Frequently Asked Questions and Their Answers

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Hey, just thought I'd put up a decent FAQ from the questions I've seen repeatedly asked in the forums. Tell me if i miss something. :)

------------------------------------------BETA------------------------------------------

Q. When is the Diablo III Closed Beta coming out?
A. Only Blizzard knows and they don't plan on sharing until release.
Bashiok:
When closed beta begins there will be press releases, blog posts,
twitter tweets, ticker tape parades, 30's style boxing, confetti manufacturing and
expending, spit takes, coffee manufacturing and consuming, crying, handball
matches (no waterfalls), news ports AND re-ports, anger, too many emails in my
inbox, too many begging threads in this forum, and potentially a few happy people.

You'll know.

Q. Do i need to buy SC2 or WOW to get into the beta?
A. No, any game with a CDkey can be attached to your account to qualify for beta opt in.

Q. Will there be a difference between Friends and Family beta and Public
beta?

A. No, both will go to the skeleton king.

Q. What are my chances of getting in the beta?
A. We don't know yet, they plan on sending out waves of invites. So it could be
1:10000000 or 1:10. Depends on how many and how big the waves are.

------------------------------------------General/Lore------------------------------------------

Q. I have never played a Diablo game, will i enjoy them?
A. Yes!!!!! They are Tyrael's gift to earth! The best games to ever exist. :D

Q. What kind of a game is Diablo III?
A.
An Introduction to Diablo (For Non-diablo players)

Diablo is an Action-RPG. This means it mixes elements typically found in an RPG
game with the fast paced constant combat often found in an arcade or action based
game.

As with many other ARPG games the controls are limited to the mouse for movement and targetting and the keyboard to invoke abilities or bring up character / skill screens.

Lore

The world of Diablo has its own unique lore and is in no way affilated with the one portrayed in world of warcraft or starcraft franchises.

In Diablo the human world of sanctuary is a chess board in a constant struggle between heaven and hell. The rules are simple. Neither heaven nor hell can directly engage man. However, rules are often broken or bent. A prime example is when the three prime evils were banished from hell to sanctuary and began converting its populace to zombies and other monsters. Tyrael is also an example. Tyrael is an arch angel who has directly interfered by aiding heros in their quests and struggle against hell.

Game play / combat
The design mentality in diablo is "there is no such thing as too powerful". Characters may find the first few level extremely easy. One shotting mobs will be quite common. This is because tradditionally the heros of Diablo are very powerful characters. Hells minions on the other hand do not often try to win by pitting equally powerful foes for our heros to deal with but instead by swarming and overtaking them with sheer numbers.

Your character may feel strong at first, but wait till you down to 10% of your skills resources and a new batch of 30 monsters appear and your surrounded.

This is the feel of diablos combat. Its 1 vs 100's

Fans
Much of the fan base of the original Diablo game and the even more popular Diablo 2 + lord of destruction expansion pack games are now "older". After all the diablo 2 was released 11 years ago. Many of these fans want to keep their game pure to its origins and find the idea of concepts taken from other games like World of wacraft as hostile or inappropriate suggestions.

edited - made some typo corrections :)

Q. Is there an offline single player game mode?
A. No, you may play by yourself but battle.net requires you to be online at all times while playing. See http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/latency-no-longer-a-factor-in-d3-combat.

Q. What is the max amount characters i can have per account?
A. 10

Q. Is there character customization such as hair and facial features in Diablo III?
A. Nope

Q. Is there any customization then?
A.
Visual customization/identity in Diablo III mainly comes from four sources: the items you find and equip, colors you dye them, the skills/runes you've chosen, and your banner.

------------------------------------------Gameplay------------------------------------------

Q. What are health orbs?
A. Health orbs are random drops from any monster that when walked through will heal your entire party for a percentage of their health.

Q. If I don't want an item that drops for me, can I make it so others can see the item?
A. Yes, all you have to do is pick up and re-drop the item and it will be visible to everyone in the game.

Q. Is gold shared between characters?
A. Yes, gold is now a number rather than an item in your stash. This item is added up between all your characters gold totals.

Q. Can you place your own stat points?
A. No, the game will automatically place points every time you level to ensure that you don't gimp your character out so much that hell and inferno aren't an option.

Q. What about skill points?
A. They have removed skill points from the game. Rather you now have access to every skill and can place different runestones into the skills to make them different than others skills.

Q. What is my incentive for leveling past 30 when i get all my skills?
A. Diablo has always been and always will be a loot driven game. If you never pass level 30, you never get top tier gear. I'd imagine some people will keep their characters level 30 for pvp reasons.

Q. Are set items still in the game?
A. Yes, however they are now Legendary items that can belong in a set for special bonuses.

