongs to them and the router belongs to me.
Can you run, collect and post, WinMTR and trace route data while running rifts/GRs between 7pm and 10pm EST? California is 3 hours behind. You did state that none of your traffic goes through Cogent.

@Gandra:
Take a look at this post:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771816979?page=1#post-10
Follow Maskraider's instructions. Grab the free WinMTR. I suggest running it during prime game time (7pm to 10pm EST) while doing rifts/GRs. Collect the trace route and WinMTR data and post in this thread. Include at the top of your post:
- your city and state
- your ISP's name
- the internet speed associated with your ISP account
@BossDogg
If laggy w/o VPN, but no laggy w/ VPN, then the issue is NOT at client and server ends. It should be somewhere between your home and the server. Only WinMTR log can give some hints.

06/12/2019 10:51 AMPosted by BossDogg
What city, state do you game from? Who is your ISP? What is the internet speed for your account with your ISP?
fyi, I'm not in America, so ISP is irrelevent to you. If I ping NA server, it is ~220. But I guess the launcher connects me to AU server, which has ping ~180. (These numbers are WinMTR values, not in-game ping). My bandwidth is 20Mbps, but D3 uses just a fraction of it.

Recently, I got some disconnections (not just D3). Once was my router/modem; solved by powercycling.
Another two times were my ISP (I ran WinMTR to verify). I guess some glitches, or some operation at ISP but I didn't confirm with ISP because it lasted just for a short period of time.
Usually my ISP provides stable connection.
Also, my cheap router may reboot by itself... ok cheap ... expected. Fortunately, not often :)
Read it again. I do not lag with or with out VPN, web traffic, or streaming video. Game data is prioritized. Also go back and read where I state that the ISPs and Blizzard are de-prioritizing ICMP traffic. If you have to power cycle your router to solve disconnects then you have a router problem. Power cycling only removes the problem temporarily in your case. You are masking the problem.
Game data is prioritized. Also go back and read where I state that the ISPs and Blizzard are de-prioritizing ICMP traffic
I knew that from very beginning. Boubou and I never doubt that. We had said that we don't find anything abnormal from your first log.

I don't know if you had read my post 2 hours ago:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20772067003?page=2#post-21
A problem is at hop 2.

I shared my experience with you in the last reply was trying to tell you that sometime the problem is just temporary. In the latter cases, if I called my ISP, I'm sure I would get a reply "nothing wrong" because the problem was in the "past". Even I ran WinMTR, I didn't see anything wrong too.

The cable modem, router and PC power was recycled about 25 mins ago with my ISP's tech. support on the phone. They aren't seeing any issues on their end or mine.
^ After this, do laggy/dc continue? (I suppose so.) If yes, any new WinMTR log?

Take a log when no laggy. Take another log when laggy. Then we can compare the difference.

So far, in the logs you had given, once reach blizzard (hop 13), there was not much delay to reach the server. De-prioritizing ICMP traffic won't affect this conclusion.

If you suspect that laggy is caused by busy server, then it is out of the scope of networking. I afraid I can't help on this.

But so far, there was one issue spotted as mentioned in this post
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20772067003?page=2#post-21
Hope that it has been solved.
De-prioritizing the ICMP traffic which WinMTR and trace route depend on means that traffic will have a lower transmission priority thus higher millisecond values when looking at the ICMP diagnostic reports. It could also mean multiple network devices within an ISP's network:
- de-prioritize ICMP
- do not respond to ICMP traffic
- pass the ICMP traffic along the chain

This would artificially inflate response times from the device that actually responds to the ICMP traffic.
Streaming is buffer, remember this.

For this theme then Maskraider is all right.
@ BossDogg
Thank you for your response! I obviously should not post in forums when I'm tired...I was reading a variety of these posts, and chose the wrong one (obviously).

I'll just quietly slip away -enters stealth mode-