Seasonal Vyr Archon Help

Wizard
Hi all -
Been a while since I wizard-ed, figured I'd work on a Vyr Archon set. I usually like to get and stay on the leaderboard for a season, a moderate goal of hitting somewhere around the middle. I feel like I've picked a challenging class this time around since the bottom is, what, 118 now?

I'm feeling stuck at around 112. I've tried running with both rubies and topaz, similar results. I'm not sure if I've hit the serious fishing phase, which I hate and is usually why I don't aim to get higher on the boards. Unless I'm missing something, I feel like I have pretty good rolls on gear and got lucky with a Primal COE. So, asking for advice if I have anything tuned wrong here. I know there's debate about AS vs % on the weapon, I've tried both and AS feels better, but I'm open to guidance.

Is it just paragon/fishing at this point?

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Taus-1545/hero/90595604
Couple minor things and one major thing I see.

The major thing: You are not running Galvanizing Ward ( instead, running Unwavering. You'll see an immediate improvement switching to Ward)

The minor things : Topaz instead of Ruby at your paragon level is more beneficial, and you should try to pick up a Vit roll on your bracers instead of +armor. I might put 300 into Vitality to help offset the loss.

Your primal CoE isn't doing you many favors. You'd probably have better luck with an Ancient Zodiac and cubing the CoE.

At paragon ~1100, I would expect 118 GR to be fairly routine. Stuck at 112 means something is fairly wrong somewhere; it's a playstyle thing. The lack of galvanizing is probable a major factor.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these tonight. I was pretty much running right off of the Deadset guide at this point but Galvanizing does make more sense when I think about it.

Yeah, I go back and forth with the rubies. Sometimes it feels better and sometimes not. In group GR doing higher rifts I lean towards the rubies just to help avoid the chain reaction domino of death, lost all stacks, have to start over, meaning I'll probably die again.

On the bracers I stuck with this one and went with the Cold reroll since it procced a 98% on the secondary.

What's the inherent benefit of Zodiac vs CoE worn vs. cubed?
May I piggyback onto this?

At what Paragon level can we safely switch from Halo of Karini/Storm Armor to CoE and Energy Armor?

I have an ancient Chantodo wand begging for a Gift to drop, so I can socket it. Any other suggestions for me, gear wise?
Thanks, I'll take a look at these tonight. I was pretty much running right off of the Deadset guide at this point but Galvanizing does make more sense when I think about it.

What's the inherent benefit of Zodiac vs CoE worn vs. cubed?

The benefit is when you can roll 50% CHD in exchange of the IAS from Zodiac. 50% CHD is a far superior damage stat, as attack speed is heavily diluted from Archon stacks. But you still need the CDR and CC stats, so you need fortune to smile on you and give you an ancient CoE with CDR or CHD on it.
06/21/2019 04:36 PMPosted by Dusk
May I piggyback onto this?

At what Paragon level can we safely switch from Halo of Karini/Storm Armor to CoE and Energy Armor?

It's never safer :-), but it has a higher damage potential. I would say when you have mostly ancient gear with the right rolls, and you have begun to augment.
@Taus - Augmenting a 45 stack Fazula's Belt was a bad idea. Maybe one of the Wiz pros around here can quantify the difference for you, but I would run a non-ancient 50 stack belt over that thing, even with a 100 level augment.

@Dusk - You're way too low paragon to be running rubies, the benefits you get from topazes far outweighs the armor from rubies at P869 (I'm almost at 1400 and still haven't switched). Your gear looks to be relatively correct as far as items and rolls go, you simply need augmented ancient versions. At some point you will want gloves with CDR in addition to the Crit rolls, but that's a low priority right now. Focus on getting ancient shoulders, pants, helm, and boots with the correct rolls, and watch for a new Compass Rose to drop in the meantime, as literally any fresh drop has a high chance of being better.

I switched to CoE around P1200 pushing 118, full ancient gear with correct rolls and about half augmented.

