Has Activison affected Blizzard for the worst

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
As the title suggests, do you think the merger between Activison and Blizzard has harmed the company? Sure they probably make more money but we continually see choices by blizzard that either ignore the community or effect them negatively. The most prominent example is no offline singleplayer that a great many people want as well as the reduction in mod tools and other community longevity options.

Well, what do you guys think?

Whats the deal with offline single player? why is everyone in an uproar, look at how diablo 2 was single player, open battle net was garbage, all bots hacks and dupes, people even exploited bugs on closed battlenet, Starcraft is online, I just don't understand the big deal I like that its online.

The only reason I can see someone complaining is A.) you have dial-up internet. B.) you want to hack your characters. what other reason is there?

or C you want to be able to play D3 on a plane or D you want to just lan with a friend with a lot less lag. I'm sure I could keep going. And the Activision did effect the price of SC2 it was 60 Some companies are still charging 50 or 20 in the case of Torchlight 2.
You won't be able to play D3 on a plane. Oh noes. It's the end of the world.

LAN is dead. Deal with it. Fewer and fewer games, not just Blizzard games, are supporting it.

And Activision affected the price of SC2? That's a huge stretch. What affected the price of SC2 is the fact that more and more companies are charging $60 for games, and Blizzard felt they could make more money that way. It's not like Blizzard was among the first people ever to make a game $60.
09/04/2011 07:57 AMPosted by Gartlan
do you think the merger between Activison and Blizzard has harmed the company?

No.

Not at all.

Activision has NOTHING to do with the day to day running of Blizzard.

And less than nothing to do with the content or development of any of their games.

It was a merger. Not a buy out.

That's like saying Blizzard ruined Call of Duty. 2 way street.

Although some of the WoW sound tracks on Guitar Hero might be cool............
Activision has no say in what goes on at Blizzard. None. Blizzard is essentially the same as it was before the merger. Activision was owned by the French company Vivendi before the merger, and so was Blizzard. They were both answering to the same higher power before the merger, and it's no different now. All that the merger has done was combine offices and studios. The chain of command remained untouched.
09/04/2011 08:45 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
Isn't Blizzard still under Vivendi?

You could be right there :\ .

What I do know from my friends on the CSF forums is Activision has no say in the operations of Blizzard. Point is they've pretty much always been under some corporations umbrella. Being under Activisions doesn't change anything.

EDIT : Here's a report on the merger from an ex Blizzard employee :

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/04/12/activision-blizzard-is-not-blizzard/
http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/04/12/activision-blizzard-is-not-blizzard-part-2/

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)

You are quite right. In fact, >51% of Activision Blizzard's stock is owned by Vivendi Universal, Blizzard's former parent company. Nothing has changed.

Blind... you are! Blizzard is answering the call of their fans, by getting rid of hacks and dupes... by making all content online. That takes president over those few who 'just' played singleplayer.

Your logic is wrong, and this thread needs to be deleted. What's done is done!

Where's the eyeroll or at least facepalm emotes?

Can we activate these on the forums?

"this thread needs to be deleted" seriously? Are you such a butthurt fanboy that you go into autistic robot mod mode now, do you now work for Blizzard?

Honestly we need the fanboys because to this day, some people still don't know that Blizzard was almost always never it's own company.

Where's the eyeroll or at least facepalm emotes?

Can we activate these on the forums?

"this thread needs to be deleted" seriously? Are you such a butthurt fanboy that you go into autistic robot mod mode now, do you now work for Blizzard?

Honestly we need the fanboys because to this day, some people still don't know that Blizzard was almost always never it's own company.

Thanks for coming to my defense, but I had no "fanboy" in my post. I was pointing out that the OP had an agenda by misrepresenting the facts... and the thread should end.

"What's done is done!"
The lack of offline single player has nothing to do with giving the community what it wants. They already stated why they are doing it and it's nothing new.
Hasn't activision been in the picture since WoW launched? cause i think overall WoW is a pretty killer game and so is SC2.
09/04/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Snotspill
Hasn't activision been in the picture since WoW launched? cause i think overall WoW is a pretty killer game and so is SC2.

No, It was some time before WoTLK came out for WoW. Maybe 2007 or 2008 cant remember exactly when.
This is how retailers work.

To keep it short, Activision had the biggest floorspace, and Blizzard didn't have much.

With the merger, they have the biggest floorspace in all retailers.

Mutual benefits; just one aspect of why the merger is so good.
Blizzard's always been under the umbrella of some large corporation.

Before Activision it was Vivendi. Before Vivendi it was some other company.

Activision has absolutely no say in the daily running of Blizzard. You might as well ask if a particular cloud formation effects Blizzard
Pretty well sums up exactly what i was going to say. They are completely separate, just both happen to be owned by the same company, so that company merged them for their books (mostly)