Original Diablo

General Discussion
Thanks to the help of people on this forum I was able to decide which version of Diablo 1 to start with. I appreciate that.

I have one other question and then would like some suggestions for a VERY active D1 forum to move to so I am not off topic here...

How do I grind in D1? The next level of the cathedral is too difficult right now but I have killed everything up to this point and nothing re spawns. As we all know nothing to kill means no XP means I can't level up which means I'm going to have a bad time.

What am I missing here?
You exit the game and restart it.
06/23/2019 02:42 PMPosted by Orrion

Doesn't work. Even the corpses are still there that I killed earlier. This is the 1996 version btw.
06/23/2019 03:11 PMPosted by Hollow
06/23/2019 02:42 PMPosted by Orrion

Doesn't work. Even the corpses are still there that I killed earlier. This is the 1996 version btw.

Yeah, that's how the 1996 version worked. You exited the game, clicked "New Game," and then everything was reset.
Hi!

If you are in single player, after choosing your character choose "New game" instead of "Load game".

Good luck!

Nick
Thanks guys. It works. Sorry I misunderstood.
Remember: Diablo has no Stash. Players store items, including Gold, on the ground. Save your game often and before you start a New Game, make sure you pick up everything you want to keep or you'll lose it.

In Multi Player, if you get disconnected, hopefully at least one of your teammates will still be in-game for you to rejoin.

Good hunting! ( ^_^)o自
Hollow, look up "Tchernobog's D 1 mod" and "Belzebub's Diablo 1 HD mods" You might find those interesting if you like vanilla D 1 :) I have vanilla on a cd, but those two mods take it to a higher level...
06/23/2019 05:39 PMPosted by PDMangler
Hollow, look up "Tchernobog's D 1 mod" and "Belzebub's Diablo 1 HD mods" You might find those interesting if you like vanilla D 1 :) I have vanilla on a cd, but those two mods take it to a higher level...

I haven't tested, but do those mods work with the GoG version?
06/23/2019 08:01 PMPosted by DTMAce
I haven't tested, but do those mods work with the GoG version?
From Hastur, GOG.com Team: https://tinyurl.com/yxbs3mbe

And from the post right after that one:
There's also a multiplayer version called Tchernobog available from the same place.

Features and Installation: https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/features

For information on Tchernobog click the "Multiplayer" button on the right side panel.
06/23/2019 01:56 PMPosted by Hollow
Thanks to the help of people on this forum I was able to decide which version of Diablo 1 to start with. I appreciate that.

I have one other question and then would like some suggestions for a VERY active D1 forum to move to so I am not off topic here...

How do I grind in D1? The next level of the cathedral is too difficult right now but I have killed everything up to this point and nothing re spawns. As we all know nothing to kill means no XP means I can't level up which means I'm going to have a bad time.

What am I missing here?

I'm glad you ask! I'm a long time lover and player of Diablo 1. The game is difficult to begin with due to the idea of the challenge for hardcore players, which is no different from rest of the series. 1996 was that type of game which is a common thing to do for hardcore players. Hardcore player define as a person who likes to take a challenge. Also, during the era of the 90s which is also back to aarti games there was a problem of many certain things due to technology of the time. That's why now days but not all game companies will ease the difficulty of the challenge to be more fitting for casual players.

How to grind Diablo 1 first I will say certain information you're receiving are 100% false that has nothing to do with the grind. To grind you kill monsters and counter them. It will take a slow pace but it will get faster then slow to repeat. Certain monsters type will make it hard to grind like the zombies where a sword become less effective unlike a blunt weapon. This is true for the beast a blunt weapon will has weaken effect. Knowing what to counter while testing can make it easy for you to level.

Leveling to grind: When grinding the player will envently get to clear levels fast enough to the point they one hit kill everything when that happens it means a player needs to advance to the next levels. The common mistake that most players do is clearing the area and face a boss. Diablo 1 boss are not meant to be face at a early leveling stage of the game. It's design to face them at a later point and each boss has a certain range of level to do huge damage. If you come to the point where you can't advance, the damage keeps being a problem, you keep being corner, dying too much, and etc then you can do few things.

Few things: You can restart the game but it will depends on the mode you pick. Single player you will not keep your stuff if you restart it to a fresh new game. The only way to get back is to load the saving point. Multiplayer mode will save your progress if you were to do a new game to keep grinding for exp and loot. You will not get your stuff in difficulty modes like nightmare and hell where in there you lose 2x to 3x much of loot in your inventory. This includes what you wear.

All in all, restarting the game to further the progress for exp and loot is a good strategy to have. It will reduce the stress and let players grind more effective. Need more you can visit diablo wiki fna page where more info can be given.
06/24/2019 02:22 AMPosted by Wise
Single player you will not keep your stuff if you restart it to a fresh new game. The only way to get back is to load the saving point.
That is not true for D1.