Edit for clarity: I do not play wiz a lot, if a regular comes in and corrects something I've said, they are probably correct. Good luck.
Hi guys,
This is my first time playing the build, so this is probably a really stupid question but I've been wondering if there is anything obvious that I might be doing wrong. I'm still low para in a suboptimal un-augmented gear, and I'm still learning to play the build, which is probably why I'm having trouble at GR100+. That said, the major trouble I have is with some RGs and I've never played a build before where I can steamroll through just about everything without even paying much attention, only to have the RG tear me a new one, which made me thing that maybe I'm doing something wrong...

To be more specific, if I time things right and hit the RG with two 150+ Archon stacks, I get get him to half his life within that rotation. But that's where the problems start, especially if I run into something like Orlash where I have to teleport often so as not to get caught in the lightning from both RG and his clones.
I guess my question really is, how on Earth do I build up Archon stacks? By the time I get 20 Chantondo's, my previous Archon stack is pretty much gone and I'm starting at 50 again. Maybe I get to 100 (if things go well) and just as I start doing some damage, Archon ends, and I'm back to square 1, collecting chantondo's and dodging attacks because with sub 100 Archon stacks, I'm a bit too squishy...

Am I missing something obvious? Or do I just need to be more tanky, so I don't waste time dodging attacks?
06/22/2019 05:33 AMPosted by Pja
Hi guys,
This is my first time playing the build, so this is probably a really stupid question but I've been wondering if there is anything obvious that I might be doing wrong. I'm still low para in a suboptimal un-augmented gear, and I'm still learning to play the build, which is probably why I'm having trouble at GR100+. That said, the major trouble I have is with some RGs and I've never played a build before where I can steamroll through just about everything without even paying much attention, only to have the RG tear me a new one, which made me thing that maybe I'm doing something wrong...

To be more specific, if I time things right and hit the RG with two 150+ Archon stacks, I get get him to half his life within that rotation. But that's where the problems start, especially if I run into something like Orlash where I have to teleport often so as not to get caught in the lightning from both RG and his clones.
I guess my question really is, how on Earth do I build up Archon stacks? By the time I get 20 Chantondo's, my previous Archon stack is pretty much gone and I'm starting at 50 again. Maybe I get to 100 (if things go well) and just as I start doing some damage, Archon ends, and I'm back to square 1, collecting chantondo's and dodging attacks because with sub 100 Archon stacks, I'm a bit too squishy...

Am I missing something obvious? Or do I just need to be more tanky, so I don't waste time dodging attacks?

Attack speed on weapon is a huge boost to building both Chantodo and Archon stacks faster, also swap Storm Armor to Power of the Storm rune so that you can channel your Arcane Torrent without running out of AP as fast.
06/22/2019 04:09 AMPosted by Foamy7
@Taus - Augmenting a 45 stack Fazula's Belt was a bad idea.

I actually disagree with this logic on general principle. The activity that leads to augmenting (Greater Rifts) is something that's being done anyway, so the leveled gem was just sitting in my stash. It can't do any DPS in there. :)

Regarding the stat though, I'd love for someone to really quantify it because from my perspective I can't fathom how it has a big impact outside of my very first archon. Meaning throughout the entirety of my rifts, I'll have 175 - 200 stacks already. Is having 180 - 205 instead, while giving up an otherwise decently rolled belt, really going to make that much of a difference?

With that said, I'm the one who posted here that I'm having trouble, so I'm open to being proven wrong there.
06/22/2019 06:29 AMPosted by Taus
@Taus - Augmenting a 45 stack Fazula's Belt was a bad idea.

I actually disagree with this logic on general principle. The activity that leads to augmenting (Greater Rifts) is something that's being done anyway, so the leveled gem was just sitting in my stash. It can't do any DPS in there. :)

Regarding the stat though, I'd love for someone to really quantify it because from my perspective I can't fathom how it has a big impact outside of my very first archon. Meaning throughout the entirety of my rifts, I'll have 175 - 200 stacks already. Is having 180 - 205 instead, while giving up an otherwise decently rolled belt, really going to make that much of a difference?

