Runestones?

Items and Crafting
I swear they said they were scrapping the runestone system.
I believe I remember something about difficulty of players learning the effect of each runestone.
As the colors don't typically seem to correspond to specific kinds of effects. They're just different for each skill.

That being said, I love runestones and having to test them out or check a blizzard or third party source to be sure is easy peasy.

They definitely add interesting flavor and customization to the game.
Nope, they never said they were going to scrap the runestone system. I'm glad they kept it, I believe it adds a really unique aspect to the game along with a near endless amount of possibilities for customization.
Scrap the runestone system? After they went ahead and created 6 different versions for each of the 113 active skills in the game?
I'm pretty excited. I still don't understand if they function like regular items, how much space they take up, how they can be combined, etc. But i'm excited :D
Runestones are going to give the game a ridiculous amount of depth. I don't think that's ever been an issue with its player-base, look back at Diablo II with runes, charms, gems, the horodric cube "try-it-and-see-if-it-works" system... it seems convoluted now but once we're all addicted we'll know every runestone effect for every skill by heart and we'll praise this game for another decade. Whenever it comes out... Blizzard...
No they said they were gonna scrap the unrandomness of it, make it gray untill socketed then poof it transmutes into a color with stats, that's only a try they also might not change and keep it the way it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hZxhXCBP8

This is the review with Jay Wilson about runestones.

TLDW; he said logistically it would suck with their current implementation.
Ex. you read the tool-tip of an Indigo Rune and it shows the effect it will have on all 6 equipped abilities.
as far as runestone level mechanics, i guess we find a runestone that is at a given level depending on the game difficulty we are playing at (hell difficulty can drop level 4 runestones or whatever it is), or we just buy it in the AH. but can we increase the runstone level ourselves by crafting/other means? or are we relegated to a runestone level based solely on the level it is when we take ownership of it?
Runestones are a genius way to add flavor to the game and make it in depth. It is one reason I think the items don't have as much spice to them atm. Runestones are incredibly powerful additions to your skills. I love the current runestone system.
I swear they said they were scrapping the runestone system.
I believe I remember something about difficulty of players learning the effect of each runestone.
As the colors don't typically seem to correspond to specific kinds of effects. They're just different for each skill.

That being said, I love runestones and having to test them out or check a blizzard or third party source to be sure is easy peasy.

They definitely add interesting flavor and customization to the game.

I believe you are referring to the change they made from Power/Hydra/Multistrike/etc to Crimson/Alabaster/etc. This is because not every skill can be Power, which added damage. Not every skill could split off and make sense for Multistrike. So they made the names so "general" as to not put an expectation of what the rune would do.
I think that runestones are definitely kick-!@#. However, I found it hard to learn what each different runestone did to each specific skill. I also found it hard learning what each rune and gem did in Diablo 2. Things just take time to get used to. I think that it would be beneficial for Blizzard to implement certain aspects of runestones, though. For instance, maybe Alabaster runestones would apply a stun to the skill or maybe crimson runestones would applie life-drain or something. That way, if you see another player's arrows split into more arrows or other skills knocking back monsters, you would know that the player is using a specific runestone. It would limit the amount of randomization, but maybe that is Blizzard's intent. They might want us to be exposed to as much as possible. After all we're very avid and capable gamers of doing so.

Edit: I looked at the runestones a little closer. Alabaster runestones do seem to apply a stun, golden runestones seem to apply some sort of resource gain, crimson is in effect with damage. Damn, Blizzard is good.
When they first implemented the system that was their full intent, however jay had said that at some point they started to run into major road blocks when certain "traits" that were tied to a particular rune didn't really have any way to affect a given skill. I'd say more often than not they have stuck to a loose system but do not want any specific rules.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Runestones

Early Functions

Prior to Blizzcon 2010, the Runestones (which had different names at the time) were generally accepted to do the following:

Alabaster rune: Wild card functions.
Crimson rune: Generally provides +damage and/or fire damage.
Golden rune: Generally reduces the resource cost.
Indigo rune: Generally provides multishot in some form.
Obsidian rune: Wild card functions.

At Blizzcon it was revealed that this simple, predictable approach, had largely been discarded.