Dead Game?

General Discussion
07/01/2019 01:24 AMPosted by daddy
So. Im curious how many people are actually still playing. I've noticed that no one barely streams d3 anymore as much as before..... Ill provide proof when its prime time later cuz rn its 4 am.

What happened?

Streams don’t have anything to do with how many people play. There’s no algorithm you can plug the number of streamers into and get a reliable player count.

But more importantly.. what’s the point of your question?

Let’s say we could prove or disprove that D3 was dead. So what? Are you going to play it more if it isn’t? I doubt it. And what if it is? Are you going to quit arbitrarily? Again, I doubt it.

And you seem to want it to be dead for some reason. Why?
So you have dismissed every private game being played. You have based your entire statement off of public games only. Also, if you're not finding a rift groups after 30 minutes, you're doing something wrong like playing in an off popular difficulty.

It was t16
What does this have to do with factual numbers of any kind? Landing on the leaderboards after a ban wave only means there were enough players banned to get you on the boards.

We count bots as a healthy player base now, do we?
So you have dismissed every private game being played. You have based your entire statement off of public games only.

I have had similar issues with bounties. Can you explain to me what would be the purpose of farming bounty bags solo? Everyone with brain would do it in public.
07/01/2019 06:26 AMPosted by Grumm
They are not robbing Peter to pay Paul. Your last paragraph is all speculation and assumptions on your part.

Actually, Peter supporting Paul is part of business. If D3 servers are truly costly, then they indeed shifting money from one IP to another, as D3 is not monetized and can't support itself.
However, if they are utilizing virtualization, no one is robbing anyone.

And of course it's a speculation. I don't work for Blizzard. However, listing the possibilities does not make the speculation wrong.
07/01/2019 09:35 AMPosted by Orrion
Let’s say we could prove or disprove that D3 was dead. So what? Are you going to play it more if it isn’t? I doubt it. And what if it is? Are you going to quit arbitrarily? Again, I doubt it.

Is asking a question, albeit something hard to swallow question so taboo?

Streams don’t have anything to do with how many people play. There’s no algorithm you can plug the number of streamers into and get a reliable player count.

Im going to explain this plainly as possible

Statistically speaking, if more people play it. Odds are a percentage of those people would be streaming it. By that one could surmise that if let's say fortnite a huge game would have a huge amount of streamers LIVE actively playing in real time for everyone to see.

Put it bluntly the more people playing the more, odds are the number of people streaming it are bigger than a game that isn't played as much
Ive been playing since vanilla and i dont think ive ever watched a d3 stream. If i have it hasnt been for longer than a few minutes. D3 and this genre of game in general is really boring to watch someone else playing.
take the streamers and forum dwellers/posters and you have less than 1% of the active online playerbase.
07/01/2019 12:23 PMPosted by Mlenk
Ive been playing since vanilla and i dont think ive ever watched a d3 stream. If i have it hasnt been for longer than a few minutes. D3 and this genre of game in general is really boring to watch someone else playing.

Tell that to Path of Exile.

https://twitchtracker.com/games/313558 Diablo 3
https://twitchtracker.com/games/14304 Diablo 2
https://twitchtracker.com/games/29307 path of exile.
I'm still waiting for the concrete evidence to show that there's a solid correlation between the number of streamers and the number of active players. Until undisputable proof of that has been provided, using the amount of streamers for each game is completely pointless. So far no evidence of that has been provided.
07/01/2019 12:42 PMPosted by Kirottu
I'm still waiting for the concrete evidence to show that there's a solid correlation between the number of streamers and the number of active players. Until undisputable proof of that has been provided, using the amount of streamers for each game is completely pointless. So far no evidence of that has been provided.

I mean, blizzard wont release the numbers. So this is the best case scenario we will ever have and if the numbers at this scale is not looking good for diablo 3 then imagine how bad it is in life size scale.
If you don't provide the necessary evidence, then your claims have absolutely no base. The number of streamers for each game mean nothing. They don't reflect active playerbase in any way.

Show the undisputable evidence or shut up.
D3's lifespan is the least of our worries, considering how many people's BRAINS are dead around here.

07/01/2019 12:49 PMPosted by Kirottu
If you don't provide the necessary evidence, then your claims have absolutely no base. The number of streamers for each game mean nothing. They don't reflect active playerbase in any way.

That will never happen. This is his fulltime job.
That will never happen. This is his fulltime job.

PREV

I mean look at Fortnite for example right now it has 11k+ live streams according to twitch tracker. Given that it has 70 mil active players rn or so compared to diablo 3's 106 live streams.

You can easily deduce albeit prob not as accurate as actual numbers but you can deduce that diablo 3 has abysmal player base numbers as of currently.

not my fault that you can't put 2 and 2 together :x
07/01/2019 01:00 PMPosted by daddy
Given that it has 70 mil active players rn or so compared to diablo 3's 106 live streams.

