Why limit rebirths?

General Discussion
Why is there a limit on how many characters you can rebirth? Not being able to do it whenever you want just means you need to delete a character and make a new one. What is the point of limiting rebirths?
To prevent people from abusing it as temporary item storage via in-game mailbox.
How does it prevent that? You can still have as many as you want you just delete a character and make a new one.
06/21/2019 06:42 AMPosted by Connery
How does it prevent that? You can still have as many as you want you just delete a character and make a new one.

When you delete a character, you lose all those items on it.. (i guess?)
When you rebirth a char, all items on it goes to mail box, stays there 30 days or until you retrieve it..

It means you got an entire char inventory (plus equipped items) of mailbox space, make that with 6 different chars, and you got plenty of space, temporary, but enough to stash a bunch of stuff.
Partially correct. And the problem that people tend to forget they have items, then lose them after 30 days because they didn't claim them.

In my case, when I rebirth a character, I strip it of all the gear anyway, so there is nothing on my character or my followers to be put in the mail system in the first place.

But then there is a space issue. Once you commit to the season, that character is stuck in the season till it ends. If you rebirth to allow you to store items in that mail system, it only works for 30 days, then they get deleted if you don't save them to your stash. If you have every class in use and most of the class items stored on the characters (like me for example) then rebirthing more than one or two is going to cause space issues.

Not only that, but Blizzard knew how many classes or characters on average people were using each season prior to adding rebirth and 3 was apparently a common amount.

Just things to think about.
I agree. Not much difference between moving from character to stash then mail system to stash.
06/20/2019 10:22 PMPosted by Connery
Why is there a limit on how many characters you can rebirth? Not being able to do it whenever you want just means you need to delete a character and make a new one. What is the point of limiting rebirths?

Why do you need more than provided?
06/20/2019 10:22 PMPosted by Connery

With in the slots diablo 3 rots give you you have unlimited room. Need room deleted or rebirth. One can always transfer items and gear out before deletion. Rotating gear to three npc that you can hire then rotate back to your main. Stash tabs. This is the features blizzard devs has provide for us when buying the game.

There's a common misconception that many young players have which is "buying the game means I have unlimited space for x y z so I can play my way of whatever I want" this is false since the concept is talking about outside of what was provided to us when buying the game not inside where there's limits to a point and not. The game is about managing space while grinding for loot there's no in between features that will provide a bending of the rule. Also, prioritize the loot that one will take in.

Like others have stated there will be those who will abuse it.
06/21/2019 07:51 AMPosted by DTMAce
In my case, when I rebirth a character, I strip it of all the gear anyway, so there is nothing on my character or my followers to be put in the mail system in the first place.

What you do doesn't apply to other people, just saying.

But then there is a space issue. Once you commit to the season, that character is stuck in the season till it ends. If you rebirth to allow you to store items in that mail system, it only works for 30 days, then they get deleted if you don't save them to your stash. If you have every class in use and most of the class items stored on the characters (like me for example) then rebirthing more than one or two is going to cause space issues.

06/22/2019 09:12 AMPosted by Imhotep
I agree. Not much difference between moving from character to stash then mail system to stash.

If Seasonal Rebirth isn't limited, players can just create a NS character->put items in inventory->rebirth->delete character, rinse and repeat to put a lot of items in the mailbox and all they need is one free character slot.

The process can also be done in small batches so items have different expiration date.
What you do doesn't apply to other people, just saying.

True, but many do this, not just me.

06/22/2019 02:46 PMPosted by HunterKiller
If Seasonal Rebirth isn't limited, players can just create a NS character->put items in inventory->rebirth->delete character, rinse and repeat to put a lot of items in the mailbox and all they need is one free character slot.

The process can also be done in small batches so items have different expiration date.

Now you are being thick.

The expiration for storage is 30 days.

Do you really want to play the stash shuffle every 30 days to keep from losing things because you are out of space? I sure as hell don't. If you have a full stash, and a full character inventory, rebirthing is going to hose you over if you don't stay on top of your gear. Wouldn't be as bad if we could end a season early, but sadly that isn't an option either.

Typical Season can go from 2-4 months, depending on the mood of those in charge.

They set rebirth at 3. Its 3. End of line.

You should do a search on how many posts we have on the forums from those who lost items because they "forgot" about the mail system.

Having more rebirths could potentially exacerbate the problem.

I keep up to 2 stash tabs empty or mostly empty, specifically for rebirthing one or two characters during a season. Because I have to. I also don't keep gear I don't really need or is junk. Class specific items are stored on the related class of character, not in my stash.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Game on.
06/22/2019 03:29 PMPosted by DTMAce
Now you are being thick.

You're the one who's trying to apply what you do and what you think to other people. The personal remark is uncalled for.

06/22/2019 03:29 PMPosted by DTMAce

Do you really want to play the stash shuffle every 30 days to keep from losing things because you are out of space? I sure as hell don't. If you have a full stash, and a full character inventory, rebirthing is going to hose you over if you don't stay on top of your gear. Wouldn't be as bad if we could end a season early, but sadly that isn't an option either.

Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean it's the same for others.
And the problem that people tend to forget they have items, then lose them after 30 days because they didn't claim them.

((Simple approach)) Stash all items before rebirth -- equiped on character/follower and in character inventory.
06/22/2019 11:37 PMPosted by SilverFox
And the problem that people tend to forget they have items, then lose them after 30 days because they didn't claim them.

((Simple approach)) Stash all items before rebirth -- equiped on character/follower and in character inventory.

If you had read above, I already stated this, twice.

You're the one who's trying to apply what you do and what you think to other people. The personal remark is uncalled for.

And your opinion is any different? Honestly?

As for the personal remark well, you aren't thinking it through is what I was saying. Why would you WANT to create MORE work for yourself during the season, trying to juggle items when A: Your stash is too full to do this and B: You have the potential to lose items you wanted to keep?

06/22/2019 09:27 PMPosted by HunterKiller
Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean it's the same for others.

Exactly! Flip that around, it can fit both situations.

We don't need more rebirths, if anything we need more space, and since we are CLEARLY not getting that, everyone is going to have to suck it up and deal.

Game on.
06/23/2019 07:24 AMPosted by DTMAce

We don't need more rebirths, if anything we need more space, and since we are CLEARLY not getting that, everyone is going to have to suck it up and deal.

I never said we need more rebirths....I'm not even sure what I said to give that impression.

All I've ever said is why unlimited seasonal rebirth is never gonna happen.

As for the personal remark well, you aren't thinking it through is what I was saying.

Read above and realize you're barking up the wrong tree.
rebirth and get instant 30 item spaces for a month.. if not reclaimed deleted permanently..

nice way to make items disappear.
06/23/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Astig
rebirth and get instant 30 item spaces for a month.. if not reclaimed deleted permanently..

nice way to make items disappear.

Yes it involves a lot of hassle and risk but it's still better than being forced to salvage the items in the first place, and that's why people might do it if given the chance.