I don't want Respec on Diablo III.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 23 Next
Lucied that wasn't a quote from me, please fix it!

Also from what I understand ladder resets were to reset economy, not necessarily to force people to rebuild.
That's true. They also acted as a starting pistol for a renewed interest in the game. I enjoyed the opportunity to build a retinue of characters from scratch again with everyone else doing the same.
Level 5 guys to 60. Realize you don't need to build any more characters. Feel disappointed that you're pretty much done the game til expansion.

Diablo 3 isn't purely about leveling characters. Have you forgotten about all of the loot to farm?

Finding that perfectly itemized item will be no easy task and will take a very long time indeed. Don't forget the fact that gems now have 14 levels, or that level 7 runestones might have attributes on them that fluctuate as well.

The way I look at it you could easily spend a year or more trying to get the perfect runes, gems, and gear for even one character.
08/28/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Swoof
Arkay really hit the nail on the head, as long as incentive is there to build new chars from time to time - there shouldn't be an issue keeping respecs in the game.

D3 shouldn't add incentive to make new classes when you've already leveled all 5 classes. It should add incentive to keep playing those classes after they're leveled. If you like leveling, that's fine. Reroll all you want. But the focus of the game should be on using the characters you already have.

I don't know how many sorcs I built. I enjoyed every last one of them. I know how many wizards I'll build. That's depressing.
So you basically want the same endgame we got 10 years ago? That's depressing.
08/28/2011 06:09 PMPosted by Monath
Level 5 guys to 60. Realize you don't need to build any more characters. Feel disappointed that you're pretty much done the game til expansion.

Diablo 3 isn't purely about leveling characters. Have you forgotten about all of the loot to farm?

Finding that perfectly itemized item will be no easy task and will take a very long time indeed. Don't forget the fact that gems now have 14 levels, or that level 7 runestones might have attributes on them that fluctuate as well.

The way I look at it you could easily spend a year or more trying to get the perfect runes, gems, and gear for even one character.
Yeah. We've just arrived in the realm of the dull. Sorry. :\ I mean, Inferno is an improvement for sure. But even playing the entirety of A1-4 in inferno over and over and over again for years can only hold so much appeal.
08/28/2011 06:11 PMPosted by Lucied
D3 shouldn't add incentive to make new classes when you've already leveled all 5 classes. It should add incentive to keep playing those classes after they're leveled. If you like leveling, that's fine. Reroll all you want. But the focus of the game should be on using the characters you already have.

Well said.

No, I certainly believe there's room to branch out so far as actual challenging end game content goes, and inferno is a great start to that. I just think that this is an unfortunate loss to that.
Lucied that wasn't a quote from me, please fix it!

Also from what I understand ladder resets were to reset economy, not necessarily to force people to rebuild.

It was for everything, rolling a new class, new build, fresh economy, everyone plays together, no rushing initially. Ladder is awesome.

WoW would be awesome too if they reset everyone/thing on the servers from time to time. People would level and experience the game together again as it was made to be experienced and maybe start having fun again. Instead of logging in the city, running around maybe do a daily on their 85, then logging off. Things tend to get stale after a while, just don't want Diablo 3 to suffer this same fate.
08/28/2011 06:12 PMPosted by Static
Yeah. We've just arrived in the realm of the dull. Sorry. :\ I mean, Inferno is an improvement for sure. But even playing the entirety of A1-4 in inferno over and over and over again for years can only hold so much appeal.

Yeah I feel you there. Don't know what it is for me though but I always have fun as long as my character still needs gear.
08/28/2011 06:14 PMPosted by Static
No, I certainly believe there's room to branch out so far as actual challenging end game content goes, and inferno is a great start to that. I just think that this is an unfortunate loss to that.
You didn't lose anything. There's nothing stopping you from rerolling all you want.

You didn't lose anything. There's nothing stopping you from rerolling all you want.
10 Character limit that went along with this change says sup.

EDIT: Also, part of the fun was the necessity. To do the new thing, you had to level up the new guy. If there is no new thing to do cuz your current guy does all the things... well then there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This goes back to the "Is farming baal fun?" "Yeah, it can be." "Would you farm baal if you never got anything out of it?" "Probably not?" conundrum. Reward makes the trial fun. Just because it requires a reward in order to be fun does not mean it's a poor mechanic though.

once i have a level 85 warlock, there is no need for me to make another 85 warlock unless i want to play on another server, and that is with ur system (costs gold to respec wow characters)

if i have a lv 60 witch doctor, why would you make a system that points twards forcing people to make more than one witch doctor to get all one can out of the witch doctor class...

not to mention we all have 10 character slots, we cant just make a new account to get new characters

This isn't wow. D2 was awesome because you can play through the game as an ice sorc. Then you can do it all again but as a fire sorc. Then as a light sorc. It's essentially 3 different classes, each time it gives you a vastly different game play experience. And that is just the 3 skill trees I listed off - the amount of builds each class could have were limitless. D2 was fun because you'd actually play the game with a new build - unlimited respec in D2 would kill that aspect completely.