07/01/2019 01:00 PMPosted by daddy
not my fault that you can't put 2 and 2 together :x

When you do a straight math it says D3 has 674k playerbase.
(70mil/11k) *106 = 674k
07/01/2019 05:49 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Sort of like the cycle of life

Not really. It's the lack of update content which do that. See the blizzard fps per example. Lack of content update kills a game.
Technically, it's not dead because you can still play it. You can play it officially, it's still supported by its company.
However, there seems to be only a tiny fraction of current players, but D3 has its active (and by 'active' I mean mostly 'botting') audience to this day and there are many more (most of us) waiting to see where all this is going.
07/01/2019 01:14 PMPosted by PardalBR
Sort of like the cycle of life

Not really. It's the lack of update content which do that. See the blizzard fps per example. Lack of content update kills a game.

IMO it's not so much the lack of content that kills a game like Diablo.
Diablo 2 hasn't had a content update since... I don't even know when, and it's a solid game even for today's standards.

Hell, I would argue, that for a Diablo game to be good, it must be balanced for a year or two after it's last content patch and then must be left alone.
I don't like the game being flipped on it's head every other month.
I don't like my builds being invalidated due to patches.
I don't like destroying BiS primals, because the devs figured they should get an extra bonus, that doesn't get added retroactively.
Things like that don't make me wanna play more, they make me wanna play less.
07/01/2019 01:14 PMPosted by PardalBR
See the blizzard fps per example

I would argue, that the main problem of Overwatch is not lack of content.
IMO the game's competitive mode is terrible and so is the balancing.

The game get's stuck with the most enenjoyable and unfun meta for months and sometimes years. Players get sad and put the game on hold.

Competitive does not behave in a similar fashion to any other competitive game, that I've played.

In a game like WoW during TBC and WotLK, Arenas worked out fine. The matchmaking system worked out fine, because it was designed to find slightly stronger, or slightly weaker opponents and it was rewarding you accordingly.

In Overwatch, the game is designed to find both opponents AND allies. It supposedly tries to create a match where you have 50% chance to win.
Unfortunately, that does not tell you anything about the quality of your allies. There are big, noticeable differences in the skill of players on the same team. Despite of having similar current rating, the game doesn't display their matchmaking ratings.
The game usually plays out like this. Both teams have 4 good players each, and 2 idiots. The game gets reduced to which two idiots pick a role on which they can perform.
If your idiots pick something they can perform with, your team wins. If they don't and the enemies do -- you lose.
You can play like a madman on 300% and it wouldn't make a difference, it wont affect the outcome in any way.

You know what content will be interesting for Overwatch? The replays, where you will be able to demonstrate how flawed the system is, as you'll be able to record the games and show them from the perspective of the window lickers the game puts on your team. You'll be able to compare how you play on 300%, while someone on your team is doing nothing in what supposedly is an e-sport.

Is asking a question, albeit something hard to swallow question so taboo?

Don’t answer questions with questions. What difference does it ultimately make whether the game is “dead” or not?

And there’s nothing wrong with asking a question.. except:
a) when the question you pose is unanswerable with the data you provide, and
b) when you come in with a predetermined answer.

In other words, there is no point in you asking the question because you won’t accept anything except what you already believe is the answer.

Im going to explain this plainly as possible

Statistically speaking, if more people play it. Odds are a percentage of those people would be streaming it. By that one could surmise that if let's say fortnite a huge game would have a huge amount of streamers LIVE actively playing in real time for everyone to see.

Put it bluntly the more people playing the more, odds are the number of people streaming it are bigger than a game that isn't played as much

So what? You still have no way to determine any sort of solid figure or proportion of active players based on the number of people streaming a particular game.
So. Im curious how many people are actually still playing. I've noticed that no one barely streams d3 anymore as much as before..... Ill provide proof when its prime time later cuz rn its 4 am.

What happened?

They migrated to playing the TRUE endgame of Diablo 3, The Forum, and it looks like you are having a GREAT time playing it!
07/01/2019 12:30 PMPosted by daddy
07/01/2019 12:23 PMPosted by Mlenk

Tell that to Path of Exile.

https://twitchtracker.com/games/313558 Diablo 3
https://twitchtracker.com/games/14304 Diablo 2
https://twitchtracker.com/games/29307 path of exile.

I was only speaking for myself. What is popular or not has no bearing on what i personally find entertaining. Case in point. I have also never played or watched any MOBA game. I spend my time playing and watching another dead game called Starcraft

What happened?

The game officially died when Diablo: Immortal announced along with confirmation of multiple Diablo projects being in development.
Dead games are ones in which the publisher has shut down the servers and turned out the lights.
I hope that when that day comes (not likely) Blizzard would be magnanimous about it and permit continued private servers.