Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers + Life on Hit

Wizard
I recently found a Primal Ancient Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers. It features the following properties:
  • Intelligence
  • Vitality
  • Critical Hit Chance
  • Life on Hit

• Obviously, I need to enchant one of the properties to elemental damage. My instincts tell me to change Life on Hit (LoH), since Vitality directly benefits the potency of my shields (St. Archew's Gage gloves + Galvanzing Ward passive). However, I would like a second opinion on this, because I can only choose one property to enchant, and I am unlikely to find another Primal version. So, I suppose the obvious question is: Is there a Wizard build that would benefit more from having LoH than Vitality? And, does LoH replenish shields, or would it be obsolete while a shield is active?

Thanks!
    Congrats! Very nice bracers.

06/28/2019 11:11 AMPosted by HelloKitty
    And, does LoH replenish shields, or would it be obsolete while a shield is active?

Nope. It's basically obsolete while a shield is active and you are at full health.

It can be sort of helpful still. E.g. if you take a big hit, your freshly generated shields will prevent your health pool from taking any additional damage while you regenerate with your life on hit. But as soon as you hit 100% HP, the extra life on hit does nothing.

So yes, generally having a lot of shields makes Life on Hit less valuable. Not completely useless, but less valuable. I'd favor vitality over life on hit. Someone at stupid high paragon might favor life on hit over vit, simply because they have the luxury of dumping some excess paragon into vit. If you have 3000-5000 extra vit from paragon, that 650 more vit from bracers isn't as valuable. And the life on hit looks more appealing.

If you're running Galvanizing Ward, I'd definitely favor vit as well. With that passive, you are hoping your life pool hardly ever takes damage, so that you maximize your Galvanizing Ward uptime. In order for life on hit to be valuable, your life pool has to be constantly taking damage. But if that's the case, then Galvanizing Ward isn't really working. So for Galvanizing Ward I'd keep the vit. Life on hit would really only be good for a Deflection-only build where your shields are constantly getting overwhelmed and your life pool is taking regular damage so that the life on hit can actually do it's thing.
    Thanks for your input.

I am a solo, Seasonal Hardcore player who currently has under 700 paragon levels. It is doubtful that I will surpass paragon level 1000 before the end of Season 17, so I will not be able to put excess paragon points into Vitality. And because I intend to keep St. Archew's Gage equipped in my current LoN build, I might even opt to augment my new bracers with Amethysts for more Vitality (it's not permanent, after all). But, for now, I will probably keep my Ancient Nemesis Bracers equipped and save my Primal Ancient Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers for pushing into Greater Rift 80. *fingers crossed*
    Congrats! Very nice bracers.

So for Galvanizing Ward I'd keep the vit. Life on hit would really only be good for a Deflection-only build .

I think Tinne hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'd add is you have to decide what passive you are going to use. If you like, and plan to stay with, Galvanizing, keep the Vit. If you plan on Cold Blooded or Unwavering, you need the Life on Hit.

That said, keep in mind, Life on Hit rolls 30% higher on weapon then it does on Bracers, even adjusted for the differing max stat rolls.

Cold Blooded, EE and Unwavering are more damage-oriented set ups.