Q. Can i switch what skills I'm using after I've chosen them?
A. Yes, you can switch between your skills at will.

Q. Do I see other peoples loot?
A. No, you only see what you can pick up.

Q. What are scrolls of identification for?
A. You no longer have to use them to identify magic items. Now they are only for rare and legendary class items.

Q. Will addons, bots, and mods be supported/allowed in Diablo III?
A. No, D3 will have no support for these 3rd party programs and they will most likely all be against the Terms of Service.

Q. Will there be runewords in Diablo III?
A. No, there will be sockets that will be limited that you can put gems in them and the gem system has apparently had an overhaul since Diablo II.

Q. How will i transfer between my characters?
A. You now have a shared stash with five pages that has a massive amount of space to use account wide.

Q. Are crafting artisans shared between characters?
A. Yes, once they have unlocked the artisan it picks up from wherever you have it on your highest character.

------------------------------------------PvP------------------------------------------

Q. How does one PvP in this game?
A. As far as i know you are required to go into a structured arena they have set aside for PvP.

Q. Why not the hostile system from Diablo II?
A. If you ever tried to PvP in D2 then you know how much of a pain it could be to find a game where people were generally geared and leveled the same as you. Now you are placed in one.

Q. Why isn't there more PvP?
A. Blizzard intend Diablo 3 to be a PvE game, just like the previous Diablo games. The thrill of the game is in killing monsters and finding loot. That said, there may be more PvP features added in the future, but it will never be allowed to take the focus away from PvE.
See this interview with Jay Wilson for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA

------------------------------------------Other------------------------------------------

Q. When I play hardcore, do i lose my stuff when i die?
A. Not only will you lose your stuff, but the character is dead and can no longer be played.

Q. Is this game WOW?
A. No, the only similarities it shares with WOW are lack of first come first served loot, lack of stat placement, an auction house, and that it was made by Blizzard. They are both extremely different games in genre and in playstyle.

And for the love of Diablo, if you get this email. It is fake.

Greetings from Blizzard Entertainment!

We’re gearing up for the forthcoming launch of Diablo III and would like to extend you an invitation to participate in the beta test. If you are interested in participating, you need to have a Battle.net account, which you can create on our Battle.net website.

We will flag you for access to the Diablo III beta test when we begin admitting press. You do not need to go through the opt-in process.

To secure your place among the first of Sanctuary’s heroes,Please use the following template below to verify your account and information via email.

* Name:
* Battle.account name:
* Password:
* E-mail Address:

Thanks and see you all in the Burning Hells!
You can loot ninja in wow.
09/13/2011 09:43 AMPosted by Lletholen
You can loot ninja in wow.

Thanks, fixed it
Q: Will the people that are posting these same questions day after day read this FAQ?

A: Nope.

we can always be hopeful :)
Nice list - Hopefully it will save 1 new thread for each of those topics :)
Requested sticky to cut down on all the threads asking these questions :)
09/13/2011 09:53 AMPosted by VTS
Nice list - Hopefully it will save 1 new thread for each of those topics :)

Thanks, that is what i made it for :)
Yeah, request sticky. ;)
09/13/2011 10:44 AMPosted by Ishman
Yeah, request sticky. ;)

Thanks
You should bold key words in the questions so people can find what they are looking for better :D. Or underline idk, its hard to read. Granted, its a big serious of Q+A, but it might improve the likelihood that someone will read it :D

Edit: Maybe lines inbetween questions too?

/thread
STICKY STICKY STICKY !!! PLZ HELP US MAKE THIS TOPIC STICKY!
You should bold key words in the questions so people can find what they are looking for better :D. Or underline idk, its hard to read. Granted, its a big serious of Q+A, but it might improve the likelihood that someone will read it :D

Edit: Maybe lines inbetween questions too?

This better? Added underline and bold for formatting.
09/13/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Brunobyof
STICKY STICKY STICKY !!! PLZ HELP US MAKE THIS TOPIC STICKY!

OMG is that mail real?? I'm sending my account data right away!! Duuuuerp!
09/13/2011 03:44 PMPosted by Executor
OMG is that mail real?? I'm sending my account data right away!! Duuuuerp!

Constructive criticisms only please.
Much easier to read!
You should remove the exact copy of the scam e-mail from your post, and give an explanation of why it's fake instead. It,s a little misleading for people skimming through your post rapidly.

If you're willing to keep the thread updated, I'd totally report it for sticky. It's a nice info dump!
Still annoyed no stat/skill points. That was half the fun of D2, theorycrafting and seeing if it worked. Like 200fc FB sorc or bearsorc.

Sticky request and +1'ed. Nice work.