List things you want BACK for D3

General Discussion
Blizzard North.

game list instead of matchmaking

Game list and Chat lobby so we can floss our gear ... /sign
The (almost) endless grind to the max level. Inferno should start at level 60 but max level should be level 70. All mobs are skulled level and damage given and received is dependent on your level.

Ladder (even though I didn't care to compete)

Stats and skill allocation. I fear that replayability will be harmed with the current system.

Gambling.

Oh crap moments!

The eerieness from D1.
I also wanna add... 8 player capacity dueling games

imagine a public dueling game with 4 players max.. how boring
-- Manual stat point control
Basic RPG concept... if it aint broke, don't fix it.
It was broken in D2. It needed to be fixed.

I want gear that buffs specific skills. Gear won't add skill points like D2 did, but it could add extra damage to a specific skill. This would add variety to gear builds and force us to make more meaningful discussions than just stacking 'Attack' to do more damage.

I would also like to see Sentry Blade return in some form. The Assassin skill was one of my favorite skills in D2 because of how it worked, but it wasn't very viable in hell. Hopefully, one of the DH's skills can be runed to act like Sentry Blade.
-- Manual stat point control
Basic RPG concept... if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Why was it broken in D2? because there was a good build and a wrong build? Isn't this a natural process of learning the game?

oh since it was 'broken' let's just make everyone the same so we dont have to deal with balancing

Why was it broken in D2? because there was a good build and a wrong build? Isn't this a natural process of learning the game?

oh since it was 'broken' let's just make everyone the same so we dont have to deal with balancing
The goal of a customization system should be to let players design character to fit their play styles. There should be a wide variety of good and bad builds. But that's not what happened in D2. Except for a specific Sorc build, everyone ignored energy. Almost every single build was just enough str/dex to wear gear and the rest in vit. At that point, stats aren't part of a build. They're just part of a standard formula everyone follows.

Plus, you may not like the D3 stat system, but it WILL have stat point control. The control is just focused on gems and item enhancing. And there will be good and bad builds.
I am just going to go down the list and explain why anyone complaining about the following are simply ignorant and have only heard about this information through QQ threads like this one.

Client/Server Architecture

Also known as online play only. This choice was made to prevent hackers an botters. Yes eventually we will see bots and hacks developed for Diablo 3. These programs however will take much, much longer to produce and develop due to the fact that they must collect and alter data that is stored on the Battle.net servers.

When these programs are finally developed and ready for circulation the users of them will be either instantly flagged by the internal security in Battle.net (like in WoW) or a player will see the hack and report them. Either way a ban will be issued within days of the initial use. Blizzard banned over 100,000 accounts within the first month of the release of WoW. More and more tried to get past Warden and the new ticket system but were quickly banned. The same will happen in Diablo 3.

Having online only provides a vastly safer community for honest players to enjoy the game. I would trade LAN and offline play for that any day.

Real Money Auction House

The RMAH (Real Money Auction House) is not the same as buying power! Every player in the Diablo community, whether they PK or PvM, trades items. We get items and then trade the items for more or better items. Then we take those items and trade some more. And when our stash is full of items we make a new character and trade some more.

This system however was disrupted by third party sites selling items for real money, most of the time them being duped. This was extremely common! They used bots to not only farm but also to spam their websites causing an unsavory environment for players.

With the RMAH the popularity of these sites will plummet therefore the amount of possible botters and spammers for these sites will also plummet. These numbers will also be reduced due to the online only system.

The RMAH will allow players to sell gold which can be amassed easily. Selling this gold will provide players with real money income and allow them to buy items on the RMAH. This means any player can use the RMAH for free.

All items that are placed on the RMAH will be from players and players only. Blizzard will not add any items to the RMAH. They want players to fully control the market.

There will be 3 sets of fees. One for listing the item (this fee is wavered for X amount of items every week to promote use of the RMAH). One for selling them item and one if you wish to move the money into your third party online banking account (Paypal). If you do not want to "Cash Out" this fee with be wavered and the money will be place into your Battle.net account. All fees are flat and Blizzard will make a slight profit after paying for bandwidth use.

Attributes

Attributes were removed because there was no customization. In Diablo 2 and every other game like it you would simply stack points into your main attribute and then the rest into life without ever getting anything into another unless needed for a specific build.

An example for a Hammerdin.

Strength enough to use Enigma
Dexterity enough to get 75% block
Everything else into Vitality
Nothing in Energy.

This same build was used for Trappers, Javazons, Bowazons, Ele Druids, WW Barbs, Sing Barbs, Chargeadins, Zealots, Bonenecros, Summonnecros, etc... Pretty much every single build with the exception of certain poison and energy shield.

This is not a fun customization system. No matter what you do this pattern is going to repeat itself. Instead of just letting it go on they stopped it and wanted us to turn our attention to other gameplay mechanics.

Skill Trees

The same issues occur here with the Attributes. You would stack points into one or two skills and the rest were just used into synergy skills. Even with the WoW style talent tree similar issues were occurring and restricted customization of skill sets.

