How to make my Crusader stronger?

Crusader
I've hit a wall at Torment V. Past that and I'm having difficulty. What gear should I aim for to finish Torment X? I'm trying to finish the season Champion challenge and most of the challenges require beating bosses at Torment X level.

I'm alternating between bounties, rifts, and grifts right now. Doing too much of the same thing bores me so I just alternate between these. I'm just following the season challenges to level my character. Should I continue doing that or are there specific things I should do? (like aim for crafting hellfire rings or whatever)
07/03/2019 12:15 PMPosted by A1Jao
I've hit a wall at Torment V. Past that and I'm having difficulty. What gear should I aim for to finish Torment X? I'm trying to finish the season Champion challenge and most of the challenges require beating bosses at Torment X level.

I'm alternating between bounties, rifts, and grifts right now. Doing too much of the same thing bores me so I just alternate between these. I'm just following the season challenges to level my character. Should I continue doing that or are there specific things I should do? (like aim for crafting hellfire rings or whatever)

Ok, so first, the ONLY thing you have going on that's right is the 6 piece invokers set - Everything else is ALL over the place.

Diablo is NOT a game in which you can expect to do whatever and then play at even the medium levels now - You have to make sure there is 100% synergy with EVERY single piece of equipment, skill slot, ect.

You have NO synergy, and you seem to not understand the basics of Invokers.

Invokers is a build that focuses on 3 things only - Thorns, Attack Speed, and Toughness. 99.9999999999999999999999% of your damage will come from the Invoker's 6 piece proc - Each use of Punish deals 15000% of thorns in damage.

Thus, you want to attack fast, you want to maximize your thorns, and everything else - Crit chance, area damage, ect - Is completely useless.

The easiest way to figure out how to gear is to look through the Crusader leaderboards and copy the Invoker builds you come across.

As I don't have time to go into detail right now, I can simply say this - Except for the 6 invoker pieces and Aquilla Cuirass, you may as well have NO gear on, and your cubed powers may as well be empty, that's how much they contribute to your character's power.
Thanks for the reply. I figured as much as I looked through the Invokers builds here. If Crit chance and area damage are useless, should I not waste paragon points on it and put those points somewhere else?
Well, i had that build a while back, and i was able to solo GR90~.

You miss a few itens, like the:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/justice-lantern-P4_Unique_Ring_03
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/heart-of-iron-P4_Unique_Chest_018 (you can put this one on the cube)
Try to roll thorns on many itens as you can..
Change your weapon to a 1handed (and put the passive to attack faster), remember, your weapon damage dont affect much the damage you do on enemies..
You can try to find the hack
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/hack-Unique_Axe_1H_103_x1
But its not good as it sounds.. as you do 15000% thorns damage without it and up to 15100% damage with it.

Also, you may want to chance your weapon gem, as mentioned, crit chance/dmg dont affect your overall damage using that build.
Put a Topaz gem there, if i remember right its 38.000 + thorns damage.

Roll secondary affix into + thorns.

I had, without any buff, 250k thorns damage, you should have at least 100k to solo TX.
07/04/2019 04:22 AMPosted by Blaquicat
Well, i had that build a while back, and i was able to solo GR90~.

You miss a few itens, like the:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/justice-lantern-P4_Unique_Ring_03
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/heart-of-iron-P4_Unique_Chest_018 (you can put this one on the cube)
Try to roll thorns on many itens as you can..
Change your weapon to a 1handed (and put the passive to attack faster), remember, your weapon damage dont affect much the damage you do on enemies..
You can try to find the hack
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/hack-Unique_Axe_1H_103_x1
But its not good as it sounds.. as you do 15000% thorns damage without it and up to 15100% damage with it.

Also, you may want to chance your weapon gem, as mentioned, crit chance/dmg dont affect your overall damage using that build.
Put a Topaz gem there, if i remember right its 38.000 + thorns damage.

Roll secondary affix into + thorns.

I had, without any buff, 250k thorns damage, you should have at least 100k to solo TX.

Heart of Iron used to be ok for Thorns, but ever since Thorns had all of their damage shifted to single target, you put Nemesis Bracers in the cube, 100% of the time to ensure that you can complete a GR (Otherwise, you get stuck at the end of the rift with 20% or more progress left, and nothing but tiny little mobs to kill. Not fun)

Since it's fairly easy to get a high level chip these days, the priority for Thorns isn't top, its more around...

