Alternative Demon Hunter/Monk Resource Colors

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
Personally, I'm not feelin' the Red/Blue for Hatred and Discipline, especially because both Red and Blue are already used Health and Mana, respectively. I propose that Black (Hatred) and White (Discipline) be used instead, as they portray both ends of the spectrum, which is exactly what the DH's split resource is supposed to portray. Hatred sounds to me like a style that is reckless, harmful, and like the Sith, whereas Discipline is supposed to be the complete opposite: calm, cool, collected, and pure. I just feel like Black and White would represent those Ying/Yang styled emotions much better than Red and Blue would. Perhaps, if people have trouble seeing the Black portion, we can have White orbs floating around the Black side and Black orbs floating around the White side, to even further represent the Ying/Yang.

Some of you may say, "Sixen, we're already using White for the Monk's Spirit!" Without changing much of anything else, I would then propose we use either Green or Yellow (preferably Yellow) for the Monk's Spirit. Although I understand why White would potentially be used for Spirit, as everyone imagines ghosts and actual spirits as white figures... In which case, if White is still the preferred color for Spirit, the DH resources could be Black and Yellow instead (no, I'm not a Steelers fan), which I still think represents Hatred and Discipline better than Red and Blue do. Obviously this isn't game breaking, I just think that these color changes would fit the style of the resources much better.

(Note: I'd have put this in the DH Class Forum if it didn't also have to deal with the Monk.)

---

EDIT: On the same topic, I also like the idea of giving the WD a Green "Mojo" resource to get rid of Mana completely. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3082213025
Though, in my idea, if we end up using Green for Spirit, Mojo can be Yellow, :).

---

Here's some mockups of my proposed DH resource, courtesy of OneTwo:
Original: http://oi51.tinypic.com/5pla8y.jpg
Dark-Red / White: http://oi54.tinypic.com/20k8uo3.jpg
Dark-Blue / White: http://oi54.tinypic.com/2my5286.jpg
Black / White: http://oi55.tinypic.com/120jzfq.jpg
While I can recognize your point, I personally disagree. I find that the fiery deep crimson-red they used suits hatred more than anything else I could've thought, and I've always felt that blue is the colour most suited to discipline(afterall, when trying to maintain control over ourselves - the most common saying is 'calm blue ocean' - at least to my experience)

Whereas the sort of ethereal misty white they used for the monk really does just suit it perfectly.
I also, personally disagree with the color change. Though my reasoning is coming more from a Magic: The Gathering stand point.

At the same time, even without the card game, black just does not make me think of hatred. It is too cold of a color, and when I think hatred I think of a BURNING hatred.

Also, blue, symbolically, has often been the color of tranquility and reservation, which is something that discipline usually is connected with.

So I believe that their color choices work.

Edit: For those who might be confused on the Magic: The Gathering reference.

White - > Order
Black - > Death
Blue -> Learning/Studious wizardy
Red -> Chaotic/fury, the most common color for "burn/zerg" decks
Green -> Life/nature
I agree. Demon Hunters resource colors just throw me off. It doesn't say Hatred/Discipline to me. It just says red and blue.

At best red works for hatred but I just don't care for blue as discipline. I think they can do better than more blue and red.
I agree that it needs to change, but I would err on the side of caution about using black simply because the resource orb is behind a black background and black wouldn't translate very well simply because it would be hard to see. But yeah I agree.
Demon hunter is Gothic.. dark.. Hooded.. prob hasent been laid in a while.

I think her Bars should be Black and Dark Purple with blood running through it.

You do realize there are male demon hunters as well, correct?
I agree and I hate the nasty looking line in between the resources, I would be fine with the line but the random arrow in the middle pointing out bothers me. I'm overall just a little disappointed by the resources visual from DH. I think everything about the DH resource/UI style can definitely be improved visually.
black and green would be good... i dont think any other character has green.
08/31/2011 10:53 PMPosted by GreenY
I agree and I hate the nasty looking line in between the resources, I would be fine with the line but the random arrow in the middle pointing out bothers me. I'm overall just a little disappointed by the resources visual from DH. I think everything about the DH resource/UI style can definitely be improved visually.

I disagree entirely. I really enjoy the style of the DH visuals and the "arrows point out" is of a neo-gothic influence, which I appreciate. I also appreciate that the line is solid and that it is easily distinguished between the red/blue mists, which means I don't have to look directly at the resource globe because my eye naturals meshes the two colors into purple.
08/31/2011 10:53 PMPosted by Chaoxshadow
black and green would be good... i dont think any other character has green.

Nope, no other class has green.
08/31/2011 11:01 PMPosted by Twizzlada
Give the green to the monk, and go Black/White for DH, yeah I think that would look great for both the monk and the DH. It would also put an end to all this monk spunk nonsense.

Green = Holy? Yes?

Also, once again, Black would be a horrible thing to use as a resource color because it is set against a black background, and setting just the DH resources on a lighter background would then make the white hard to see.