Is X-Mouse allowed or even a gray area ?

General Discussion
Hey guys just wanted to ask you if X-Mouse are allowed or may a gray area when i programm my Mouse Button 5 with sticky repeat so he would spamm only 1 Skill so my hand wont drops down after hours of playing.

Thanks for you answer.
Years ago this was cleared up by a blue post. The sum of it was "It is allowed as long as it is not automated game-play". I assume stuff like mouse macros are fine.
06/30/2019 02:37 AMPosted by Achilles
I assume stuff like mouse macros are fine.

No, not really. Anything that performs actions that you can't do with the in-game controls are not allowed. The OP wants to spam a skill on repeat which is not something you can do with the game controls. Even in WoW which has an in-game macro maker, you cant automate a skill to repeat like that.

So, technically no, the OP wants to automate that skill press so they run the risk of getting in trouble.
If you wanna spam one skill, just do the numpad trick like everyone else. You don't need a macro for spamming one skill. Guess anyone can agree that thing is still legit.

Input frequency of macro plays a major role of something resembling gray area or straight-out troubling. I can not recall or give a measure right now since I'm not really interested in macros. If you cycle through many different spell casts in a slick order and tight period with one button press then that's not gray area at all, but high level play made it a standard sadly. No matter how much you deny it.
Yeah i know the Numpad trick but if you move/attack or use a other Skill than he want make the skill what you locked with Numpad.

06/30/2019 03:59 AMPosted by MissCheetah

Anything that performs actions that you can't do with the in-game controls are not allowed.

so all kinds of things is not allowed even if i would have a Logitech Mouse and the software had the option right ?
06/30/2019 05:10 AMPosted by I3lackDevil
if i would have a Logitech Mouse and the software had the option right ?

According to 90% of forums you have to burn it in a ceremony and repent to not cheat again because that's what fair play is. You have a gaming keyboard that uses macros? That too. Only plain white keyboards and 2-button mouse are allowed, because elitism.

In all seriousness though, on another account 90% of forums have no idea why game evolved to be that way on high level play; it's a repetitive clickfest with dead ends and stops being fun once you burn out. Macros are just there for mitigating bad randomization and designers know that.
I'll repeat again, it has something to do with the frequency of the input, but no one can really give you a proper measure on that either. Some say one input per second, some say an input per click and anything above those are cheating, let along a gray area. I say stop asking unless you look for stirring crap among forums, we had a deadbeat out of that subject already and I'm tired.
06/30/2019 07:07 AMPosted by naksiloth
Some say one input per second, some say an input per click and anything above those are cheating,

Nobody that I know of ever said one input per second. The rule of thumb from the Blues is one click = one in-game action per game client.

06/30/2019 07:07 AMPosted by naksiloth
Only plain white keyboards and 2-button mouse are allowed, because elitism.

Pretty sure you are being sarcastic for effect, but that is not true. Gaming keyboards and mice are fine to own, just review the rules of each game you play to determine how to use the nice gaming features within the rules.

So the answer to the OPs question remains that what they want to do falls under Blizzard's definition of automation so they would be at risk of an account penalty IF caught.
The way I see it is, if your macro is doing the same thing that the Numlock trick does, there shouldn't be a problem.
IMO set it up so one button toggles the repeat key press of one button. I would suggest every 0.5 seconds.
I do not recommend, and I think it would be cheating, if you had one button activate a sequence of three different abilities. Such as the Star Pact rotation. I don't believe that one would be allowed.
Miss Chetah, your post is a little obscure.

The game allows you to relaunch a skill once the cooldown has reset, You can do this by manually pressing a key or by setting the key to do it for you. No gameplay changes occur in that the skill is relaunched in line with the game design.

In effect that is “spamming a skill on repeat”. Many people do that when the skill cooldown is achieved, by repressing manually or automatically. The skill still performs as intended in the time frame intended.

You could put some scotch tape over the left mouse button. It still would perform as intended to perform (while drinking your coffee you lazy arthritic necro). -)

No, not really. Anything that performs actions that you can't do with the in-game controls are not allowed. The OP wants to spam a skill on repeat which is not something you can do with the game controls. Even in WoW which has an in-game macro maker, you cant automate a skill to repeat like that.

So, technically no, the OP wants to automate that skill press so they run the risk of getting in trouble.

Tell that to Darkpatator who is a EU player who adamantly uses macros, and has never had any action against him/her. The person even has youtube videos that has the proof on them.

If you think its a grey area, just don't do it. Then you can't get banned.
06/30/2019 01:05 PMPosted by LazyTurtle
Tell that to Darkpatator who is a EU player who adamantly uses macros, and has never had any action against him/her.
I recall that there was probably only one time when they actually banned people for using them. I can guarantee that people have been using them since.
They dont ban botters or maphackers. Im pretty sure your safe using a programmable mouse.
Basically, all mouse macros are bannable.

However, just cause they are doesn't mean you will be.

Everything is looked at by a human before the trigger is pulled. You could end up with someone unreasonable and get banned for something that numlock does.

You probably get flagged for just having the Logitech software running. The question is if you have some macro that chains multiple commands in succinct faction with no obvious human variance. You might be in danger of getting the shaft.

I agree with most others if it's numlock like, you probably will get a pass.
06/30/2019 09:08 AMPosted by Obxer
You can do this by manually pressing a key or by setting the key to do it for you.

06/30/2019 09:08 AMPosted by Obxer
Miss Chetah, your post is a little obscure.

No, really it is not. The game is designed to activate a skill when you press a button. If you have it do so automatically without player input, that is automation. Automation is what Blizzard has an issue with.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/5795159954#post-11

Omrakos
Jun 14, 2012
It does't matter what device or program is used. If it performs a task that automates portions of the game, it could be in violation of the Terms of Use/End User License Agreement and result in an account closure, if detected. I can not give you permission to use any such device or application. If you choose to use it, you do it at your own risk.

This guidance has not changed.
It's pretty bloody simple really, as MissCheetah has pointed out (repeatedly): One press must result in only one action. Holding down the button or key is still one press and the game engine registers it as a hold since it has not received the KeyUp event. World of Warcraft does this as well (though it has an extra option to cast on key press or KeyDown or the original default of KeyUp while D3 has only the former but allows holds just like WoW).

You're allowed to remap buttons in any way you see fit so long as only one button or key is mapped to any single input, be it key or mouse button. You cannot assign multiple keys to a single button, nor can you use a macro that triggers abilities in sequence or auto-repeats via the KeyDown/KeyUp sequence.

It isn't hard to figure out. One action from you equals one action in the game client. If you're trying to do something the game engine itself does not allow, then you do so at your own risk. You might get caught, or not. Just remember that if you take chances, anything can happen.

umm wrong. This was extensively covered for keyboard and mouse macros for WOW and diablo being a product of the same company follows a very similar TOS if not exactly the same.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/1772567980#post-10
Nevalistis Community Manager
6630 posts
Jan 1, 2011
The use of a macro is fine so long as it only accomplishes a single action. The use of automation, where a single keystroke will accomplish multiple actions, may be considered a form of botting and could result in account action.

The use of a keyboard with this functionality is fine - so long as it does not get used to accomplish the latter.

The support article we have on how to stay in the game covers this in a much more verbose manner than I might be able to (without quoting it word for word). You may want to give that a look first. >^.^<

How to Stay in the Game (Part 2 of 2)
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21507
My feeling is, a macro or turbo button that repeats a single keystroke is fine, it's just doing what you can do, pressing one button.

A macro that fires off a series of commands though is automation, thus not allowed. But YMMV.