If a piece can have AS, but doesn't, roll AS.
If a piece can have CDR, but doesn't, roll CDR.
THEN roll for thorns if it can have thorns, but doesn't.
(Also make sure to keep toughness in mind!)

Hack is completely useless for Invoker's, and is now purely meant for LoN builds.

@OP, here's what you need to do based on your profile..
1: Legendary Gems. Invoker's uses Chip (HUGE damage boost), Trapped (Solid damage boost), and at high lvl GRs, Stricken (Also a huge damage boost). You can replace Stricken for utility gems such as boon, or defensive gems such as Estoric's.
2: Abilities. You go Punish-Celerity for the attack speed, Iron Skin - Either Steel Skin, for better defensive capabilities, OR Flash, for significant mobility. Steed Charge, for even more mobility (You don't kill trash, you go straight for elites with Invokers). Akarat's Champion - Prophet, which you have right. Law - Most people use Law of Valor, Invicible for the LoH+attack speed. Your last skill can vary a little bit - Most people use Provoke for the taunt+defensive boost, but feel free to experiment the best defensive/utility skill here.
3: Gear. On your helmet, use a Diamond - CDR is by far the best. On your chest/pants, use either Diamonds if you desire toughness (It gives quite a bit more toughness then Rubies) or Rubies if you want damage. On your weapon, topaz 100%.
Belt - Belt of the Trove so you can keep up the bombardment defensive buff.
Jewelry - Justice Lantern is mandatory due to it's HUGE defensive boost. Otherwise, you can use a combination (Equipped and cubed) of: Convention of the Elements, Unity, Endless Walk set(Traveler's Pledge+Compass Rose), Hellfire Amulet (Ring is useless), and Stone of Jordan (If your defense is solid and you want more offense)
Shield - Akarat's Awakening.
Weapon - Pig Sticker is the absolute best weapon for Invokers, though you need a good one with most of the prefered stats. If you don't have a good Pig Sticker, you can use any 1 handed weapon. 2 handed weapons are garbage.
Cube - Nemesis Bracer in cube for better GRifts. Furnace also in there - Since you chase elites, +50% damage to elites is awesome.

Stat priorities - +%phys damage>AS>CDR>Thorns>Strength>LoH>Vit=Allres=%life>Armor. If you get a block roll on your shield, keep it, but don't roll for block if you didn't get a roll.

Passives - The 2 mandatory passives that you HAVE to have are Fervor and Iron Maiden. Offensive passives are, in order, Fanaticism, Finery, and Long Arm of the Law. Defensive passives are, in order, Indestructible, Hold Your Ground, and Renewal.
Thanks guys! I was able to solo TX after changing some of my items. Still don't have everything. Some of the items are hard to find. Just hoping to get the lucky drop some time. Been making do with substitutes while I look for the items I'm missing.

question. isn't reflective better for iron skin as it adds 300% to my thorns damage while active? i also chose rally for akarat as i think having a faster cooldown is better than more speed and wrath.
07/05/2019 01:27 AMPosted by A1Jao
Thanks guys! I was able to solo TX after changing some of my items. Still don't have everything. Some of the items are hard to find. Just hoping to get the lucky drop some time. Been making do with substitutes while I look for the items I'm missing.

question. isn't reflective better for iron skin as it adds 300% to my thorns damage while active? i also chose rally for akarat as i think having a faster cooldown is better than more speed and wrath.

Reflective's 300% bonus thorns damage stacks additively with Invoker's 2 piece, so it's basically just 1 invokers stack. Very minor damage upgrade, much better to instead get the defense or utility.

The CD on Akarat's Champion is NOT affected by Rally, and once you stack CDR and get Akarat's Awakening shield, Rally wouldn't do anything anyway because you'll be able to keep all of your cooldowns up with 100% uptime anyway. The attack speed, while useful, isn't THAT useful because you already get attack speed from so many other sources. Prophet, on the other hand, is immensely powerful - 150% bonus armor is equivalent to 50% reduced damage taken, and the full-health restoration can be used about every 12-15 seconds once you are geared.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Invoker's will run into survival problems long before they run into the issue of not being able to deal enough damage to finish a Grift - Rather then maximizing damage, you'll want to make sure that you can survive.