With that said, I'm the one who posted here that I'm having trouble, so I'm open to being proven wrong there.

Again I'm not an expert, but I read Cratic's guide on Reddit at the beginning of the season and shamelessly lifted this:

Fazula's Improbable Chain:

Gives up to 50 Stacks upon entering archon. You want to have as close to 50 as possible. 48-49 is acceptable, 50 preferred. Any less than that in ancient I would say is not worth equipping, as this would lower your attack speed stack requirement too much, and also reduce starting damage and toughness, very detrimental for a build that has such a steep domino effect.

With that, I've never worn anything less than 48 during the season. Cratic is a resident expert on Wiz and knows what he is talking about so I trust it is correct, but I can't quantify it for you. His posts on the mechanics are light years beyond anything I know about any class in this game.
Regarding the problem with the RG:

Sounds like you are face tanking and then losing your Halo of Karni buff. That buff requires an enemy to be at a distance.

Try stepping away from RG for a brief moment.
One question I have is how to prioritize rolls.

IAS seems useful at the start but I don't know if we even want it on gloves?

I wonder if the IAS on my gloves, Compose Rose, and my Zodiac are wasted/inefficient rolls
Foamy7, Ivan, both very good points - thanks guys!
@Taus - Augmenting a 45 stack Fazula's Belt was a bad idea. Maybe one of the Wiz pros around here can quantify the difference for you, but I would run a non-ancient 50 stack belt over that thing, even with a 100 level augment.

@Dusk - You're way too low paragon to be running rubies, the benefits you get from topazes far outweighs the armor from rubies at P869 (I'm almost at 1400 and still haven't switched). Your gear looks to be relatively correct as far as items and rolls go, you simply need augmented ancient versions. At some point you will want gloves with CDR in addition to the Crit rolls, but that's a low priority right now. Focus on getting ancient shoulders, pants, helm, and boots with the correct rolls, and watch for a new Compass Rose to drop in the meantime, as literally any fresh drop has a high chance of being better.

I switched to CoE around P1200 pushing 118, full ancient gear with correct rolls and about half augmented.

Edit for clarity: I do not play wiz a lot, if a regular comes in and corrects something I've said, they are probably correct. Good luck.

Thank you. I'll switch back to Topazes when I log in tonight
06/22/2019 07:29 AMPosted by Foamy7
Again I'm not an expert, but I read Cratic's guide on Reddit at the beginning of the season and shamelessly lifted this:

Understood. I will look into this and see if it makes a difference for me. And just to be clear, because I don't want to come off a certain way, I wasn't dismissing what you were saying about the belt so much as the general thought (across all classes) that it's somehow a waste to augment a piece of gear you're wearing if that piece is not great. It's still the one you have for now, and if you have the gem, you should use it.

But yeah, I may have a non ancient sitting with a better roll. I'll give it a try.
So, I don't understand it, but the belt made a big difference. I wish I better understood why that makes a difference - again, like 5 stacks in a sea of almost 200 on average when I pop my second Archon seems to me that it means it should only impact your "opener." Clearly there's something I'm missing there.

Also rerolled back to AS from damage% and I definitely find that more enjoyable.

I also switched from CoE to Halo and I'm playing with levels of paragon in vit vs int. I kind of feel on track now because I'm tankier and now worrying more about damage output vs. survivability, which is what I'm more used to dealing with right before whatever the leaderboard is.

I've only done a couple but just finished a 114 pretty easily, so I think I have the flow now. Thanks everyone for the help.
So, I don't understand it, but the belt made a big difference. I wish I better understood why that makes a difference - again, like 5 stacks in a sea of almost 200 on average.

It's most noticeable on the RG, when you have to hit a certain amount of stacks (209?) to keep 5 attacks per second. It does help to snowball the first two activations, too.