With the removal of the skill trees we are no longer constrained by trees and can access up to 6 of any of the spells and abilities available to our class. I was hesitant about this at first but once weighing out the benefits I found it to my liking. Mixing and matching skills on the fly and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Hostile

I love ganking as much as the next guy but we all know it was a broken system that needed to be changed. Having a entirely separate game or mode for PvP was the right choice. If hostile was introduced into the campaign there would simply be too much griefing among pugs.

No Competitive Arena

I am also disappointed in this but after hearing what Jay has to say about I have to agree with him. Diablo 3 is a game that is supposed to be about having fun with your friends. A heavily competitive environment isn't fun for a lot of people.

I personally hate arena in WoW and prefer to do RBG's with a premade group. However I found the arena in Diablo 3 to be extremely fun! I don't care if it is ranked or not, it was the most fun I have ever had in PvP since my days of grinding to rank 14 with my guild on my first WoW character.

If the community wants it badly enough we can see competitive arena in Diablo 3! We simply need to show our support and offer constructive feedback for it.

Four Player Cap

Do you have more than three friends that are online at the same time? I don't, I have way more than 3 friends but to have more than 3 online at the same time wanting to play together at once? It has rarely ever happened.

I was hesitant about this change at first but Jay Wilson brings up a great point. There is so much going on in the world that it is simply too difficult to keep track of everything. Having four player is hectic enough but to consider having 8 players at a time casting all those high quality graphical spells at the same time? It is simply too much for the average player.

Don't despair though, if the outcry is large enough there very may well be a change to allow 8 player games. And by outcry I mean mature, constructive posts.

WoW Graphics

Diablo 3 looks nothing like WoW. I have no idea where you are getting this idea from. Just because the contrast isn't turned all the way down and it has slightly stylized characters doesn't mean it looks like WoW. Guild Wars 2 looks great right? Well it is stylized too. Starcraft 2 looks amazing, also a stylized game. Both have huge amounts of blood and violence shown in it.

The "realistic" graphics in games like Aion and Rift don't last very long. They soon become out date and especially boring. The muddy colors and uninteresting models make the game dull. I personally prefer to see my monsters explode into a shower of color blood and fall on my character's shiny armor that I traded and farmed for.

Conclusion

These game mechanic changes were not made lightly. A lot of hard work and thought were put into them. They were made for specific reasons to better the game and move towards the goal of making a fun co-op game that is easy to pick up and hard to put down.

Instead of just jumping to conclusions and make random posts try actually reading the interview transcripts or watching developer commentary videos. Try to understand their point of view.
08/24/2011 08:13 PMPosted by Revolvur
Skill books sound like a good idea with the current skill system.. the basic skills can be learned as you level but the more powerful and unique ones will be on a book, random world drop.

I absolutely loved skill books in D1. But with that said I believe it worked best in d1 and it wouldn't be the same in any other game

1) -Adria the Witch
where is she and what happend. some rumors of a kid or shes dead or she became Andarial, I want to know more!
The only thing i care about the things you listed is the last one, but I would be able to get over it.

What I'd like from D2 :
- Cow level ( or any similar easter egg :P )
- 8 player cap
- Offline play
- Chat gem
The Hidden...

The death sound effect was so awesome!
The Hidden...

The death sound effect was so awesome!

They were my favorites in D1 :D
Offline single player mode.
Attributes

Attributes were removed because there was no customization. In Diablo 2 and every other game like it you would simply stack points into your main attribute and then the rest into life without ever getting anything into another unless needed for a specific build.An example for a Hammerdin.Strength enough to use EnigmaDexterity enough to get 75% blockEverything else into VitalityNothing in Energy.This same build was used for Trappers, Javazons, Bowazons, Ele Druids, WW Barbs, Sing Barbs, Chargeadins, Zealots, Bonenecros, Summonnecros, etc... Pretty much every single build with the exception of certain poison and energy shield.This is not a fun customization system. No matter what you do this pattern is going to repeat itself. Instead of just letting it go on they stopped it and wanted us to turn our attention to other gameplay mechanics.

Skill Trees

The same issues occur here with the Attributes. You would stack points into one or two skills and the rest were just used into synergy skills. Even with the WoW style talent tree similar issues were occurring and restricted customization of skill sets.With the removal of the skill trees we are no longer constrained by trees and can access up to 6 of any of the spells and abilities available to our class. I was hesitant about this at first but once weighing out the benefits I found it to my liking. Mixing and matching skills on the fly and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Yes, yes, we know! D2 had a broken system! We all played it too. This isn't breaking news and it does not justify what they have done. Instead of fix the problem, they have simply neutered the game.

Games like Titan Quest and Path of Exile both have some smart, unique systems for fixing the issues D2 had late in it's life. I was really looking forward to how Blizzard was going to put their talented team up to the task. Instead they backed down and gave up.

I wanted a new system too. The old one was just as broken and limited as you, and hundreds of others have repeatedly stated while trying to silence people who do not like the choice to just remove the systems all together. But the new "system" as in "we don't have a system" is undefendable and I still can't grasp why so many people are embracing it.

I would rather have a flawed system that can be tweaked and balanced over time than have core RPG aspects ripped out wholesale. Apparently I am alone in that preference though.