Keep in mind that Invoker's only has 4 stats that outright increase damage - Strength, Attack Speed, +%physical, and Thorns - Everything else is all about that survivability. Whereas everybody else has to balance things like Crit chance/Crit damage, Area damage, weapon damage, ect. Thus, rather then maximizing damage, you'll want to instead maximize defense until you get to a point where you just CAN'T progress further without maximizing your damage.

Looking at you now (Decent changes, but def change Punish to Celerity, the +15% attack speed on block), the only thing stopping you from doing T16 at a comfortable rate... Is that you'll get squashed instantly more or less. So yea, Invoker's, when you first start gearing, is all about surviving, more surviving, and even more surviving. It's only when you hit the upper GRs that it becomes about maximizing your damage output AND your survivability.

Some gear specific tips...

Gloves - Reroll the reduced resource cost into Attack Speed.
Bracers - Reroll the Holy Damage to Phys damage, very large damage boost for you there.
Chest - Reroll the Bombardment damage into +life or armor. Honestly, it likely would have been better to have rolled the Arcane res into thorns on that.
Boots - Reroll Shield Bash damage into Armor or life regen.

On the topic of your weapon cube slot - Alternatives to Furnace include...
Blood Brother - The 20% increased block chance along with the 30% reduced damage from blocked attacks makes this a decent defensive option. The 30% increased damage on an attack has NO affect on Invokers though.

Coven's Criterion - The 60% reduced damage from blocked attacks makes this an absolutely incredible defensive option, the strongest for Invokers.

In-Geom. You want to run around killing elites, and In-Geom means that you basically have 100% uptime on all your cooldowns. However, it's value greatly drops once you get Akarat's Awakening.

Swiftmount - Again, you want to run around killing elites, and the increased duration of Steed Charge helps you with that.

However, Furnace is fairly easy to get - There are only 5 2 handed maces that Crusader's can get by upgrading a lvl 70 2 handed mace at the cube. So you should get one within 20 tries, and maybe even on your next try.
I totally disagree with Frogspoison about Reflective Skin. I play as RGK in decent high GRs 120-130 and I find this rune mandatory to kill Élites, while synchronizing it with CoE Physical 4-seconds +200% dmg bonus. While playing in Groups with Supps, normally, I advise you to switch to Reflective Skin; if you lack mobility (it’s important to try to hit always the yellows and blues, since if not you are useless in Groups economy) but you shouldn’t since you run your Steed Charge to move through mobs, you can think about Flash rune of Iron Skin. The other rune of 7 seconds is useless since in melee your AA kills your cooldown. The same reason for Rally rune is useless for AC: Prophet is the optimum (140% Armor + Cheat death).
07/05/2019 08:09 AMPosted by Christyandos
I totally disagree with Frogspoison about Reflective Skin. I play as RGK in decent high GRs 120-130 and I find this rune mandatory to kill Élites, while synchronizing it with CoE Physical 4-seconds +200% dmg bonus. While playing in Groups with Supps, normally, I advise you to switch to Reflective Skin; if you lack mobility (it’s important to try to hit always the yellows and blues, since if not you are useless in Groups economy) but you shouldn’t since you run your Steed Charge to move through mobs, you can think about Flash rune of Iron Skin. The other rune of 7 seconds is useless since in melee your AA kills your cooldown. The same reason for Rally rune is useless for AC: Prophet is the optimum (140% Armor + Cheat death).

I can't really see how it would be mandatory. Keep in mind it's additive to the 2 piece, not multiplicative (If it were multiplicative, it would be the ONLY choice), and since the 2 piece is already at 350%, it's barely even a stack. Sure, if you have 0 stacks, it'll make your next 3 hits fairly large instead of having to ramp up, and I can also see it's usefulness in groups where you have no guarantee of mobs attacking you, but in solo it's an incredibly minor damage boost, since you should be fairly consistently near 30 stacks (I only drop below 20 on RG, and RG's aren't a problem for Invokers, the rest of the rift is).
OP doesn't have AA yet, so the 7 second CD is still useful. Yes, less useful once you have AA, but quite useful without.
great advice guys. i'll keep all of this in mind as i progress with my character. thank you very much for the help.