Do Rockets proc area damage?

General Discussion
Rockets

Multishot - Arsenal
Cluster Arrow - Maelstrom, Shooting Star

Do rockets from those skills proc area damage?

Do rockets from sentries after using those skills with M4 set also proc area damage?
There seems to be some debate about whether or not Proc coefficients apply to Area damage, so I am editing this to remove Proc rates.

Yes, for Shooting stars.
Yes, for Maelstrom.
Yes, for Arsenal.
Yes, for Sentries that fire their default skills.
Yes, for other Skills fired from Sentries via M4.

Also, keep in mind that rockets from a single source will not hit an enemy multiple times, so when you are firing at the RG with Maelstrom, you will hit him with 6 rockets per shot, not 18.
Is area damage relevant to proc coefficient? I thought that all attack (if it can produce area damage) has equally 20% chance to deliver area damage regardless of proc coefficient.

The reason why I am wondering is that some attacks such as Chantodo Wave, Sweeping Wind, and Etched Sigil do not produce area damage.
06/28/2019 09:55 AMPosted by Fangskin
Is area damage relevant to proc coefficient?
Edited to reflect tests preformed.

Looks like Skill proc rates do not affect Area Damage.
I'm pretty certain Area Damage isn't governed by proc coefficients. It's a flat 20% chance across the board regardless of whether or not a skill does single target or AOE damage.

Edit: Per the guide below, it's a flat 20% chance.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/12032383478
I have read several guides, and people holding both positions regarding proc coefficients, but I am just posting what I observe.
Thanks for all the answers. It seems like rockets can produce area damage, but it is very hard to test/verify.

I find a video that confirmed "CA - Loaded for bear" from sentries can proc area damage. I hope it also works for "CA - Maelstron" rune.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qwv3-QynNI
If this were true, then when you gather a dense crowd of 50-75 mobs and fire Multishot, a single mob in that pack would likely get hit well over 10 times with area damage, and I do not see this happening in the game.

This is one of the reasons why Full Broadside works so well in high GR.

Area Damage an such an important multiplier that wudijo used an Ess of Johan amulet in one his Full Broadside clears a while back to maximize its effectiveness.

This mechanic can be tested fairly easily. Simply use an Initiates hand crossbow and equip a +min damage ring to raise the min above the max, isolate two zombies on the Old Tristram Road, fire 20 multishots, and observe how many proc AD.

I'll test after work and post my results.
Methodology

1. Stood on the bridge outside of New Tristram in TVI and let 2 zombies slap me.

2. Equipped Initiate's Hand Crossbow and +Min damage ring. Cubed Yang's for the RCR. Lowered CHC to 5% to remove crits from the test as much as possible.

3. Shot Zombie 1 and watched for AD to proc on Zombie 2 (AD damage was 60K, which was about 60% of my normal damage).

4. Conducted three separate tests of 20 shots each and recorded the number of AD procs.

Results

Test 1: 20 shots with 4 AD procs. 20%

Test 2: 20 shots with 6 AD procs. 30%

Test 3: 20 shots with 4 AD procs. 20%

Conclusion

It's a flat 20% chance to proc AD with any skill unless the Devs arbitrarily disable it.

P.S. Once the zombie fell below 60% life, AD started procc'ing even faster due to the double hit. I even observed one MS cast proc AD from both hits. The AD procs were summed together and returned a value of 120k.

Please note that the double hit was not a factor during the test. After the test was over, I dropped the zombie down to <60% life to see if I could spot a double AD proc.
Thanks for testing!

I will edit my posts above to reflect.
Thanks RedCell,

Is it also possible for you to test whether "rocket" rather than regular shot also proc area damage?
06/28/2019 08:14 AMPosted by VitaKaninen
No, for Sentries that fire their default skills (Spitfire, etc).

I am not sure about the rockets from Spitfire, but regular sentry attacks do proc AD. Proof can be found in my video, which Fangskin already posted. There are only a few of the very small numbers (17,332 and 7669) indicating AD procs from sentry bolts, but there are some.

About Maelstrom: I did not verified it, but I made some good experiences with AD on Cold-N6M4. So I would guess that it works there as well. ;-)

Edit: I did a quick test, and Maelstrom rockets can proc AD as well. Id didn't seem to happen very often, though. Don't know whether there is a lower proc rate, or the zombies in my quick test were just too far away from each other.
06/28/2019 11:45 PMPosted by Hebalon
Don't know whether there is a lower proc rate
I forgot to edit that part. I got that from the proc rate table for skills, but if Proc rates don't apply to Area Damage, then I am not sure why they would be lower.

Possibly because they are only affecting single targets, instead of causing damage to multiple mobs at the same time.
06/28/2019 11:45 PMPosted by Hebalon
Edit: I did a quick test, and Maelstrom rockets can proc AD as well. Id didn't seem to happen very often, though. Don't know whether there is a lower proc rate, or the zombies in my quick test were just too far away from each other.
Thank you so much for the verification.