Advice for frustrated wiz player

Wizard
Hey,
I'm a 322 paragon wizard player with a full Vyr's and Firebird set. I tried some of the Vyr's builds but I don't like Arcane Torrent as my primary as it wipes me out of arcane power quickly, and while Archon is nice, the cd is terrible. I actually prefer Firebird with Disintegrate as secondary.
My problem is that I can't even get past a lvl 37 GR. I can't kill fast enough and I get perpetually dogstomped. If I can't do any decent level GRs, I can't get better gear, rinse and repeat. Is gear all that important, or what am I missing?
TBH, forget the Firebirds. It is a gimmick mechanic that requires you to get a burn in elites in order to maintenance max DMG and defense. On low GRs they don't have enough health. Makes the whole thing poop.

In the Vrys, it was suggested in the forums here, to tap instead of hold the arcane torrent, because the high AIS from all those stacks will bleed your AP. This to helped me a ton.

After that, prioritize CDR on gear. A non ancient gloves with CDR and Crit is much better than an ancient without. So on and so forth.

A third option would be a Tal Rasha meteor build. Both the simpler Meteor Shower, and the burst Start Pact will take you far.
In the Vrys, it was suggested in the forums here, to tap instead of hold the arcane torrent.

What does this do? does the initial cast cost less AP?
06/24/2019 06:37 PMPosted by Venaliter
In the Vrys, it was suggested in the forums here, to tap instead of hold the arcane torrent.

Tapping arcane torrent slows down your AP spend so you don't completely empty your resource globe. It's useful in a single-target scenario such as the RG. You want to avoid completely emptying your resource globe since that causes a default cast animation that yields no zodiac procs.
06/24/2019 06:37 PMPosted by Venaliter

If you are using The Swami your Archon stacks (and the increased attack speed) last for up to 20 seconds once Archon expires. If you don't carefully manage your resources and accurately hit mobs you will burn through your AP in an instant.