Bane of the Stricken Question

General Discussion
If i lance 12 corpse per seconds and LoTD last 10 seconds, after 10 seconds does the gem will stack for 120 times on 10 seconds ?
Stricken has an internal Cooldown depending on your attack speed. With every attack, you can add only one stack on one enemy.

If you hit 10 enemies with one attack, only one of them will get another stack for stricken, not all. Stricken is a pure single-target gem, and not very useful on large packs.
That's the tricky bit about Stricken, in most cases it's really beneficial against rift guardians at high GR levels. It gives one stack on one target in a single attack and stacks are calculated for each target individually.

If your targets die fast anyway, the Stricken has almost no benefit.
06/24/2019 06:32 AMPosted by Hebalon
Stricken has an internal Cooldown depending on your attack speed. With every attack, you can add only one stack on one enemy.

Yeah considering it's the rift guardian. Does it will stack 120 times ?
06/24/2019 06:58 AMPosted by PardalBR

I don't know the exact mechanics in that case (possible breakpoints and/or some odd special cases), but I would guess that you get ~10 stacks after 10 seconds with 1 APS (attacks per second), and ~20 stacks after 10 seconds with 2 APS.

But clearly not 120, that would be completely out of balance.
06/24/2019 06:32 AMPosted by Hebalon

I've been asking the same question for a while in game and on the forums. I couldn't get a straight answer since it was a complex matter. To this day I'm still confused of how it works even though people have said it at times it doesn't seem that way in game. The problem of the matter worsen due to other things that can make the situation different. I've use it a lot even with a high rank number past 40s it does well for me of what I want it too. I can take down groups with it even though others have said it can't be done. I've found by picking crud and doing a thorn build I'm able to bring down small groups of foes before they die to my all out thorn attacks.
I vaguely recall seeing it explained as follows...

APS = Attacks Per Second
ICD = Internal Cool Down

1 / Sheet APS = ICD

1 / 2.0 Sheet APS = 0.5 second ICD
1 / 3.0 Sheet APS = 0.33 second ICD
1 / 4.0 Sheet APS = 0.25 second ICD
1 / 5.0 Sheet APS = 0.2 second ICD

So, the number of times you can proc your Bane of the Stricken in 10 seconds is determined by your sheet APS. Let's say your sheet APS is 2.5, then the ICD of Stricken would be 1 / 2.5 = 0.4 second ICD. In ten seconds, you would gain 10 / 0.4 = 25 stacks. This is on the assumption that it's a single target boss, so that all the hits land on the boss, not on any adds.
06/24/2019 07:11 AMPosted by Wise

I've been asking the same question for a while in game and on the forums. I couldn't get a straight answer since it was a complex matter. To this day I'm still confused of how it works even though people have said it at times it doesn't seem that way in game. The problem of the matter worsen due to other things that can make the situation different. I've use it a lot even with a high rank number past 40s it does well for me of what I want it too. I can take down groups with it even though others have said it can't be done. I've found by picking crud and doing a thorn build I'm able to bring down small groups of foes before they die to my all out thorn attacks.

Stricken isn’t doing much for you in a group fight because only 1 stack of it will exist at a time. Then when that mob dies, it’ll start a new stack on the next mob you hit when the internal CD is over.

At least, that’s been my understanding of it, plus what Meteor said above.
For corpse lance RGK you want to attack the boss with Scythe for like 30 seconds before popping your Cooldown and Lancing him down.
Answer to you question: No you are not getting 120 stricken stacks

A really easy practical way to check how fast something is stacking stricken
- equip gogok gem
- attack with different skills you want to check
- look how fast you are gaining gogok stacks with the different skills

gogok works roughly the same as stricken so...
- the faster a skill is stacking gogok = the faster it will also stack stricken

by doing this you can see that Grim Scythe is the best skill to stack stricken with
04/13/2018 08:16 AMPosted by S4v4G3
Stricken:

Stacks are additive with each other, but summed up turn into multiplier.

Example:

Stricken level 120, 2% Increase per hit

5 hits = (0.02+0.02+0.02+0.02+0.02) = 0.1 = your Damage coming from ANY source of yours at this point will gain 10% separate multiplier (so 1.1x to all Damage) to the enemy that has these Stacks on. Let’s say you are running a build that needs 5 hits of generator to fill your resource, and can deal 5 hits with that resource till it will disappear. Let’s also assume that both of those attacks (generator and spender) have same attack speed measured in frames, be it 58 frames (stricken works of ICD which stands for Internal Cooldown, this mechanics is responsive for amount of stacks you can do per second, it is 0.9 x FPA which stands for Frames Per Animation). Because D3 by default works of 60 frames per second, if your skill takes 58 frames to perform an Attack, you will do one attack per second. If your skill needs 29 frames, it will be 2 attacks per second, for 15 frames, it will be 4 per second and so on. You shortening skill animation length via brakepoints that you reach with attack speed.

So, to get back on track, in above example, you will deal 5 hits of generator in 5 seconds (so it is 5x0.02) and than follow with your primary damage dealer (heavy hitting resource spender) for another 5 attacks. You will get (5x0.02) + (5x0.02) within these 10 seconds of fight. This means that your 11th hit (generator, since you just ran out of resource) will deal damage increased by (10x0.02) -> 0.2 -> 1.2 separate multiplier. You did your 5 hits filling up the resource, that makes is 15 hits total, your first (16’th overall) hit of spender will deal (15x0.02=0.3=1.3 multi), your second hit with the spender will deal (16x0.02=0.32=1.32 multi) Damage, and so on, so your 21st hit (generator again) will deal damage increased by ->(20x0.02 = 0.4) 1.4 separate multiplier.