Diablo 3's focus shouldn't explicitly be on end game like WoW is. Plus it shouldn't take even close to ~14 days /played to be max level.

And by "play the game multiple times" he of course means "get rushed through multiple times." Respecs should have a significant cost, but they should be available because nobody actually likes replaying through the game for the umpteen bazillionth time. Nobody likes having to repeatedly run through the maggot lair and halls of the dead.
Arkay really hit the nail on the head, as long as incentive is there to build new chars from time to time - there shouldn't be an issue keeping respecs in the game.

I don't know how many sorcs I built. I enjoyed every last one of them. I know how many wizards I'll build. That's depressing.

I think you'll find the game gets stale rather quick, when you can quickly have 5 lvl 60's of each class and simply respec them whenever you want. It won't be nearly as rewarding and will reduce a lot of replayability. Instant gratification is always for the worse - everything in life is much more enjoyable when earned. What made Diablo 2 like crack is something that may not be repeatable in D3 if it has unlimited respec.
The thing that no on seems to be talking about amidst their constant euphoria over this "great" new skill system and how "free" it is, is how limited it is going to make the game once people learn the best skill combinations.

With a limited respec or no respec system (I would prefer limited) people need to start from scratch or meet certain requirements if they hear about a new optimized build and want to switch. This makes many people stick with their path instead and find ways to play better or course correct.

But since there are no skill points, and free, easy skill swapping and new gear can just be bought in-game on the RMAH (which I am a supporter of overall), as soon as an optimal skill/gear combination has been found all it will take is a few bucks and a few minutes in a menu screen and you too can have the best build for your class!

For the first few months people who supported this will be happy with all their precious "freedom". Then they will realize that it doesn't limit or eliminate the "cookie cutter effect", it accelerates and facilitates it. It will end up just like D2 with the "right" way and "wrong" way mentality. It just wont take years of people playing, experimenting and learning. It will take weeks.

I used a crap-ton of quotation marks....wow.
08/28/2011 06:20 PMPosted by krameriffic
And by "play the game multiple times" he of course means "get rushed through multiple times." Respecs should have a significant cost, but they should be available because nobody actually likes replaying through the game for the umpteen bazillionth time. Nobody likes having to repeatedly run through the maggot lair and halls of the dead.
Original tentative plans were such that respec allowed for experimentation, but a max level character deciding to start from square 1 would have an easier time of it if they just... started from square 1. I thought that was pretty okay. Le shrug.
I don't see much of a leg to stand on for the anti-respec crowd. Nothing forces you to respec so why not make it a completely free option to use as you deem fit. Just because you like relevelling the same class to spec slightly differently does not mean everyone does. Having the option available doesn't harm your strange conception of what games need to be.
No respecs = no need to make alts of the same class.

This will probably hurt the economy and hurt Blizzard's RMAH profits.
The thing that no on seems to be talking about amidst their constant euphoria over this "great" new skill system and how "free" it is, is how limited it is going to make the game once people learn the best skill combinations.

With a limited respec or no respec system (I would prefer limited) people need to start from scratch or meet certain requirements if they hear about a new optimized build and want to switch. This makes many people stick with their path instead and find ways to play better or course correct.

But since there are no skill points, and free, easy skill swapping and new gear can just be bought in-game on the RMAH (which I am a supporter of overall), as soon as an optimal skill/gear combination has been found all it will take is a few bucks and a few minutes in a menu screen and you too can have the best build for your class!

For the first few months people who supported this will be happy with all their precious "freedom". Then they will realize that it doesn't limit or eliminate the "cookie cutter effect", it accelerates and facilitates it. It will end up just like D2 with the "right" way and "wrong" way mentality. It just wont take years of people playing, experimenting and learning. It will take weeks.

I used a crap-ton of quotation marks....wow.

Another good point. Although I'd like to think Blizz by this point can design a game where each class doesn't have just the 1 viable cookie cutter spec. It will be interesting to see how the game evolves in the regard.

Or maybe it will increase their rename character fee profits.

That's it
I fear that D3 is being designed so that it attracts the lowest common denominator. :<