In D1, if you start a New Game you will keep EVERYTHING that is in your Inventory and equipped on your Character. You will also keep your Character Levels and current Attribute Points. The only things that change are, the Maps and Quests respawn, so you can do them over and over again.

The only things you do not keep when you start a New Game are items and Gold you have to leave on the ground.

Note: There is a point where you gain enough Character Levels that you receive little or no XP from killing monsters. That's when it's time to move on to the next Level.

When you Load Game, you start where you last saved the game. Nothing changes. All items on the ground are still there. All monsters killed are still dead. And all Maps (Levels) cleared are still cleared.

You will not get your stuff in difficulty modes like nightmare and hell where in there you lose 2x to 3x much of loot in your inventory. This includes what you wear.
Also not true. Again, the only things you lose is what you leave on the ground.

If you die in Multi Player your gear drops on the ground where you were killed. Hopefully, if you're playing Multi Player, you have teammates to kill the monsters in the immediate area. A Resurrect Spell or Scroll can revive your Character. Then, you can pick up your gear and re-equip it. (I think you lose some XP and Gold for dying. I don't really remember).
06/24/2019 05:45 AMPosted by Perusoe
Single player you will not keep your stuff if you restart it to a fresh new game. The only way to get back is to load the saving point.
That is not true for D1.

In D1, if you start a New Game you will keep EVERYTHING that is in your Inventory and equipped on your Character. You will also keep your Character Levels and current Attribute Points. The only things that change are, the Maps and Quests respawn, so you can do them over and over again.

The only things you do not keep when you start a New Game are items and Gold you have to leave on the ground.

Note: There is a point where you gain enough Character Levels that you receive little or no XP from killing monsters. That's when it's time to move on to the next Level.

When you Load Game, you start where you last saved the game. Nothing changes. All items on the ground are still there. All monsters killed are still dead. And all Maps (Levels) cleared are still cleared.

You will not get your stuff in difficulty modes like nightmare and hell where in there you lose 2x to 3x much of loot in your inventory. This includes what you wear.
Also not true. Again, the only things you lose is what you leave on the ground.

If you die in Multi Player your gear drops on the ground where you were killed. Hopefully, if you're playing Multi Player, you have teammates to kill the monsters in the immediate area. A Resurrect Spell or Scroll can revive your Character. Then, you can pick up your gear and re-equip it. (I think you lose some XP and Gold for dying. I don't really remember).

Both points I've said are true and you stated yourself you don't remember how exactly it works upon death losing stuff. Single player mode acts differently than multiplayer mode. In single player mode when making a new game you don't keep your progress unless a player saved then load a load saving point. This implies leaving gear or items or both on the ground then start a new game. Single player only have one difficulty which is normal. On normal not all things can be force out of the character bodies upon death what will do it is a level but with a level like hell there's times a person can have half. The rate it goes can be random at times.

Points about losing progress and restarting is something you miss or didn't understand. I've cover the important things needed to grind in a quick summary of each point while explaining little bit more. I've said other points and there's other points that isn't needed to grind a level. Talking about the risk of losing stuff base on the difficulty and the game mode. To your point yes some stuff do carry over but a player can still lose all progress upon death by repeating death. I've made it clear progress is not about states which op wasn't talking about op was more talking about the loot as well how to level by grinding. Repeated death is a known thing in this game and depending on the difficulty you will lose all even the stuff you're wearing.

Multiplayer mode allows all players to save their progress across the domain server of the account of the character. By being online all players can play all difficulty modes from normal, nightmare, and hell. The higher the difficulty the more of a risk players will lose their stuff upon death. The amount of stuff is 2x in nightmare and 3x in hell. Base upon your comment to me you haven't played or don't remember how it works. A player can lose certain amount of gold on level 2 normal mode while losing all with gear on hell mode on level 1. Still lose progress even if a teammate has the stuff for you because that doesn't carry over. If they sell it or did something with it a player can lose that so the risk of losing the progress that is made is still warranted.

This has always been the case and I've played so much of all three modes to know when to keep certain stuff and when to bail. When to counter monsters and when to bail by starting a new game due to the combination it gives you base on what 3 things you're max out on. The risk is warranted so is the punishment. If you have facts I be glad to hear it if not I'm not going to bother. I have nothing against you at all.

Still don't believe me then test it yourself and watch videos on youtube study everything that is shown. Then test it again once every combination is met. I didn't watch videos of how things work in the game I had a bad obsession of playing the game as a kid to my late teens start when the game came out. I challenge myself to learn how the game works. The whole process of doing this takes may take a year or more if there's stuff that been over look. To this day it still works like that. Just because you don't like my comments doesn't mean I'm wrong by two counts there's more that doesn't meet the eye.

Have fun playing! =)