Important things to know:

- stricken stacks only on ONE enemy with EACH attack you make. If your skill has any AoE (area of effect) to it, you will not be able to “chose” the target on which you will stack Stricken, therefore you will be “diluting” your stacks between enemies affected by your attack. There is this theory of “stricken stacks on first enemy hit” but from my own experience it doesn’t work. This is one of the reasons why when we play RGK in group, we want a single target RG, because adds are not only diluting our primary Damage (in case of Pestilence or DH back in a days for example) but also because instead of getting guaranteed 20 stacks of Stricken we would get 4 or 5 for example.

- stricken works off your actual attack speed, not your sheet attack speed. What this means is, that for example if you are running HoTA barb, and you are at 2.2 sheet Attack Speed, due to legendary affix on Bracers of the first man (increases Attack speed of HoTA by 50%, multiplicative) your actual attack speed is 3.3 (2.2x1.5) and this is the value from which your Stricken will work. Keep in mind that attack speed is not direct factor in Stricken stacking, it is only a “medium”. Stricken works of 0.9 x FPA ICD, so your attack speed suppose to bring you over to higher brakepoint, at which your animation will take less frames. In other words, if your animation takes 15 frames, Stricken works of 0.9x15 ICD, if you stall enough of attack speed, you can reach higher brakepoint, shortening duration of your attack to 14 frames (so 0.9x14 ICD) than 13 (0.9x13) and so on.

- secondary affix of Stricken includes all commonly known “act bosses” and all rift guardians

- stricken stacks don’t disappear in the event of your death, and they don’t disappear if you will leave location (in GR’s). This means that if you happen to get a good pylon at the exit of tile 3, and you ventured into tile 4 for remaining 5% for RG spawn, you can spawn RG on tile 4, stack on him for desired time, go to tile 3, grab pylon and come back, your stacks will still be there :)

- stricken is the only gem we have that scales with the content (Pain enhancer to the extend does it too). Reason for it is, that regardless of your stricken level, it will provide more damage the longer you have to sit on target. Wether you will need 2 minutes for RG or 3 minutes, Trapped will give you same constant multiplier thru this time, while Stricken will keep increasing your damage every second you are in the fight and attacking, therefore higher the difficulty you face, more damage you will deal thanks to that gem.

If you need any further explanation, just ask here. Good luck.

On top of that, Corpse lance is a different thing, and amount of corpses is not equivalent to amount of stacks, you are getting about 1 stack a second during LoTD, just like most channeling skills. I had this discussed and calculated somewhere on Necro forums long time ago, cannot find it atm.
06/24/2019 08:39 AMPosted by Meteorblade
I vaguely recall seeing it explained as follows...

APS = Attacks Per Second
ICD = Internal Cool Down

1 / Sheet APS = ICD

1 / 2.0 Sheet APS = 0.5 second ICD
1 / 3.0 Sheet APS = 0.33 second ICD
1 / 4.0 Sheet APS = 0.25 second ICD
1 / 5.0 Sheet APS = 0.2 second ICD

So, the number of times you can proc your Bane of the Stricken in 10 seconds is determined by your sheet APS. Let's say your sheet APS is 2.5, then the ICD of Stricken would be 1 / 2.5 = 0.4 second ICD. In ten seconds, you would gain 10 / 0.4 = 25 stacks. This is on the assumption that it's a single target boss, so that all the hits land on the boss, not on any adds.

It was like that before they fixed few snapshots and Stricken ignoring multiplicative AS. ICD is based on FPA not APS ever since they did, so you need to know your skill’s animation length and/or brakepoints to be able to calculate amount of stacks. APS now is only for you to reach brakepoints and stacks have very little to do with it.
06/24/2019 07:09 AMPosted by Hebalon

I don't know the exact mechanics in that case (possible breakpoints and/or some odd special cases), but I would guess that you get ~10 stacks after 10 seconds with 1 APS (attacks per second), and ~20 stacks after 10 seconds with 2 APS.

But clearly not 120, that would be completely out of balance.

On the Land of the Deads you can use freely the corpse lance skill. It hit 12 corpse attack per second when you have 2 or more aps. I want to know if them stack. These other stuff i already knew.
06/24/2019 03:24 PMPosted by PardalBR
On the Land of the Deads you can use freely the corpse lance skill. It hit 12 corpse attack per second when you have 2 or more aps. I want to know if them stack. These other stuff i already knew.

? did you not look at the previous replies telling you that NO it does not stack like that?

very simply put
- 10 seconds of LoD @ 12 corpses per second = about 10 stricken stacks.
Might be a silly suggestion, but if stricken pops up a buff icon like most other stacking gems do, just start beating on the RG and watch the icon to see where it tops out. I know... too simple to be possible.
06/24/2019 11:50 PMPosted by Traveler
Might be a silly suggestion, but if stricken pops up a buff icon like most other stacking gems do, just start beating on the RG and watch the icon to see where it tops out. I know... too simple to be possible.

It would be really nice if there was an icon.
There are multiple gems that have an icon showing how many stacks you have, why not stricken?
06/25/2019 04:49 AMPosted by Caladon
There are multiple gems that have an icon showing how many stacks you have, why not stricken?

Because the number of stacks are specific to each enemy, e.g. you could have 10 stacks on one enemy and 5 stacks on another. It acts like a stacking debuff on each mob that makes it take more damage per stack, not a generic buff on the hero.
06/25/2019 04:49 AMPosted by Caladon

It would be really nice if there was an icon.

Because Stricken stacks are calculated for each target indivually. How would you display stacks for each individual target? One target might have one stack, another target five, third has two stacks, etc.

Edit:

Again slow posting...