List of things that causes lag

General Discussion
Let's list the things that cause lag here. Maybe one day Dev's will find ways to fix it. (like how they reworked Shield pylon to get rid of lag)

To start,

1. poison ground effect causes lag. (especially when necro skeletons are around)
2. throwing black hole into huge amount of density causes lag.
3. bone armor in huge density causes lag. (rework bone armor?)
Area Damage
Blue goblins
High level of projectiles onscreen. We saw this with the original Carnevil and DH Slowball.
06/24/2019 11:58 PMPosted by JohnTravolta
3. bone armor in huge density causes lag. (rework bone armor?)

I've played a Necro this season that uses bone armour. Had plenty of high density fights and not seen this cause lag at all.
Act 5 and it's weird glow/lightning.

Something similar also happens in Act 2 sewers. Thank god it's not whole act.
4. Your horoscope.
06/24/2019 11:58 PMPosted by JohnTravolta
Let's list the things that cause lag here. Maybe one day Dev's will find ways to fix it. (like how they reworked Shield pylon to get rid of lag)

I wouldn't exactly say that they had reworked the shield pylon, more like they had it regressed back to how it previously was.
How to fix the lag in d3. Reduce the damage numbers to about 10% of its current state.
Probably best to differentiate between internet lag, personal hardware lag, and server lag. Of the three, the third is the one Blizz can only really best hope to address, with the second being incredibly variable and by no means a matter of high-end systems vs. potato PCs.
06/25/2019 05:19 AMPosted by Orrion
4. Your horoscope.

LOL xD
06/25/2019 08:31 AMPosted by Saidosha
Probably best to differentiate between internet lag, personal hardware lag, and server lag. Of the three, the third is the one Blizz can only really best hope to address, with the second being incredibly variable and by no means a matter of high-end systems vs. potato PCs.

I agree with you there, I used to have lag problems but then my Internet provider updated their systems/hardware in my area and I haven't had any major issues since.
Too many stash tabs apparently?
1. Opening over 150 bounty caches at the same time.
2. My daughter downloading every cat video on the internet.
06/25/2019 09:42 AMPosted by jimbo
06/25/2019 08:31 AMPosted by Saidosha

I agree with you there, I used to have lag problems but then my Internet provider updated their systems/hardware in my area and I haven't had any major issues since.

Occasionally there will be major outages or congestion, which is where people sharing their IP traces can be handy to identify. Sometimes it may be something as simply as a major hub changing a port, where with enough complaints Blizz could call 'em up and tell them something's wrong. Otherwise, more random things are just kind of crossing your fingers and hoping whatever issue resolves soon.

The US generally having trash net or no access to reliable landline broadband is still a problem of its own. Main reason why I feel the Stadia is gonna fail when Google launches it later in the year.
06/25/2019 10:59 AMPosted by Saidosha
06/25/2019 09:42 AMPosted by jimbo

Occasionally there will be major outages or congestion, which is where people sharing their IP traces can be handy to identify. Sometimes it may be something as simply as a major hub changing a port, where with enough complaints Blizz could call 'em up and tell them something's wrong. Otherwise, more random things are just kind of crossing your fingers and hoping whatever issue resolves soon.

The US generally having trash net or no access to reliable landline broadband is still a problem of its own. Main reason why I feel the Stadia is gonna fail when Google launches it later in the year.

yeah, I'm guessing it's something game related since there were only 2 other people in my clan playing but I was just in the game a few minutes ago and it was nothing but lag.
Playing on a potato.
Blackhole
Thorns.

Side note, I believe the change to the shield pylon was to remove the reflect damage it did. Thorns is very similar to, if not the same as, reflect damage.
Don't forget a crappy computer.
06/26/2019 07:37 PMPosted by Solace
Don't forget a crappy computer.

Got that one.

06/25/2019 01:44 PMPosted by DonMartin
Playing on a potato.